What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trailing edge ?'s

Dave Bernard

Hey Guys + Gals-

I did the rudder fold today, but I'm not so sure about the results.

On one side of the top it's no where near straight enough- about 1/8" off:

1.jpg

But the other side looks pretty good:

2.jpg

The bottom of the rudder looks pretty good:

4.jpg

3.jpg

and looking down the rudder looks pretty darn straight:

5.jpg

Whaddya think, is this acceptable? I've tried some extra bending, and fluting the top rib to no avail (and yes I've searched the forum...)

I'd almost rather have the riveted trailing edge!!

Also, the plans call for RTV inside the trailing edge- is this really necessary or is that a leftover from the -7 instructions?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

DB

It's really not that bad and if you leave it alone it will be as good as most.

If you want to attempt a fix, I would start with one more test. Lay a straight edge like you were in the photos across the top and bottom at the same time. Sight down the rudder and see if there is a twist. If there is, you may be able to fix two problems at once by removing the clecos at the top left side of the rudder (first picture). Slide the skin ever so slightly forward relative to the rib. This will pull the edge a bit and get rid of the problem you are showing in photo 1. Clamp the rib to the skin tightly and drill. If you have already brought your holes to #40, you may need to drill for 1/8" rivets providing you have edge distance available. I would NOT do this if it creates a twist. However if you can solve a slight twist and this problem at once I think it would be worth the effort. That said, I've been called retentive. It will fly fine if you leave it alone.

Worth what you paid for it.
Guy

Thanks for the reply Guy.

My biggest airplane pet peeve is a crooked flying airplane- just trying to do the best I can to prevent it!

DB

Is the flange on the rib shown in picture #1 parrallel to the skin? It almost looks like it's not quite flush and holding the skin a smidgen wide at the trailing edge of the rib causing the slight hump.

Unless you are really picky about people laying a straight edge on your control surfaces, you're "good-to-go". I've seen some pretty twisted surfaces that didn't noticeably affect the flight characteristics. I'd say that yours is as good as most.

I agree with Mel but Doug also has a good point. You can use seaming pliers to adjust that flange a bit but I'd bet the act of riveting will do the same thing.

Also, since no one else has addressed your question, the RTV in the trailing edge is a good idea. Think of it as cheap insurance; it helps spread the stress where the stiffeners end and prevent cracking. Just a healthy dab at the end of each stiffener pair is enough. Be sure to get electrical type RTV, it is non-corrosive. I believe others have used Pro-Seal, as well, with good results.

Doug-

The flange wasn't perfect, however after I straightened it out some more the problem persisted.

Thanks for the responses everybody, building on!

Beers are always on me!

DB

Back