What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small hole near first inspection panel right wing

Bart

Well Known Member
I'm not sure I can identify what the small hole near the first inspection panel on the right wing does. My guess is maybe the OAT sensor but the plans aren't calling for it. Any traffic please advise.....

Hole

Just a wild guess wing tie down bolt hole if you are just looking at a skin? And not having my plane in front of me.

The OAT is in the left wing . . . :rolleyes:
I'm curious. Where, on the plans, did you see that the OAT goes in the left wing?

I agree with you that's where it "should" go, but I did spend a LOT of time trying to find ANY mention of the OAT in the plans and I didn't find any, so I can understand why someone would be confused. There's no mention of it in the WH-00125 main wiring harness, the WH00011 wing wiring harnesses of either wing, or anywhere on the build drawings. A search of the entire folder of .pdf plans finds nothing referring to the OAT.

If I missed it I'd love to know where so I can do a better search next time!

I did finally confirm with SteinAir that the left wing near the wing root is the "normal" location, but based on the plans I can see why anyone would be confused.

The OAT sensor isn't part of the basic kit, it's part of the ADAHRS/EFIS. My AFS (Dynon) install had installation instructions and the sensor was also shown on the wiring harness drawings (but wasn't labeled OAT). It just plugs into the ADAHRS module in the left wing and the left wing bottom skin had the 3/8" hole pre-drilled, see dwg 20-04

The drawings don't show a right wing bottom skin implying that they're just mirror images, so maybe there's a hole in the right wing skin as well.

Last edited:
I had been wondering what the small hole was on the bottom my left wing and it certainly appears to be where the GAP59 OAT sensor could be mounted. I'm surprised the build instructions don't mention it. It's supplied with a 10' length of cable which I assume is long enough to reach the GSU-25 if mounted behind the panel. I'm not there yet, so interested to know if anyone can confirm this.

I'm curious. Where, on the plans, did you see that the OAT goes in the left wing?

I agree with you that's where it "should" go, but I did spend a LOT of time trying to find ANY mention of the OAT in the plans and I didn't find any, so I can understand why someone would be confused. There's no mention of it in the WH-00125 main wiring harness, the WH00011 wing wiring harnesses of either wing, or anywhere on the build drawings. A search of the entire folder of .pdf plans finds nothing referring to the OAT.

If I missed it I'd love to know where so I can do a better search next time!

I did finally confirm with SteinAir that the left wing near the wing root is the "normal" location, but based on the plans I can see why anyone would be confused.

I don?t have my plans here, but Jake answered. It plugs into the left wing wiring, as I recall. Feeds temp. data to the G3X and G5. :cool:

I guess that solves the problem of the OAT. So no idea on the right wing? Its not tie down...I'm talking first inspection panel from root outward. Should've been clearer on the that. Thanks.

Going by memory and I don't have one, but weren't there some sking that had identification holes so you know which was which. Might have been on the 10, cannot remember.

I don?t have my plans here, but Jake answered. It plugs into the left wing wiring, as I recall. Feeds temp. data to the G3X and G5. :cool:
Thanks!

The problem is for anyone with a Garmin setup that's looking through the plans to find where the OAT goes (like I was) it's nowhere to be found, at least in the pdf plans provided by Van's. 62_14, Page 2 shows the following drawing for Garmin's magnetometer, and there's no section for the Dynon magnetometer.

After your post I did go back and look at the WH-00125 wiring harness diagram, and it does shows a pair of wires going off from the Dynon magnetometer to an unidentified device which I now know is the OAT.

When I emailed Josh at SteinAir about the OAT he confirmed that it did go in the location below, and that it doesn't plug into the left wing wiring. It comes with the wires attached that need to be run back to the panel. In other words, there's no connector at the wing root provided or intended. You can, of course, add your own connector if you feel that it's needed.

Perhaps this thread will help someone in the future looking for the OAT mounting location. It should be marked on the plans and identified on WH-00125 as well IMO. It would have certainly have saved me some time! :)

