What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Earl and Hal's RV-14

Earl Findlay

I ordered an RV-14 kit in Oshkosh, and I while nervously await the arrival, I began asking myself just how the heck I was going to build this thing, given my fairly limited experience building anything. I am a retired engineer, so bookwork wise, I get it, but putting it into practice, I doubted myself.

By a stroke of luck, I was introduced to a retired corporate jet director of maintenance who just purchased a home in my community. Well, Hal has always wanted to build an airplane, but couldn't outlay the money. Me? I can outlay the money but I am not sure I can build it. Haha. So we have formed a strategic partnership, in exchange for 25% equity in the kit, Hal will guide me through the build, using his 40+ years of airplane maintenance experience.

Our first kit should be shipping any day now, and we hope to have the airplane flying by Sept 1 2021. We each can devote at least 40 hours per week into this, so if we can stay on track and I don't louse up the project too badly, with a bit of luck in two years, I'll be posting our first flight info!

Stay tuned to follow along a hopeless builders adventure towards having something that flies within about two years! Oh, and wish us luck.

Congratulations!

As a guy who came from the world of certificated aircraft maintenance I will suggest that Hal may need some re-education. In the certified world you are maintaining an existing aircraft, the design of which is cast in stone, documented in maintenance manuals and parts catalogs.

It's a MAJOR paradigm shift to move to BUILDING an airplane rather than maintaining one that's already built. It's also a major shift to have to figure out how to build the airplane, how to configure it, how to provision it for all the little bits and pieces that will have to be installed.

You no doubt have chosen the right airplane for this pairing, given the high degree of preparedness that exists in the RV14 kit. Still, you will have to convince Hal to accept that a homebuilt airplane is not a corporate jet. Failure to do so will likely yield an over-built, over-weight airplane. Don't hesitate to reach out to those in your area who have RV experience as they are a valuable resource.

Best of luck in your build - it's at first a formidable task, one that ultimately yields supremely rewarding results.

40 hours a week of build time?! I'm so jealous! I'll be happy when I squeeze out 8.

You're going to have a blast. The 14 goes together seamlessly. A monkey in a diaper (meaning me) can put one together.

Hal and I have been hard at work on our RV-14. We ordered the fuselage kit some time back, and as of today, according to our build log we have 243 man hours into the build.

Everything is going smoothly, I am learning a ton, and based on our current pace, if we can get the kits, engine, avionics, and interior when needed, I think we have a good shot at getting the kit done in about 14 months, start to finish. This will put us nearly a year ahead of schedule. Keep in mind we are doing between 60 and 80 man hours per week. This may slow a bit, but we are scooting right along.

Starting this project, I was extremely apprehensive. It was all for nothing. If you?re debating doing a build, JUST DO IT.

It CAN be done in 14 months, that was the build time on my -7. If you can swing it a quick build panel will really speed things up. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Best of luck!

As of this evening, we have 525 man hours into our project. I continue to learn a bunch working alongside Hal. I am in need of a short break, so I am going to take all of next week off, away from the airplane, and just clear my head.

Building an airplane, and learning as I go, causes a tremendous amount of fatigue at times, and even inner stress. Messing things up causes me to doubt myself. I realize that I have an awful lot of ?I can?t? in my head. As soon as I see something that confuses me, my mind goes to ?I can?t do this.? I step away and clear my head, and find that with care and help, I CAN do this.

I never knew how much I would learn about myself by building this airplane. I figure we?re only about 1/4 of the way done, so the learning is really only beginning.

Just like dieting, there will come a point in the build where you plateau and it seems like no matter how much you do, nothing is happening. That point in my build came after all the major components were done and it was time to do the wiring and fiberglass work.

Just like dieting, there will come a point in the build where you plateau and it seems like no matter how much you do, nothing is happening. That point in my build came after all the major components were done and it was time to do the wiring and fiberglass work.

Absolutely correct.

The impact of seeing a completed component like a rudder, wing, etc is very motivating to say the least.

Now, if I could just get over the diet plateau.......

Three months in ..

