What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView v15.1 from Dynon adds Yaw Damper, VP-X on HDX, and more

Dynon

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Dynon is excited to announce SkyView version 15.1, which adds Yaw Damper capability, VP-X support on HDX, improved Rotax 912iS fault/troubleshooting information, and dozens more improvements and fixes. Major 15.1 features include:

-Support for the new SV-ADSB-472 Dual Band Traffic and Weather Receiver
-Yaw Damper on SkyView HDX, Touch, and Classic
-VP-X support for SkyView HDX
-New Rotax 912 iS FAULTS menu to aid troubleshooting and diagnostics.
-Many more improvements to existing features, such as scrollable checklists, improved QWERTY keyboard on touchscreens, toggleable airport flag, and more. See the SkyView software update page for a complete list of all features and improvements.

VPX-HDX-Mockup_400w.png

VP-X on HDX

SV-ADSB-472Dual-07.png

SV-ADSB-472​

How about support for a heads up AOA display?

New product suggestion....

Something like this:

AOA%20Display.jpg

The current AOA display on the Skyview is small and out of a pilot's peripheral vision such as is needed on approach/landing phases of flight. I end up never looking at it.

This looks a lot like what we flew with in the T-38, which was very useful and easy to see!

The data to feed this is there; seems Dynon could put something like this out there pretty quick!

How about it Dynon?

Thanks!

Rob

New product suggestion....

Something like this:

AOA%20Display.jpg

The current AOA display on the Skyview is small and out of a pilot's peripheral vision such as is needed on approach/landing phases of flight. I end up never looking at it.

This looks a lot like what we flew with in the T-38, which was very useful and easy to see!

The data to feed this is there; seems Dynon could put something like this out there pretty quick!

How about it Dynon?

Thanks!

Rob

YES!! Tried and try, and an instrument so very many of us already have put to great use.

Dynon, I completely second Rob's motion.

Ditto on the AOA HUD

I too am all in for a dash mount AOA display!!!

Also, what's required (guessing a servo & rudder cable linkages) for the yaw damper?

Woody.

YES!! Tried and try, and an instrument so very many of us already have put to great use.

Dynon, I completely second Rob's motion.

Last edited:
I guess I just don't see the value in the dash-mounted AOA, perhaps because I've never used one. When I'm in the flare and feeling for the runway, the last thing in the world I want to do is shift my viewpoint from outside to an instrument, even one mounted on the glareshield. We all use headsets today, and the Skyview product will give you the AOA aural cue in the headset right now with no new product needed. When I chop the power in the flare, I'm focused on the runway and airplane attitude, and hold it off while listening to the AOA chirp, no vision shift needed.

As many people as there are that have said it is such a great thing on the glareshield, I have to wonder what I'm missing - I just can't see it being better than the aural alert in the headset. For aerobatics or maneuvering at low speed I guess I can see it, but not in the flare over the runway.

I'd still like one...

I never get an AOA aural cue until I'm in the flare. If someone has a better way of adjusting the thing, I'm all ears, but I never get the pipper to sound until I'm deep into the landing and just a few knots above touchdown.

It'd be great having a visual idea how the wing is doing in the final turn or in acro without looking inside to do it.

I have the tone set to come on at 50%, full steady at 70%.

How do others set it up to make what we have more useful while we wait for the Dynon wizards to push another nifty "got to have" product out the door?

Rob

ps-once you fly behind one...you want one. Hard to describe how your performance SA improves. I like the aural tone, but want a HUD too...Belt and Suspenders? :D

I never get an AOA aural cue until I'm in the flare. If someone has a better way of adjusting the thing, I'm all ears, but I never get the pipper to sound until I'm deep into the landing and just a few knots above touchdown.

It'd be great having a visual idea how the wing is doing in the final turn or in acro without looking inside to do it.

How do others set it up to make what we have more useful while we wait for the Dynon wizards to push another nifty "got to have" product out the door?

Rob

ps-once you fly behind one...you want one. Hard to describe how your performance SA improves. I like the aural tone, but want a HUD too...Belt and Suspenders? :D

When you do your stall AOA calibration, you are teaching the AOA what the full-blown stall looks like on the sensor. If you want it to start talking a few knots faster, you can do what I did - do about 3 or 4 stalls and note very carefully the exact airspeed you stall at under current conditions, and then you calibrate the AOA unit using that stall speed plus about 4 knots - you never fully enter an actual stall during that calibration. The result is that the AOA will start chirping in your ear at stall + about 10 knots, and is in full-blown panic screaming mode at the actual stall point.