Here's what's shown in Section 62 for the Garmin magnetometer:

clvgTnzaGpd0dzw3bvat4UB_eksfPzmqYWOJ7YYIPyRjHkDufLf3j11iqmCaI9ZJaRQy_vKELoVCttMqZXIOH7YFir-kV4NSaWuwSQu14wURHkwskK8rWOSwaFdCFmwtZqHA3Z9hbEaPJ897-CQNGcaMW20VVNP_oAsT5iayPtm7jV9gZQnDWS57HZi17JdwK-O3UYlK2Hhw9pIMKytPDjR5s7c64YAijhqlSbXPgnjKfHtdCJvEkDxg-TSAFA9V7890YZDv8x3xIKjW-gL7oCbApR1BIRYjuwu7ovmFz4NG4-KZMAjP0gZoI9vTLKOVSceRkmltvGQwUCx_dhBsMNNzXh8zMuTj55ouLaDu8RNRwtd8U9BxdkdP88Z8SyP3FAVokqj1hicIMmQb43Kf6NHxI6DYEDHLWi7LZ-KI62Snd1blJd1V5x-tYYxSyM7FtqStktpyHNWXk6HSrXSaH37IcO-9HtVV331o731QlIaf5gPx73NoRddVkqNdCq7xR3-OQ1huP64QILn5GGvpV-ESgZPmitIgHVnuGMIWMjdMfkJmlRoTxp-wqfXEwp0qorjH_HRKbl3u6-YxTsT4g0iqNt-HRMriSamUHM9GMqDatr1xvyywNIwTk0ln7cytrXGj7ssXBWgKoxClpLlO9jXAoOkzCjNWkTBIOCk5KrqF1Iplsk_SPyMgnEjhKolxQtIGzWyNwvw3nqNCFYLHC3UpGtQ-iPqd9UhcHB7bG5Aai4Wyo_xjgwA=w800-h599-no

Best regards,

I remember now that I did put a connector at the wing root for the OAT wiring. It made it easier to install it while the wings were still in the cradle, rather than fishing the wire through the wings and fuselage after the wings were mounted.

I remember now that I did put a connector at the wing root for the OAT wiring. It made it easier to install it while the wings were still in the cradle, rather than fishing the wire through the wings and fuselage after the wings were mounted.

What kind of connector did you use? The shield is hefty on the Garmin probe and I wasn?t sure if the shield needed a pin to match the gauge of the wire. (Something to do with lightning strike protection I think)

just to go back to the OP's original question, I checked my right wing after flying today and there's no hole near the inboard inspection panel. Since the wing bottom skins seem to be mirror images, maybe you got a left wing bottom skin (which has the OAT mounting hole) by mistake (or maybe you switched them yourself :) The hole is 3/8" dia

What kind of connector did you use? The shield is hefty on the Garmin probe and I wasn?t sure if the shield needed a pin to match the gauge of the wire. (Something to do with lightning strike protection I think)

I originally put a micro molex, reluctantly, because I hate them. When I lost OAT after about 50 hours, I replaced the micro molex with d-subs for each wire, then heat shrink to hold them together. After ~70 more hours, still working. :)

just to go back to the OP's original question, I checked my right wing after flying today and there's no hole near the inboard inspection panel. Since the wing bottom skins seem to be mirror images, maybe you got a left wing bottom skin (which has the OAT mounting hole) by mistake (or maybe you switched them yourself :) The hole is 3/8" dia

Jake - I'm an idiot. Its the left wing. Its the OAT hole. Man, I'm losing it. In the 90% - 90% phase and everything is a blur. Thanks for playing.

I originally put a micro molex, reluctantly, because I hate them. When I lost OAT after about 50 hours, I replaced the micro molex with d-subs for each wire, then heat shrink to hold them together. After ~70 more hours, still working. :)
Good to know. Thanks.

Question.... given the Garmin OAT's relatively close location to the wing root and the access panel right beside it, would it make sense to NOT put a connector on that conductor and instead if you need to remove the wing just unscrew the OAT and feed it back through the wing root?

Thanks!

Good to know. Thanks.

Question.... given the Garmin OAT's relatively close location to the wing root and the access panel right beside it, would it make sense to NOT put a connector on that conductor and instead if you need to remove the wing just unscrew the OAT and feed it back through the wing root?

Thanks!

The path of the wiring through the wing root is quite tortuous. Not sure it would be possible to properly route it with the wing attached. Certainly limited access through the space between the fuselage and the wing root. Of course, you might just run the wires through the lightening holes . . . :eek:

Last edited:
Jake - I'm an idiot. Its the left wing. Its the OAT hole. Man, I'm losing it. In the 90% - 90% phase and everything is a blur. Thanks for playing.

Well, looks like most everyone is having OAT fun anyway....let this one slip away and none is the wiser...?Bart who??
R

The path of the wiring through the wing root is quite tortuous. Not sure it would be possible the properly route it with the wing attached. Certainly limited access through the space between the fuselage and the wing root. Of course, you might just run the wires through the lightening holes . . . :eek:

Makes sense. Thanks!

Back