Tail - DONE
QB Fuselage & Wings - DONE
Finish Kit - Waiting for delivery
Engine - Ordered. Delivery 7/2020
Avionics - Ordered. Delivery 5/2020

We stand a good chance of flying before the year is up. I CANNOT WAIT to fly the RV-14. I have a RV-9 I am flying now, and if the RV-14 is as fun, I am going to be in love!!!

We have about 850 hours into the kit. Looks very promising that we will he flying by the years end. This has been a blast.

Engine should arrive in about 4 months (grr). Panel arriving in early May. As of now, it looks like the engine is going to be the holdup. With two people working basically full time on this, a -14 kit goes together fast.

For anyone thinking about ordering a kit .. just do it. I only wish that I did it sooner now.

1200 man hours done and the avionics have arrived. Working on the wiring necessary for the panel. We opted for a Dynon HDX panel with a GTN 650.

Stepped on a flap and really messed it up. Likely to require a rebuild.

Engine to arrive in about three weeks. IO-390.

Hal has pulled back his involvement to more of a mentor than a builder due to some personal issues that he?s dealing with.

The engine and panel has been mounted. The build is in the hanger at the airport.

Hal doesn’t do too much with me anymore. We had a bit of a falling out and he told me that he felt we were best to not work on this together anymore. It saddened me but I think that’s what can happen when two people work together so many hours per week. He does still check up on me from time to time, but when he disconnected himself from the project I had to buy my own tools but fortunately I had gained quite a bit of knowledge so I’m doing ok through the build.

I still have a flap that needs to be rebuilt. It got stepped on and damaged the flap significantly. A few members of chapter 1441 are suggesting that I build the airplane without flaps to save weight and complexity, but I think I do want flaps on the airplane.

Onward and upward.

Sounds like ure making good progress, well done!
A couple of pictures of your -14 project would sure color those reports?

As for building without flaps, don’t do it! The -14 has good flaps which benefit the aircraft‘s performance. Better fix the damaged one, or rebuild one, and stick to the plans and design.

Don't make changes. They add a huge amount of unplanned work and time. Keep it as stock as you possibly can.

In particular, the suggestion to eliminate the flaps is a bad idea. Almost everyone gets to buy replacement parts since we all seem to be human. Press on.

Dave

Well folks, it is time to admit defeat. The RV-14 kit has defeated me. My build is officially over and I am selling the kit. Without Hal's assistance, it was not going to be possible to finish the build and safely have the aircraft flying. I was left without a choice but to sell the kit at approximately 85% completion.

This journey has taught me so much. It has improved my mechanical abilities. It has taught me about perseverance. And it has taught me that I need to be honest with myself. And that honesty has caused me to realize, I am not a builder or mechanic and I never will be. I just don't have it in me.

I am extremely sad, but I know that this is the right choice. The kit will be going to a local builder who I know will see it through to completion. I hope for a ride in it once it's flying.

In the meantime, I am seeking out another aircraft to buy. Maybe a Comanche or a 60's or 70's vintage Bonanza. My budget certainly won't get me the 2020 RV-14 that I was oh so close to having. It's a sad day in the Findlay house, but I am confident that I've made the right choice.

Best of luck to everyone on their build. If I see you out at the airport, I'll give you a wave and a nod. I admire your ability to see your project through completion. I admire your abilities, ability that I found out that I just don't have.

Forever grateful,

Earl Findlay

hey Earl, this is really sad!

Pity you can't find a buddy or associate in helping you with that build. The -14 is an absolute top notch RV product and, like you mention, will hopefully take to the skies in a near future.
Thinking about it now, you could have fitted an even bigger/heavier battery... on the seat where the passenger is supposed to sit.

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of reactions from the members to your farewell post...
Assuming you're leaving us for good, I for one will miss the entertainment you provided on different subjects, thanks!

Take care Earl Findlay...

Adieu

Ah well, as the actor said, "a man's gotta know his limitations", and then the singer sang,
"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run"

I think it's wise and couragious of you to bow out gracefully, Earl.

Thanks for helping to make VAF entertaining, and best wishes to you for your future endeavours!

Back