What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Check-In For Osh 2012

The Family and I are planning for the tent at HBC.

Looks like there will be a fair number of RV-10'ers in HBC this year. This will be the first time camping in HBC for me. I've been in Scholler for the last few years. Unfortunately, without my RV-10 (it's not quite ready to fly yet). But I am flying in a RV-7. That is certainly a step up from driving.

bob

N62DN will be at AirVenture

I'll be flying in two other enthusiasts to OSH, plan to arrive on Sunday the 22 late afternoon and depart Friday am. We'll be camping in HBC behind the wing.

I see that the Vans BBQ picnic is already sold out (it's gotten to be so BIG and crowded) but could we coordinate an RV-10 pot luck some other night at the tables near the shower trailer/ice vendor in HBC? I'd love to meet up with the other -10 builders/flyers and we can all tour/show our planes before/after eating...

BTW, my paint is pretty unique, if you want to find me:

n62dn_sm.jpg

Doug.

I'll be flying in two other enthusiasts to OSH, plan to arrive on Sunday the 22 late afternoon and depart Friday am. We'll be camping in HBC behind the wing.

I see that the Vans BBQ picnic is already sold out (it's gotten to be so BIG and crowded) but could we coordinate an RV-10 pot luck some other night at the tables near the shower trailer/ice vendor in HBC? I'd love to meet up with the other -10 builders/flyers and we can all tour/show our planes before/after eating...

BTW, my paint is pretty unique, if you want to find me:

n62dn_sm.jpg

Doug.

I am in for the Pot Luck! have plans to go to the First Wing Banquett but any other night will work. I am planning on HBC also.

Rumor has it that there may be the traditional potluck dinner at the rv-10 hq on Monday night. Official notice may not go out until a few days before.

Pic-n-Save better get ready

Nothing like a great steak, baked potato, veggies, salad, beer/wine and cake/pie. We are planning some easy to fix meals at the tent, but would be nice if someone had a grille and we could all eat together occasionally while there. If everyone does there fair share, especially with clean up I think we could have a great time. I'll do dishes or anything else to help.

We(4) spent a week up there last week for the Air Academy and our average lunch was $50 and dinner was $70 incl a beer and tip. I did not eat at any restaurant that really stood out, but we cook 95% of our meals at home and they are hard to beat.

How about a BBQ at HBC on Weds?

Monday night is the concert, Tuesday is the sold-out Vans BBQ... I realize that the -10 "HQ" is a logical candidate for location for a common dinner, but would really like to see something at the Home Built Camping area where we can share our planes instead of the >3 wheel RVs. Since I'll be camping in HBC, I'd be glad to help coordinate an event. Perhaps the Monday night HQ dinner could be moved to Weds at HBC???

Need a head-count and discussion.

Doug.

We are not going to Van's dinner. Been at one at snf 2009.
For those of us not going to the dinner, even Tue pm will work. We'll be in Sat am so will get together and plan something for every evening. Looks like a good number of -10 drivers/builders/dreamers coming. Nine days but who's counting.

monday is my vote

We are planning to go to the first wing dinner Tue so Monday would work. Might be going home Wed afternoon.

Both?

I'd love to join in an HBC event, but think Monday night had plans (Warbird event?), and I'm going to Vans dinner too. Understand people leaving Wed. Maybe both nights, and some can attend either?

I'd help wherever possible, but would only be able to contribute what could be purchased locally and dumped (full plane already).

Dwight

I'd love to participate

I would love to participate, but won't be arriving until Thursday. Hope some of the 10's will still be around when I get there.... and have to camp at the North 40 since I will be flying in a C-182.

Ed, don't know what anybody else is doing but we're arriving on the Sunday. looking forward to a Sierra Nevada or two!

What about trying to get something going Sunday night?

I would recommend swinging by the RV-10 HQ to see about a Sunday gathering. In past years there have been either a potluck or a meeting at a local establishment. The folks that will be hanging out there are pretty good about pulling together an ad hoc event and getting the word out.