Dynon is excited to announce SkyView version 15.1, which adds Yaw Damper capability, VP-X support on HDX, improved Rotax 912iS fault/troubleshooting information, and dozens more improvements and fixes. Major 15.1 features include:

-VP-X support for SkyView HDX

VPX-HDX-Mockup_400w.png

VP-X on HDX

As I was the one who posted here about the lack of VP-X support in the HDX, I'm very happy to see this added quickly. I rolled my own support for the VP-X in a Raspberry Pi, but I'll drop that in favor of control through the HDX - I'm sure it is much more elegant than my solution, it certainly looks better than mine.

This mentions the software upgrade to include yaw capabilities, but what hardware is offered?
Is there a unique servo?
Are there any examples flying at the moment? Mounting details?
I'm not seeing any details on the Dynon website.

I feel like I missed a previous announcement.

Yaw damper

On the Dynon forums they say more documentation will be coming out, most likely after Sun n' Fun. So stay tuned I guess, I'm interested in this also.

When you do your stall AOA calibration, you are teaching the AOA what the full-blown stall looks like on the sensor. If you want it to start talking a few knots faster, you can do what I did - do about 3 or 4 stalls and note very carefully the exact airspeed you stall at under current conditions, and then you calibrate the AOA unit using that stall speed plus about 4 knots - you never fully enter an actual stall during that calibration. The result is that the AOA will start chirping in your ear at stall + about 10 knots, and is in full-blown panic screaming mode at the actual stall point.

Greg,

I don't know that I want to "fool" the AOA system by programming it differently and with a false "stall point" when what I'm looking for is a way of getting the data it already has presented so that it's more useful. While your way is "safe", it would run counter to the way every angle of attack system I've flown behind operates; which is, stall at 1.0.

So, trying to puzzle this out, here's a screenshot of the flight data to an approach I made yesterday into Eastland, Tx:

Screenshot%202017-03-31%2011.05.37.png

At the top of the graph is AOA vs IAS in knots, at the bottom is GPS altitude.

I fly the final turn at 75 KIAS and slow to 70 KIAS (plus wind) on final...it was pretty windy and bumpy yesterday, so there's some variance AND this is just a snapshot of the interval from ~150' on down.

It looks like to me, flying final at ~70-75 KIAS, that's about 20-30 degrees of AOA. On the visual AOA display, the green ring (green donut) would give you your "On Speed" cue...but what would be an On Speed cue aurally? How many beeps per second?

With the AOA settings I've already got, I'm understanding now why I never hear it till I'm deep in the flare-it won't start chirping at me until 50%, and by what the graph is telling me, that's not happening until 6 inches above the runway. Obviously, I need to lower that number if I want to know what the wing is doing farther back in the pattern, but to what, and what "chirp rate" gives me an On Speed cue? Programming for a HUD for "on speed" would be easier...just set it that the green donut lights up when flying at the correct ref.

Said another way...what percent AOA (per the graph) is the best "On Speed" AOA for my wing on approach? 25%? 30%?

Is there a formula for this? Does Van's have this data on their airfoils?

Also, maybe some of our fighter community guys can help here that have/had both tone and visual AOA indications...What did you guys use?

Sid, what kind of beep rate did the Rhino have on approach or in the final turn? In the T-38, we didn't have tone...just the indexer and a panel gauge.

There is some thread drift going on here, off of Dynon's announcement, so my apologies for that.

We can move this discussion to another thread, if appropriate, because I would love to hear some thoughts on how to make my AOA system more useful than what I have now...and FYI Dynon, I still would like a HUD-type of AOA display, not something buried in the PFD! Just askin'!!!

Rob

The Yaw damper uses our standard, existing servos. We will have kits for the RV-10 and RV-14 right away.

Greg,

It looks like to me, flying final at ~70-75 KIAS, that's about 20-30 degrees of AOA. On the visual AOA display, the green ring (green donut) would give you your "On Speed" cue...but what would be an On Speed cue aurally? How many beeps per second?

I've experimented with AirGuy's technique off and on, basically shooting for a configuration where the first onset of sound is "on speed". That doesn't alert me to being too fast but would alert me to getting too slow as it beeps faster. So far I've been unsuccessful in configuring it that way though.

