What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6'7" 240lbs, wanting to build an RV-7

ccoady454

So yeah, being tall and a pilot don't usually work out the best. I currently fly a Cessna 172 and fit just fine in it. I'm 6'7", 235-240 lbs. My dad finished an RV-7 in 2014 and it was built for his 6'1" frame. I flew on a couple long trips with him (5 hours) and I was not very comfortable as my knees would bump the dash and the bar on my headset would touch the canopy (slide canopy). I was PIC on only a couple trips as I just got my license a few years ago. Even though I wasn't the most comfortable, I managed, as I'm used to being a bit cramped in everything I fly/drive. There was room for the seat to go back further, and I could have lowered the seat by removing the extra cousin. Since he just recently sold the plane, I can't really compare to see how much more room I could make to accommodate someone of my size. I know there's some things you can do during the build like moving the rudder pedals.

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide on what I want to build. A Rans S-21 or a Vans RV-7A. They both have 12-14 month wait on kits, but I want to get my spot in line. I have no problem fitting in a Rans S-21 as I've already sat in one, but I would rather have me a faster more fun RV-7A. My question is, does a tip up canopy RV-7 have more head room? Is there a way to make the canopy slightly taller during construction? I plan to also switch to a low profile headset. I don't mind a tight fit as long as I'm comfortable enough for 3 hour stints. I've read a few ideas on making RV's fit taller people and would like any new input you all might have.

Thanks!!

Hot switch

When we did hot refueling and pilot swaps back in the day, I would run the seat up full (normal for me) before my 6'2" buddy would jump in ... fun to watch him swear and give me the eye while he tried to find the seat adjust switch in the dark !! :mad:

He always looked a little hunched over ... but his knees cleared the lower dash.

Almost an RV14 mod will certainly give you more room aft, and since you'd be a new build you could move the seat bottom hinges aft as well.

You also have a lot of latitude with the seat block under your cushions. I would estimate that my block under the 2" cushions is about 6" tall (I'm 5'6"). That's a lot of adjustment.

Then run those rudder bars full forward, and those long legs should fit.

Seems doable. But you may be the only one to ever fly it and see over the dash!

Thanks for the info. I flew my dads RV-7A A few times and like I said, I fit, but not comfortably. A heavy turbulence jolt over central Texas in 2019 caused me to hit my head on the canopy hard enough to give me a sore neck. A low profile headset would technically give me an extra inch of headroom and I think I could get an extra 3" back on the seat, I just didn't know if lowering the seat would cause my legs to straighten out more giving me leg room issue. I really want to build a RV-7 since my dad has already built one, has the tools, set-up and knowledge to help, but the Rans S-21 has tempted me if I decided to vacation at some remote grass strips in the boonies. I think I'll have more fun staying on pavement and hauling butt. :D

Does you dad still have the 7? Build the Rans, then partner up with him ....

Half interest in a 7, and a S21 sounds like a wonderful arrangement.

Have you sat in an S-21? I'm 6'6" 240. 38" inseam and I don't fit in either plane but the RV-7 has options for taller pilots from an outside vendor. I was very impressed with the simplicity and performance of the S-21 but there was no way I could make it fit my frame. Tons of room from the dash to my legs which is usually the cramped spot, but the distance from the seat back to the rudder pedals was way too close to be comfortable. YMVV.

So yeah, being tall and a pilot don't usually work out the best. I currently fly a Cessna 172 and fit just fine in it. I'm 6'7", 235-240 lbs. My dad finished an RV-7 in 2014 and it was built for his 6'1" frame. I flew on a couple long trips with him (5 hours) and I was not very comfortable as my knees would bump the dash and the bar on my headset would touch the canopy (slide canopy). I was PIC on only a couple trips as I just got my license a few years ago. Even though I wasn't the most comfortable, I managed, as I'm used to being a bit cramped in everything I fly/drive. There was room for the seat to go back further, and I could have lowered the seat by removing the extra cousin. Since he just recently sold the plane, I can't really compare to see how much more room I could make to accommodate someone of my size. I know there's some things you can do during the build like moving the rudder pedals.

