What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well Howdy Doo.

N130PM

So, once a guy finishes his empenage kit and gets involved with all the pieces that attach to it, a lot of time can go by. Like 17 years.

So with 17 years, and six months of flying, I stepped back the other day and had the strangest realization. There's nothing I need to do. The time is flown off, thoroughly roll checked. It all works, incredibly well. She's washed, vacuumed, canopy is clean, Ipod updated, Huh, I guess I'm done.

I'm Eric Henson from the old Mattronics days. Thought I'd say hi to all those that still linger. I swore off the computer a decade or so ago, as it was taking time from all the details. Nothing personal to anyone. I owe a huge debt to Matt Draile, Bob Skinner, Jerry Springer, Terry Janzi, Werner Berry, Scott Jackson and so many others....

So I built her on the cheap. Did a lot of work for other builders to pay for her. Built an F1, finished a truck load of other peoples stuff. Registered as 13 years of Other Peoples Money (cause all the succeeding years were taken). Lost my best friend in a beauty we made. It's been an adventure to say the least.

She's a time machine. She has her foot in 3 decades. On my initial flight I just wanted to get airborne. Can't express the satisfaction in feeling the plane flying hands off the first flight, while thinking about agonizing about the vertical alignment of your ailerons in a second hand kit back in 1996.

To fly an engine I rebuilt and assembled with the help of Charlie Kuss in 2003, over a case of Michelob on Thanksgiving day, and have it be smooth as silk with not a single issue (ok all those stupid probes don't count), it's just unbelievably satisfying.

Had I put the money and effort into my 401K back in 1993 I would be a much wealthier man, and I'd have cleaner clothes that's for sure. But after all these years and all the people I have known in the RV world, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I can say that I have never encountered another group of people like the RV gang. It boggles most peoples minds that someone would spend 17 years building their dream. They ask "Was it worth it". My answer is, without a doubt!

I'd do it again if I had to. But I won't. Cause I already GOT ONE!!! :D

Hope to see some of you guys at Valkaria on Saturday. If you me say hi, thats pretty much the point of this post.

Oh yeah, permission to come aboard?

IMG_1350.jpg

Here's a video the guy across the hangar row did of my first flight. I intended to do the flight with no one around. But the hangar bums were circling like Florida Turkey Vultures and they knew I was out of reasons to not fly. So Mike said to me "you're going to fly tomorrow aren't you"? Well, I guess I don't see a reason why I shouldn't.

"I'll bring my camera" he said. He sure did. Man hangar bums have skills don't they.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH6mwOjm6Kc

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your video with us! I think I had a grin on my face just watching you. :) Once again, more motivation for us builders who aren't flying yet!

Congratulations!

Welcome aboard the good ship "VAF".:D
Eric its stories and videos like yours that keep my fifteen year project alive.:)
Thanks buddy and fly safe!;)

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Well, looks like others beat me to it, but welcome to VAF from one more of us.

Good to have you here, hope you hang around for a while.

Nice job on the first flight! I was too nervous to have people watching during my first flight, so I didn't let the news get out. I had my chase plane and no one else.

Nice job on your plane. It looks sweet!

Great video!

Good going, Eric! Wow, I even remember your name from the Matronics days... See you Saturday.

Beautiful Six

I don't think you set a record at 17 years, but you're probably close. The end results is beautiful. Welcome to VAF, and thanks for sharing your experience. I hope to see your new six at a fly-in sometime.

nervous

Eric,

It's quite obvious from the sweat on your shirt that you were as nervous as I was when I made my first flight. I believe that my shirt was completely soaked and we made our first flights in the same month. The temperature here was not uncomfortable, but it was in the cockpit!!!! Congratulations and here's hope for you to have safe flying forever.

Welcome!

Welcome, Eric. Yeah, some of us go back a few years. Even BEFORE the Matronics list.

Glad you got 'er done and are having fun flying. Looks beautiful!

Congrats on a job well done! :)

Congratulations...... but!

First off, congratulations on a beautiful airplane and very successful first flight.

I know it makes all the wannabe's feel really inspired and says there is nothing at all that can get in the way to achieving you're dream if you persist. (I feel confident saying that cause I am a wannabe who just received preview plans).......

BUT, the thing I can't get my head around..... It took DR three minutes to respond to your original post....

A quick look at the preview plans is thoroughly daunting until you realise the support this forum has to offer. It may take a little longer but if the dream is there, anyone can achieve their own 'personal time machine' with support and a goal.

Well done sir,

Hitman

Beautiful plane! Looks like it was worth the wait :) Also congratulations on a great support team at your side.

I'm Eric Henson from the old Mattronics days. Thought I'd say hi to all those that still linger. I swore off the computer a decade or so ago, as it was taking time from all the details. Nothing personal to anyone. I owe a huge debt to Matt Draile, Bob Skinner, Jerry Springer, Terry Janzi, Werner Berry, Scott Jackson and so many others....

Don't forget Sam Buchanan!! I too consider myself an old Mattronics member.

eric,

great job done. where are you based???????? pat and i will be arriving about 9 am. keep a lookout for ower VAF hats. got a look at your video. will find you for sure. turbo
vaf.gif

Last edited:
Don't forget Sam Buchanan!! I too consider myself an old Mattronics member.

Dang, how did Sam not come to mind, I remember the days when he would not show his face on his photos. Then one day I caught his face in the reflection of some aluminum and chastised him thoroughly for flaunting his beauty on the internet. Good stuff. Got a lot of catching up to do. Thanks to all for the good words.

Awesome!

I was grinning ear to ear watching your video. Congratulations. Enjoy the next 17+ years of flying her!

Enjoyed Meeting You Yesterday

Eric,

Great looking airplane with terrific work on the details and custom parts. Hope to see you again soon. Sent you a PM with some contact info

Best to you

Awsome video. Congrats on the first flight. Mine is in the future yet. What a feeling that must be. Great inspiration. The best to you.

Back