What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall Pilots in RV-9

slykins

I'm New Here
I am 6'6" tall, 225 lbs. I am interested in hearing from taller pilots and how well you fit in the RV-9. Has anybody done any mods to the seat back to get more room.

Tall Pilot

Two things that might help, very thin back and seat cushions, also you would need to move the rudder pedals as for foward as possible. There isn't much you can do with the seat. Headroom might be a problem for you. I have hit the top of the canopy afew times in rough air in both the Six and Nine I built and I am only 5' 10". RV-9, N92GC

Tall Pilots

I'm 6'6 230 and fit fine in the 7A. You can't wear the think headbanded headsets but everthing else is ok. Sit on thinner seats and put the rudder pedals as far forward as you can and it'll work. I do cross country legs and it's no worse/no better than any other plane I've flown.

Doug

slykins said:
I am 6'6" tall, 225 lbs. I am interested in hearing from taller pilots and how well you fit in the RV-9. Has anybody done any mods to the seat back to get more room.

I just had a guy in my plane that's 6'6" and about 240. He couldn't use the rudder because it was too close but other than that we both fit just fine. He had the seat in the rear location and had the Van's seat cushions installed. He had more than enough headroom.

A lot depends on how that tall frame is put together. I'm 6'5" and 275. If I would have been blessed with legs proportionate to my height I would be a retired NBA player instead of an avionics geek. I fit in the -7's and 9's ok and my -8A fits like a glove with the tall pilot option. Thinner cushions are the answer in all cases. Luke from Classic Aero made me a set of seats that are perfect. Your results may vary.

I'm 6'5 and 230 pounds.. I was just in the RV9. Without a Problem.. I am mainly legs too.. I didn't have ANY problems reaching anything, I also didn't bash my knees into the dash like I did on the 8. I would imagine a person who is 1 inch taller then me will have absolutly no problem.. I didn't really have to duck my head when sliding the canopy closed either.

It's all in the inseam

Height can be deceptive, it's the inseam that needs considering. I'm 6'2" tall, 230 pounds, and wear a 34" inseam. I fit fine in my 9A slider with "full" cushions. The seat backs are as far back as the standard hindge placement allows and the rudder pedals are as far forward. I did not construct the throttle quadrant as wide as the plans call for and I do "cushion" the manual elevator trim bracket because I tend to lay my right thigh on it.
HOWEVER, I have a good friend who is also 6' 2" tall, around my weight, who has a 7A Tip-UP who has to sit on a super thin pad to obtain HEAD CLEARANCE. The difference? He has a 30" inseam. Be careful, check you head clearance with desired cushions! You may want to maximize canopy height which is easy to do AS you are cutting the plexiglass.

Tall Skinny Pilot

I stand 6' 5" and weigh 200 pounds with a 34" inseam. I placed an extra row of hinges behind the ones Van's recommends, moved the rudder petals fully forward with maximum-length rudder links (fully defelected petals just clear the firewall. I also rerouted the fuel line from the pump to the gascolator. Moving the seatback aft gave more legroom but decreased headroom, so the pilot's seat-bottom was constructed thinner and modified for more length by DJ at Cleaveland. Also wear headsets with a thinner pad. Legs are comfortable on long flights and have an inch of clearance to the slider canopy.

Is it women who are not suppose to talk about their weight.

Ahem.. All the talk about tall guys weighing less then I do is making me self conscious. Wait.. i forget. Does Fat Flex?

Okay.. I have a 36 inch inseam.. (all legs) This would mean I should sit lower in the aircraft while needing more leg room. I don't feel like a Yeti in a Cessna 150.

Back