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide on what I want to build. A Rans S-21 or a Vans RV-7A. They both have 12-14 month wait on kits, but I want to get my spot in line. I have no problem fitting in a Rans S-21 as I've already sat in one, but I would rather have me a faster more fun RV-7A. My question is, does a tip up canopy RV-7 have more head room? Is there a way to make the canopy slightly taller during construction? I plan to also switch to a low profile headset. I don't mind a tight fit as long as I'm comfortable enough for 3 hour stints. I've read a few ideas on making RV's fit taller people and would like any new input you all might have.

Thanks!!

If no one has ever told you....You will fit in an RV-8! Just saying!

An RV-8 would be ideal but you could make a -7 work. Add the “Almost a 14” mod, add another seat back hinge further aft, move the pedals as far as possible and build the panel a bit shorter. I am 6’4” and I could easily find an extra 3-4 inches. Don’t do a center console and move the engine controls up into the dash in a removable sub panel so nothing hangs low.

Piece of cake!

If no one has ever told you....You will fit in an RV-8! Just saying!

I called about an RV-8 that is partially complete and the person selling it told me if I'm taller than 6'2" or more than 185lbs that I won't fit...and to me that seemed odd because I have seen people much taller than 6'0" flying RV-8's.

Of course you need to find a RV7 and sit in, better fly it. Good luck...

I've flown an RV-7. I helped my dad build one, but he tailored it to fit himself obviously. I technically fit in it, I just wasn't as comfortable as I would like. I think the "almost 14" mod, and relocating the rudder pedals is just the ticket for me.

Does you dad still have the 7? Build the Rans, then partner up with him ....

Half interest in a 7, and a S21 sounds like a wonderful arrangement.

My dad sold his RV-7A last summer to get a Comanche 250 to haul around more people. His plan was to sell his RV-7A and our Cessna 172K to get the Comanche and deck it out. The Comanche would be half mine even though I only had ownership in the 172, but that's a dad for ya. Unfortunately, he bellied the Comanche in on his 3rd flight after purchasing it. He decided to deck out the Cessna 172 avionics instead, so we have a nice 4 seater to haul family around, but we miss the speed of the RV-7A.

Have you sat in an S-21? I'm 6'6" 240. 38" inseam and I don't fit in either plane but the RV-7 has options for taller pilots from an outside vendor. I was very impressed with the simplicity and performance of the S-21 but there was no way I could make it fit my frame. Tons of room from the dash to my legs which is usually the cramped spot, but the distance from the seat back to the rudder pedals was way too close to be comfortable. YMVV.

I sat in one a couple years ago, but only briefly. My memory may have tricked me, or being surrounded by glass was just an illusion, but I felt like there was plenty of room. I probably didn't mess with the rudder pedals at the time because I wasn't in the market for a plane at the time, I was just checking out the avionice.

You know you struggle to fit into the 7. Why don't you just build a 14? It will be way more comfortable for you. Unless you want to do aerobatics or budget is limited.

You know you struggle to fit into the 7. Why don't you just build a 14? It will be way more comfortable for you. Unless you want to do aerobatics or budget is limited.

What this person said. The 14 is easier to build and they have a much higher resale value. Still aerobatic. I'm a big (but not tall) guy and I went back and forth trying to decide between an 8 or 14 because a 7 with a passenger wouldn't be comfortable. On a 172 or Cherokee you can adjust the pilot and copilot seats so that shoulders don't touch...can't do that with a 7 or 14.

If I were smart, I would have decided on the 14 for its ease of construction and resale value. I'm adventurous though, and chose the 8 for it's fighter like feel and fun factor.

