What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing SV-GPS-2020 In Place Of SV-GPS-250

todehnal

Well Known Member
I bought the new 2020 antenna for my RV-12 with a SVT and ADS-B out. I have had the original GPS-250 installed and running for over a year now, and it works very well with the ADS-B out box from Dynon. I thought that it would be a simple hardware swap, but after reading all of the documentation, it looks like I need to do some software updates, but I am not sure exactly what I need to do. I am running the latest Dynon software:
( Skyview_15_0_2_US_non_HDX-Nov10.duc ).

So, if anyone has already been there, is the new 2020 GPS antenna really plug and play, or do I have my work cut out for me?

Thanks for the help.............Tom

Last edited:
If you were farther behind in software than you would need to update, but given you're already on v15, then you're good to go.

Steps:
1) Replace the 250 with the 2020, hooking up the same colored wires.
2) Go into the setup menu and tell the system you have a SV-GPS-2020 on SERIAL 5 instead of a SV-GPS-250.
3) Check your transponder version. Go into the TRANSPONDER SETUP page, and if it has a yellow bar that says you're not up to date, then press UPDATE. This will only be needed if you haven't updated your transponder in over a year.

That's it. If you forget step #2 you'll have a big red X on the MAP until you fix it. If you forget step #3 then you won't pass the FAA ADS-B compliance check, but your transponder will still work fine and your ADS-B OUT will still work as if you hadn't updated to the 2020.

Change out

Wondering which vendor whould be the best at supporting installation should help be needed, Van's or Dynon...both sell the unit and Van's has had the best wiring looms for my plane, software another issue??

Back