I would recommend swinging by the RV-10 HQ to see about a Sunday gathering. In past years there have been either a potluck or a meeting at a local establishment. The folks that will be hanging out there are pretty good about pulling together an ad hoc event and getting the word out.

I'm camping at the 10HQ in Scholler. I'll have to bring the grilling apron!

I'm camping at the 10HQ in Scholler. I'll have to bring the grilling apron!

Ed,

You know that Brenda and Susan are really what makes RV-10 a success. Bob and Gary are just the front men that do all the work. :D

This is the first year in 5-6 years I'm not camping in RV-10 hq, but for the few nights I'm going to be there, it didn't make sense to pay for the early stake out. Also, as many of you have already experienced, the money the project turns into that last month is killing me.

Bob

Sounds like Sunday night might be a good choice... A potentially key cog in all this will be on site at OSH Wednesday (next week) sometime and I have it on good authority that he's bringing at least 20 pounds of brisket again in anticipation of a group cookout. We'll have a location and I'm sure plenty of people to pitch in. Just need somebody to take on the task of coordinating it - I'm just not up for it. There doesn't have to be anything done onsite until the day of the event - the coordination can be all virtual. I can assist with transportation to get supplies, just not willing to take on the coordination this year.

Bob (Condrey)

We can get a list going for each evening's meal

starting Sat 7/21. We can keep the list posted in HBC and/or Scholller. We can stop by to see what is needed, who else is coming, time/location. Anyone can call me or another -10 guy/gal to see if we are near the list to save some time walking. Since many of us will have to go to Pic-n-Save, sign up as early as possible. My cell: (six, zero, six) 316-9020.

Sounds like Sunday night might be a good choice...

There doesn't have to be anything done onsite until the day of the event - the coordination can be all virtual. I can assist with transportation to get supplies, just not willing to take on the coordination this year.

Bob (Condrey)

OK. I'll bite. I'll coordinate the PotLuck.

Tentatively Sunday the 22nd @ the RV10 HQ in Camp Scholler. (Logistically, I think this will work better than HBC for having grills, picnic tables, generators, ect for a large group.)
7:30PM? Earlier? Later?

You can also go to www.perfectpotluck.com and search for last name Kranz with a password of osh12

The site will let me email updates out to all contributors, so make sure the email address you enter is a good one. Add a phone number if you'd like, but it's not required.

Let me know if I should add categories or make more room in existing categories on the signup list.

We can also keep a paper signup sheet at the 10HQ for the non-internet types.

Also, if anyone has any strong feelings about the time or date, say something, and we'll try to go with the consensus.
Who's in?

Last edited:
Nice website for this kind of thing!

Just from this thread alone, it looks like approximately 15 RV-10's and 40 people. I would imagine we will have close to 100 people to plan for. If anyone needs me to pick up something for them at PnS, just call. We will try to hitch a ride but can walk it or ride the bus. If someone gets a chance to pick up stick-on name tags, that would be a big help. Looking forward to good food and conversation.

OK, I'm not sure what potluck is all about and have run out of time to research! We're a couple of fellas from Australia, first time at Oshkosh but would love to catch up with as many 10'ers as possible!

Where is RV10 HQ in Camp Sholler? I'm aware of Camp Sholler itself as we are in an RV (the camping type) for the week.

OK, I'm not sure what potluck is all about and have run out of time to research! We're a couple of fellas from Australia, first time at Oshkosh but would love to catch up with as many 10'ers as possible!

Where is RV10 HQ in Camp Sholler? I'm aware of Camp Sholler itself as we are in an RV (the camping type) for the week.

Potluck is a meal in which everyone brings food to share with others. Hopefully everyone brings enough different items that you have a well rounded meal and not fifty types of dessert. These have been going on for many years thanks to the efforts of the Condrey's and Specketer's. You can also chip in some cash if you don't have some transportation to get to the grocery store. Follow Ed's link to sign up for what you can bring.