There are no wrong RV's, but if I were in your shoes I would try to sit in an 8 or 14 before buying your 7 tail kit.

Tall canopy for the -7

I'm 6'2" so I understand your predicament.

A few folks mentioned the -8. I've found that with the seat full up and forward I can fit a fist between my head and the canopy on the -8.

For the 6 and 7 a number of years ago, Van's sold a large number of RV-6A kits to the Nigerian Air Force. All of those kits had taller canopies than stock to accommodate the helmets that the crew were required to wear.

No idea if they are still available to builders - or if they ever were, but it would be worth shooting Van's an email just for kicks.

Others have mentioned it already I'm sure, but the -14 is premium when it comes to accommodating tall folks.

Enjoy the build!

6' 4 and 205 lbs

I tried most of the RV7's through 9 with the Almost 14 etc. Just could not get comfortable on the 3 to 4 hour flights. Maybe a 10 would be ok not sure. Finally built a 14A and it's perfect. 4 to 5 hour cross countries no problem. It's my time machine !!!

Get an 8

I'm 6'2" and 285 lbs. Get an 8 you will be fine. You can even get the tall boy package where you can move the seat back a little more.

Have you ruled out the -14? It has the room you need for a premium that isn't much over the -7 when completed.

_Alex

Have you ruled out the -14? It has the room you need for a premium that isn't much over the -7 when completed.

_Alex

I looked at the 14, and would love it I'm sure, but my dad and I already have experience building the 7A, and I want to stick with the O-360. From what I've read from owners or pilots who have flown both, they RV-7's are more nimble, faster and burn less fuel and cost less to build. If I had about $30k bigger budget, I'd build a 14 to outperform my 7A vision. The 14 would definitely be more comfortable and haul more baggage, but the price and cost of ownership make it slightly out of reach.

My dad really likes the RV-10, but I want the aerobatic capabilities. For hauling family, and teaching, my dad loves his slow but rock solid & stable Cessna 172.

If I had about $30k bigger budget, I'd build a 14 to outperform my 7A vision. The 14 would definitely be more comfortable and haul more baggage, but the price and cost of ownership make it slightly out of reach.

The cost of a plane, car, tool, or anything is the difference between what you pay for it and what you can sell it for. Cost to operate needs to be considered and the 14 will cost more per hour to fly but the resale value of the 14 is very high. People are willing to pay for comfort.

You know the 7 so If I were you I would find someone with the Antisplat mod and sit in it - then decide.

Chad,

I honestly think you would be nuts to build an RV-7, and that's coming from an RV-7 builder/driver.
Let's do some simple math. You say you want to use the aircraft for aerobatics. The RV-7 has an aerobatic useful load of 486lbs. After you (240lb), a 15lb parachute and 18 gal (108lbs) of fuel, you've left with 123lbs for passenger and parachute. I'm assuming most of your buddies don't weight in at this level.

The RV-14 on the other hand has a 660lb aerobatic useful load. Assuming you carry 10% more fuel, this leaves you with 286lbs for passenger and parachute.

On the $ side of things, I think you are totally over thinking the cost delta. The difference between engine prices is about $5k (IO-360M1B v's IO-390) The running cost LOP will be a negligible difference per year (maybe $140/year assuming a 10% increase in fuel flow and 50hrs per year) and the build cost difference is also negligible, keeping in mind that the build time of a standard RV-14 is about as fast as the quick build RV-7. You will easily spend a couple of years longer building a 7 than a 14 and are you factoring this into your equation. You say your father wants you build a 7 because that's what he's built before, but who's plane will it be in the end?
Ultimately I see the 14 being $5k more expensive for the same build speed, but you will more than make up for this on the resale side. You need to factor in what that 1000hrs in build time saving is really worth, not just in your time, but also shop space, lost weekends etc. The only thing I would maybe look at is getting a 8.5:1 compression ration IO-390 so you can run mogas.
If I learnt anything during my build, that is don't build something you don't want. Do it right the first time. If you build a -7, you'll regret it every time you hop into it with any reasonably sized individual, especially given that you know you can't legally go and do aerobatics, and if you do, the thoughts that the wings may go flap-flap will be burning like acid in the back of your mind. I'm 170lbs and the 7 fits me fine, but I know if I was 240lb what I'd be choosing if there really was only a $5k cost difference. You build a 7 with all the big boy mods and selling it will not be as easy as a normal 7, as this cuts into the baggage space and there will be the thought in the mind of potential buyers that the aircraft possibly operated in an overloaded condition due to the higher than designed passenger weights.
My 02c.
Good luck.
Tom.

