What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9a: Cal’s build

cgeyman

Well Known Member
Hi all. I am building a QB rv-9a at our eaa 517 hanger here in Missoula MT. I finished most of the tail (still have left elevator trim tab), and am working on the fuselage. The Philippines QB trip did result in some surface corrosion which I must remediate, but Van’s has been helpful on this. I am planning an o-360 carbureted lycoming with a fixed composite prop, and will respect Vno/Vne/Va speeds as I hate the idea of pilot induced trouble. Anyway, hope to post how it goes.:)

Please click on the Flickr link below to view photos of my build.

Last edited:
https://flic.kr/p/2kH5TYv

You can scroll left or right to see photos of the corrosion coming back from the Philippines. But again it can be remediate and Vans is correcting the situation.

Last edited:
Agreed nothing to worry about. Good luck on the build that’s a pretty place in Montana you are living in.

Thanks Steve and Vlad. In the beginning you tend to catastrophize every little imperfection. :)
Thanks for the support and welcome!

Looks nice! How has the build process been thus far? I am currently exploring the idea of building an RV-9a. I do not have any aircraft building experience, but I am decent at wood working. I would love to hear your thoughts on the process so far.

Hi Mags
I only wired a glass panel and changed the oil and spark plugs on my other plane (which is also an rv-9a that I bought). I flew 200 hrs in a rv-12 that I owned and loved, but it was not really a long distance cruiser, nor a mountain plane ( I flew out of Denver). I am really glad I bought both the quick build wings and fuselage as I expect to finish in 16 months or so, total time. The process is fun , and the plans complete. I sometimes make mistakes, and have to redo something, but nothing is really hard. I hope u take the plunge. U can always just buy the tail kit and see if u like it. :):)

Thanks

Thanks Brian. I agree. I actually put an extra rivet in as my solution as you can see. The beauty of high definition iPhone photos. Thanks for the attention and feedback!

Check fit...

You might find that the upper left corner of the G3X interferes with the glare shield structure.

Consider extending the lower edge of the panel by an inch or so, and rivet on a piece of AA3-3/4x3/4x.063 in place of the bent bottom edge. Then lower everything to avoid the glare shield aft tube.

Both attachments show the extended panel, and both clear that tube under the glare shield, but I had the G3X's lowered an additional 3/8" for the second itteration...It's only money, and time...

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks again Brian for the advice. The g3x does fit, but I did have to grind a small part of the upper angle edge support to allow the g3x backer plate to fit. I wanted the room below for switches and labels. I actually have a flying rv-9a that I can walk over to, for comparison during my build, which is nice. Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

Cal I see you are just to the north of me. If you use those plastic vents just know that you will undoubtedly have to make some kind of winter cover for them, they leak a lot of air. The aluminum ones (I purchased these from Stein) and they pretty much perfectly seal the air from coming in. Just a heads up.

Hey Jereme

Thanks buddy for the tip. I did get the aluminum ones. Sounds like it is worth it!

Thanks buddy for the tip. I did get the aluminum ones. Sounds like it is worth it!

You will love em, they are very effective! On the same topic, with where we live I HIGHLY recommend you install a boot on the aileron push tubes where they pass through the fuselage too. I think someone makes them, if you search VAF you will see what I'm talking about. I didn't install them and my left leg freezes on them cold days! On my next condition inspection I'm going to install some of these bad boys.

Anyways, keep up the good work and it will be flying before you know it! :)

Aileron boots

Thanks again Jereme. Just ordered from flight line interiors. Didn’t know about the boots. They look great and now come with Velcro attachments. Cool. Should reduce my need for cabin heat and risk of CO leaking in.

Back