So..is rudder trim tab required for the yaw damper? or will the servo connect to rudder some how?.

The Yaw damper uses our standard, existing servos. We will have kits for the RV-10 and RV-14 right away.

Can you share some details on how this connects and works with the rudder? Do we need to plan a trim tab install in the rudder? Any chance on offering kits for an RV-7?

Installed 15.1 today

After installing v15.1 today in a SkyView Classic, rebooting, and doing a quick check the one 'bug' that I wanted fixed was fixed. The ENGINE/VP-X screen has been misaligned for a couple of updates. It's now properly aligned - THANKS!!

It was possible to BACK to ENGINE and re-enter the VP-X screen to get proper alignment, but it never aligned on the first entry. It looks good now.

Didn't get a chance to review any other areas today, but many of the updates don't seem to apply directly to SV Classic displays.

The last item I'm waiting to see resolved is still waiting - patiently - to be resolved. It would be really nice to have the WiFi Connect feature for ForeFlight display the ADS-B (TIS and FIS). The ADAHRS/GPS info is great but it would be the icing on the cake with ADS-B shared. :)

The yaw damper actuates the rudder directly via the rudder cables, just like the servos do for roll and pitch. No rudder trim needed.

We'll continue to keep an eye on the market for where yaw dampers are wanted. The longer wing 10/14 seem to be the planes that benefit from it the most so we started there, but of course we're open to other kits if the market is interested. You can always fab one up yourself too.

The yaw damper actuates the rudder directly via the rudder cables, just like the servos do for roll and pitch. No rudder trim needed.

We'll continue to keep an eye on the market for where yaw dampers are wanted. The longer wing 10/14 seem to be the planes that benefit from it the most so we started there, but of course we're open to other kits if the market is interested. You can always fab one up yourself too.

Would those servos also allow the pilot to use your system as a rudder trim too, independent of AP "full control?"

P.S. Congrats on the implemented improvements!

Would those servos also allow the pilot to use your system as a rudder trim too, independent of AP "full control?"

Sorry, no. When the system is off, the rudder moves freely, so it can't provide any virtual trim force.

Me too

Rob

^^^^^
THIS

Man I'd love one for my RV-8. The tail wiggles all over the place in turbulence.

Yaw damper

Rob Hickman asked me if I would be willing to beta test this kit a while back when I was enquiring about his setup. He's been running one for a couple years now. I installed this Dynon yaw damper kit in my already flying RV-10 and it fit perfectly without any tinkering or modification of the bracket. The bracket was very well made and anodized. All installation hardware was included and it was well thought out as you would expect from AFS and Dynon engineers. Total time for installation was about 3 hours and it was well worth it. I installed an extra power wire in the tail when I built the plane expecting this upgrade eventually so that cut down the install time significantly. The rest of the wiring was just split off from the neighboring pitch servo.

A couple weeks ago my wife and I flew the airplane from Cold Lake, AB to Las Vegas through Montana, Idaho and Utah. We experienced steady light chop to moderate bumps from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas and the airplane rode it through like a champ. This was a 2+ hour leg and it was getting tiring. I tested with the yaw damper turned off for about 5 minutes and the difference was quite dramatic. My wife asked me if I noticed that the turbulence seemed to have gotten worse since the airplane was wagging it's tail, then I told her what I had done and turned the YD back on. She noticed immediately and appreciated what that little servo did.

I've been testing the yaw damper now for a couple months and it makes a great airplane even better. It's not that you can't fly without one, but once it's there you don't want to fly without it, at least my wife doesn't. It's very quick to react and makes the ride much more tolerable when it gets bumpy.

Colin

Yaw damper

This would be a very welcome addition to my planned AFS suite. Will this be a Dynon-only enhancement or will Rob be rolling out similar functionality on the AFS side?

Last edited:
Another vote for the yaw damper

Dynon,

Put me down as interested in a yaw damper for an 8.
I wouldn't mind making my own bracket, or modifying one.

Any idea where we can see a picture of an install (regardless of plane type)?

AFS has the capability built-in

Bill Boyd,
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I am running dual AFS 5600s and it has the yaw damper. See my earlier post regarding the beta testing of the installation kit. Rob has been running a yaw damper on his RV-10 for a couple years with the AFS advanced decks.

Colin

Great.

One more servo I have to buy and install before I close out the fuselage top forward skin this Christmas.

You guys are collectively costing me many AMU's.

My plane is going to be awesome :D

Back