What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun n Fun options?

Doug Lewis

Well Known Member
I'd mentioned Sun n Fun to Kris awhile back and she's been asking about making the trip. We'd be flying into Orlando and renting a car. Any suggestions on reasonable places to stay. Is it better to be there earlier in the week than over the weekend?

I personally like to stay on-site at the camp ground. It adds to the overall experience and there is often live music, corn roasts and other things to do in the campground... not to mention... the hotels raise their prices around 300% that week.

The last couple days are usually very slow and many aircraft have departed by that point. I usually go early in the week.

See you there!

SNF

Dave's right on. I'll be camping all week for the th year in a row. Stop by Homebuilt Parking and say Hi. I usually am at the east gate welcoming and parking planes so stop on by
Blue Skies,
Jerry:p

HBC is the way to go.

The first time I pulled into HBC,shut the engine down, opened the canopy, and someone put a beer in my hand. That was the start of one very enjoyable week.

The people who run HBC for SnF are great and will do anything you ask.

Come Early in the week

Early is usually a lot of fun. Good crowds and the vendors haven't gotten tired of answering all the same questions over and over.

Oh, and we'll be flying in the airshow on Wednesday..

Come and enjoy it.:rolleyes:

I've been happier at Oshkosh earlier in the week as well. Unfortunately I only have a partial tail of my RV-8 so we'd be flying down on on Delta. I'd love to camp, but doubt it'd be feasable to bring camping gear this way. It's almost funny that SHE's really excited about this.

Trust me Jerry we'll be watching for Team RV :)

Sun-n-fun

Instead of Orlando class B try Winter Haven. Great FBO..Enterprise urentem right there...pretty good fuel prices very little dust...good parking spots...then trey the Comfort Suites in Lakelend...they still have rooms at $89 a nite....it is easy to the flyin and close to all the food and shopping
TangoBravo
Flying RV7A

lots of hotels

Both Orlando and Tampa Bay are easy drives and have millions of hotels. I doubt a little event like SNF will have much impact on their occupancy rates. I'd just figure out which of the chains you like best and book a room. If you don't plan on a lot of partying at SNF you'll be fine driving. Your wife will probably appreciate a break from airplanes at the end of the day. :)

Orlando or Tampa

I have traveled on the big birds to both and stayed in both city's. We usually stay in Orlando because the ladies only go to the show a day or two. Lots of hotels in both places with good rates then. Tampa is closer by a few miles. Just what else you want to do. We like the area along International drive in Orlando for hotels.

HBC

Have been clicking around their website and am confused about fly-in camping. Hopefully you knowing folks can help.

It say they have limited aircraft camping and it costs either $25 or $35 per night depending on which page you're looking at:
?Overnight RV and aircraft camping are available only in designated areas with limited facilities for $25 per night.
?Overnight RV and aircraft camping are available only in designated areas with limited facilities for $35 per night

I also saw a note that sounds like they want you to pay from the day you arrive until the end of the show, regardless of when you leave?
?Convention registration and camping fees (per unit) will be collected in advance from the date of your arrival through the week of the convention.

And I'm not clear on what 'membership' they are talking about. Is this EAA or their own 'club' of some kind?
?Camping is for members only

And why would they want to move your plane around?
?If you arrive early and plan to leave your aircraft tied-down at SUN ?n FUN while visiting other area attractions, please leave your aircraft uncovered and do not set your brake. It may be necessary to move your aircraft.

Would really like to go but it sounds pricey and I'd hate to fly out from the left coast midweek and not be able to camp or have to pay for days I'm not there.....!?
Thanks for any clarifications.

Does your wife want to go? I have stayed at Disney, rented a condo and have slept there. All three were good options. If you are staying off the field make sure you get there early.

Back