Some photos from previous years are at:

http://myrv10.com/osh/HQ_Fun_01.html
http://www.deemsrv10.com/album/OSHKOSH 2007/RV-10 HQ/index.htm
http://www.deemsrv10.com/album/OSHKOSH 2008/RV10 HQ Mug Shots/index.html

My experience is this is the best way to meet all the other RV-10 builders that you have been talking with over the Internet.

The exact location wont be known until Tuesday. Usually in the area around 54th/55th. Gary usually has some signs that he posts that can be seen from the main drag

Bob

Last edited:
The exact location wont be known until Tuesday. Usually in the area around 54th/55th. Gary usually has some signs that he posts that can be seen from the main drag

Bob

The location will be posted here some time Tuesday, and I'll also email it out to everyone who is signed up for the Pot Luck.

The weather is looking fantastic at this time

for next Saturday's 430 nm trip from SE Ohio to OSH. Let's hope it stays that way and is just as good for the rest of you.

Camping at OSH

This year I will be flying my -10 to OSH. Two of us will arrive there early Thursday morning of the show and stay in a tent by the airplane for at least one possibly two nights. The length of our stay will depend a bit on the weather. Looking forward to seeing many old RV-10 friends and making some new ones.

I will be flying my RV-10 to Oshkosh again. I will arrive Sunday 7-22 thru 7-27.
I will not be camping at the RV-10 headquarters but will be hanging out there each day. Look forward to seeing everyone again this year.

Ok gang, we've got the sites all staked out with a couple of us on site already. RV-10 HQ location is in Camp Scholler just south of Lindbergh along 54th. This is about a few minute walk from the Theater in the Woods gate and tram stop. You can see RV-10 HQ signs from either 53rd or 54th and Lindbergh.

We've again got a "group" site with some tables and shade for those that want to swing by. Just about any time of day there will be RV-10 builders/flyers around but the larger groups seem to usually appear between about 6:00 and 9:00 in the evenings. This is also the location for Ed's Pot Luck dinner Sunday night.

Bob

We're set on the time, date, and place for the RV10 HQ Pot Luck dinner.

When:
Sunday, July 22nd
7:30 PM

Between 53rd and 54th street a few sites south of Lindbergh (there will be signs for "RV10 Builders" visible from Lindbergh)

How to get there:
If you're unfamiliar with the area, easiest way to get here from the main AirVenture grounds is through the Theater in the Woods gate (also a tram stop). Walk west (right) on Shaick Ave, turn south (left) on Binder Lane, turn west (right again) on Lindbergh and go to 54th. Look south and you'll see the RV-10 Builders sign about 5-6 sites south.

PLEASE sign up at http://www.perfectpotluck.com/meals.php?t=AKIL0864 or send me an email letting me know how many people you are bringing, and what you are bringing (food or cash)

See you Sunday
Ed Kranz
651-248-five six se7en five

Great time and glad to be home with A/C.

It was nice meeting many of you. Enjoyed all of the educational forums. We left late Thur morning and deviated around some TS in S. Indiana/Ohio. We had continuous light-mod turbulence. Next time we'll be staying somewhere with A/C and a big bed at night. I can now say..."We have been there, got a mug and a t-shirt".

It was nice meeting many of you. Enjoyed all of the educational forums. We left late Thur morning and deviated around some TS in S. Indiana/Ohio. We had continuous light-mod turbulence. Next time we'll be staying somewhere with A/C and a big bed at night. I can now say..."We have been there, got a mug and a t-shirt".

I've camped the lasts 5-6 years with the RV-10 gang. I really didn't mind sleeping in a tent. Most nights I had to get in the sleeping bag. I guess I was just lucky that I ended up in a air conditioned room this year. I don't think temps like this year happen very often. Predicting them is a skill most of us don't have.

Glad to finally meet you in person and along with your family. I'll give you a holler when I get ready to fly.

Bob

I too had a great time. Many thanks to Ed for organizing, it could not have been any better. The food and company was great. Also, a big thanks to Bob and his 4 wheeler taxi service.
It was nice to put a face with those whose posts I have read over the past couple of years. I look forward to doing it gain next year, hopefully with our plane completed and on the field.
Bill

Back