What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 SS Frank-Texas

PropMan

Well Known Member
I've begun work on RV4 sn3738
Plans were purchased somrtime back in 1993, then I built and flew a -6.
This one wil be a Single seater tho. I've always liked the Harmon Rocket 1 and 3 so here I am.

Rudder and Vertical stab are done and the search for a wing kit is in process. If one doesn't turn up on the used market in the next few weeks i'll put in an order from Vans.

On the idea list :
Build light and have fun!
Shorten wings to HR2 span -15" overall(this will increase wing loading a bit)
HR3 fuel tanks 47 gallons
Hr3 or F1 firewall and short cowl to accommodate an O360
Move seat back 4-6 inches for CG purposes
Fastback
F1 style sliding canopy
Titanium gear for weight savings

The jorney will be fun, Hope it only takes me a few years for this one.

Interesting project!

Stop in at my place when you have time - I can help with this one. Things are kinda frantic just now - January would be best. I don?t see any reason that this won?t work out fairly easily.

Stop in at my place when you have time - I can help with this one. Things are kinda frantic just now - January would be best. I don?t see any reason that this won?t work out fairly easily.

Will do Mark, I'll give you a call after the first and plan on flying down for a visit. Thanks

Frank, the F4 Raider is a TWO seat machine. Maybe a quick trip through our website is in order.

Vince, Sorry. I ment what i want is a single seat. The F4 is Awesome and i think is a great alternative to the -4, but my mission is a single seat, light as possible(850lbs ew), built on a -4 airframe using what others have done (Mods i like) to build my mission specific plane.

Rudder and Vertical Stab done except for paint. Wing kit on order from Vans, 6-12 month wait. guess once i finish the Empennage i'll have time to make a couple props for it (-:

RV-4

Sounds like an interesting project. Both Vince and Mark are true professionals and have a wealth of knowledge. I happen to have a -4, my favorite of all RV models and I built a panther a couple of years ago. It?s a great performer with the 0-320 in it. I would say it?s close to what you?re building.

Flying Tiger concept

Take a look at Bruce Bohannons Flying Tiger from a few years back. I always loved the look and thought about a similar build some day, but I'd have to keep my -4 for the backseat capability also.

Four is more....

I've begun work on RV4 sn3738
Plans were purchased some time back in 1993, then I built and flew a -6.
This one will be a Single seat tho. I've always liked the Harmon Rocket 1 and 3 so here I am.

The journey will be fun, Hope it only takes me a few years for this one.

Hey Frank,
Many moons ago while flying my HR2 a guy let me fly his HR1. (1 of 3 flying). In a word, Wow, here is what I was looking for 30 years ago when I built my Four!
Whoa horsy, the modded kit, lack of numbers (insurance) and build difficulty shut that door. However comma, when the Panther Kit came available, I finally saw what I had envisioned long ago...a better Three.

Good luck, having cobbled the RV6X together from four projects and two sets of plans, I feel your pain! Look forward to progress pics...
Merry Christmas!
V/R
Smokey

This what you're thinking of...?

Last edited:
Hey Frank,
Many moons ago while flying my HR2 a guy let me fly his HR1. (1 of 3 flying). In a word, Wow, here is what I was looking for 30 years ago when I built my Four!
Whoa horsy, the modded kit, lack of numbers (insurance) and build difficulty shut that door. However comma, when the Panther Kit came available, I finally saw what I had envisioned long ago...a better Three.

Good luck, having cobbled the RV6X together from four projects and two sets of plans, I feel your pain! Look forward to progress pics...
Merry Christmas!
V/R
Smokey

This what you're thinking of...?

Smokey,

Close to that but the seat will be a bit further forward than you example. More like this drawing

Just purchased a complete airframe (4 Kits), this will definately motivate things! Gong to sell off what I dont need and get busy on the wings.

Spars near done

Spars are ready to disassemble for debur, etch, alodine and prime. Then I'll get the 2lb hammer going:cool:

I used Vans big pneumatic squeezer twice but I heard it finally wore out and it’s no longer available?

The right tool

I can’t recall what those big ol’ heavy things are called, but I have one that holds a door open here. Yours if you want it - built several sets of spars using a big mallet and this machine.

Heading down to “Under the Wire” this morning. Always a good time there.

Me too

I picked up a -4 airframe as salvage and abandoned project parts. Going nose gear with a flat firewall. Without the foot recess, the pilot seat will be very cramped. I was thinking rear seat pilot or just solo. I will watch your progress.

Single Seat Rocket

A local guy raced this at Reno...

Attachments

• A8916D62-49CD-4788-B3B2-9DC1A127831F.jpeg
    A8916D62-49CD-4788-B3B2-9DC1A127831F.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 520
I can’t recall what those big ol’ heavy things are called, but I have one that holds a door open here. Yours if you want it - built several sets of spars using a big mallet and this machine.

Heading down to “Under the Wire” this morning. Always a good time there.

Thanks for the offer Mark, I've got one, that's what i used to build my 6 spars. Worked well and didnt take long. I need to come down and visit tho, wanta pick your brain about changes ;-)

Similar Prop?

Frank,

Slight thread drift. My -6A project came with this propeller. Owner was commuting from an elevation of 6657’ and thought this prop would be good. “Bought from a nice fella in Tucson.” was all he remembered. Can’t find reference in aircraft log. How well will it perform on a -6A with PV IO-360? I want to stay with an FP propeller.

Back to RV4SS. Please keep updating, very interesting.

Attachments

• 751005DA-8750-42F6-89BC-8F955A428C13.jpeg
    751005DA-8750-42F6-89BC-8F955A428C13.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 441
  • FFC2DBA4-E3EE-425B-9088-419F2B84289B.jpeg
    FFC2DBA4-E3EE-425B-9088-419F2B84289B.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 468
  • 49C96762-6A1A-42AA-828F-7B6974A6640D.jpeg
    49C96762-6A1A-42AA-828F-7B6974A6640D.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 448
Frank,

Slight thread drift. My -6A project came with this propeller. Owner was commuting from an elevation of 6657’ and thought this prop would be good. “Bought from a nice fella in Tucson.” was all he remembered. Can’t find reference in aircraft log. How well will it perform on a -6A with PV IO-360? I want to stay with an FP propeller.

Back to RV4SS. Please keep updating, very interesting.

Tim, give me a call and i can look up the details on that prop, then i can give you recommendations.
713-417-2519

Spars continued

One Main spar ready to rivet, rear spars almost ready to disassemble for etch, alodine and prime

Swinging a 2 Pound Hammer

Settint the -6 rivets for the main spar caveman style (-:

[ed. I remember spending a summer working on my RV-6 spars the same way. That was a long summer <grin>. Many congrats on getting through the hard part!!!! v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aches and pains :)

Thanks DR
I was telling a friend the other day "I don't remember all these aches and pains when I built spars the last time" For my -6
Of corse that was in 1997 or there abouts, LOL

Main Spars complete!!! rear spars ready to disassembly for acid, alodine and primer, center section F404 will be ready for the same tomorrow. :D

Back