What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DYNON No GPS Position Source

Zazoos

Well Known Member
Turned on the DYNON HDX for the first time today. Everything seems good except for the "No GPS Position Source."

I opened up the two dsub connectors to verify wiring is correct and the pins are seated and no broken wires. Everything looked great.
IMG_0765.jpg

Here is what Port 5 is showing with everything looking like it is correctly wired. RX Counter is increasing fairly fast.
IMG_07731.jpg

I swapped the grey/violet and grey/orange wires and plugged it back in. Here is what Port 5 is showing. Group errors is increase slowly.
IMG_07701.jpg

Thank you,

Just a guess, but is your antenna the 2020 instead of the 250? Not sure if it makes a difference since I only have the 250, but in case you have the 2020, and there's a selection for it, changing the selection might make a difference

One other thought: Is you plane sitting in a metal hanger or workshop? If so, it may not be able to receive the satellites and so can't find a GPS Position Source. You may need to roll the plane out of the shop/hanger so it can see the satellites.

The GPS is the 2020 model. Not sure about the selection thing you mentioned.

I did roll the plane out in the blazing Texas heat for several minutes, but no change.

Keep the great ideas coming!

Thank you,

Under ?Serial In Device? you have the ?SV-GPS-250? as the selected device but you said its a 2020 antenna.

Should change that selection to match the antenna you have.

There was a problem with some of the early -2020 antenna's, mine worked beautifully for around 20 hours then died and I had to swap it out. No problems since, with the replacement. If changing your setting to -GPS-2020 doesn't work, a call to Dynon with the serial number might show you've been caught too.

As Aggie78 posted, first make sure you have selected the correct GPS for your installation. You state you have the SV-2020 but your posted photos shows you have it set up for an SV-250.

I did roll the plane out in the blazing Texas heat for several minutes, but no change.
How many minutes are "several"? It can take 5-10 minutes to acquire the satellites on initial power up. It needs to download the initial "almanac" data before it knows which satellites it can receive.

From page 8-12 of the SkyView System Installation Guide - Revision AD:

"To verify that the SV-GPS-250/2020 can receive GPS signals acceptably, move the plane to an open area with a relatively unobstructed view of the sky. Moving the plane just out of a hangar, or between two hangars, where a significant portion of the sky is obscured from the view of the GPS may result in poor performance of the SV-GPS-250/2020.

Go to GPS FIX STATUS to verify that the SV-GPS-250 or SV-GPS-2020 is receiving GPS signals: SETUP MENU > LOCAL DISPLAY SETUP > GPS FIX STATUS"

:cool:

Last edited:
Under “Serial In Device” you have the “SV-GPS-250” as the selected device but you said its a 2020 antenna.

Should change that selection to match the antenna you have.

This is the answer. Had exactly the same indications when I fired up my panel. Once I configured Serial 5 correctly, all was well.

You should also make sure you have updated to the latest software. See the Dynon SB due GPS rollover issue.

Last edited:
Changing the serial port setting from the SV-GPS-250 to SV-GPS-2020 will fix the problem. They use different data streams so set the way it is the RX counter will be increasing and look normal but the system can't read the data stream.

FYI, the GPS 2020 is not affected by the rollover issue, only the GPS 250

Back