Chad,

I honestly think you would be nuts to build an RV-7, and that's coming from an RV-7 builder/driver.
Let's do some simple math. You say you want to use the aircraft for aerobatics. The RV-7 has an aerobatic useful load of 486lbs. After you (240lb), a 15lb parachute and 18 gal (108lbs) of fuel, you've left with 123lbs for passenger and parachute. I'm assuming most of your buddies don't weight in at this level.

The RV-14 on the other hand has a 660lb aerobatic useful load. Assuming you carry 10% more fuel, this leaves you with 286lbs for passenger and parachute.

On the $ side of things, I think you are totally over thinking the cost delta. The difference between engine prices is about $5k (IO-360M1B v's IO-390) The running cost LOP will be a negligible difference per year (maybe $140/year assuming a 10% increase in fuel flow and 50hrs per year) and the build cost difference is also negligible, keeping in mind that the build time of a standard RV-14 is about as fast as the quick build RV-7. You will easily spend a couple of years longer building a 7 than a 14 and are you factoring this into your equation. You say your father wants you build a 7 because that's what he's built before, but who's plane will it be in the end?
Ultimately I see the 14 being $5k more expensive for the same build speed, but you will more than make up for this on the resale side. You need to factor in what that 1000hrs in build time saving is really worth, not just in your time, but also shop space, lost weekends etc. The only thing I would maybe look at is getting a 8.5:1 compression ration IO-390 so you can run mogas.
If I learnt anything during my build, that is don't build something you don't want. Do it right the first time. If you build a -7, you'll regret it every time you hop into it with any reasonably sized individual, especially given that you know you can't legally go and do aerobatics, and if you do, the thoughts that the wings may go flap-flap will be burning like acid in the back of your mind. I'm 170lbs and the 7 fits me fine, but I know if I was 240lb what I'd be choosing if there really was only a $5k cost difference. You build a 7 with all the big boy mods and selling it will not be as easy as a normal 7, as this cuts into the baggage space and there will be the thought in the mind of potential buyers that the aircraft possibly operated in an overloaded condition due to the higher than designed passenger weights.
My 02c.
Good luck.
Tom.

The 14 is sweet, as is the RV-10, but I pulled the trigger on a deal I couldn't pass up. My dad and I ended up buying an RV-8 kit to finish as a father son project. I found a partially complete kit (1,000+ hours in the build log) that was available now and got it for a good price. I sat in the canopy and I fit with just a couple minor fixable issues on comfort. The bottom of the instrument panel was close to my knees, but there's room to trim off another 3/4. The lower vent will also be relocated as it was a bit in the way of my right leg. I feel like I fit better in this than I did in my Dad's RV-7A, so I'm very happy with it. I'm extremely happy that I don't have a 14 month wait for a kit. We might have this plane flying by the end of the year :D

I'll be on this site quite a bit looking at all the great ideas. :)

You say you want to use the aircraft for aerobatics.

I should have clarified that I do not want to do aerobatics as a hobby or as my primary flying enjoyment, and definitely not in competitions or shows. I simply want to learn do chandelles, aileron rolls and maybe loops. I don't plan to push the envelope too much, though hitting 3 or more G's is more "danger" than the average person is willing to attempt.

Back