What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 #24871

Joewebb

Hey All
About 2.5 years ago I bought an unfinished (about the same stage as a Quick Build )project RV-6 from New Jersey USA and shipped it Down Under.
With family,work and everything else that gets in the way I have been working away at a moderate pace.
I have done all the SB's and replace the 6 Vertical Stab/Rudder with an 8.
Lots of little mods here and there make building a little slower.
I'd like to share this one in particular,so i made a little video.
I made my slider canopy open fully using RV8 tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEV_s6QEqkE

Cheers
Joe
RV-6 Superior XP-IO320 Catto 3 blade.

Nice Video

Nice Video, very nice workmanship too.

"and replace the 6 Vertical Stab/Rudder with an 8."
I replaced my VS and rudder with the -8 as well....you will be happy!
Did you remember to trim the bottom fiberglass cap for proper clearance to the tail spring?

I have to add this:
Joe is an excellent carbon fiber craftsman and can make and sell you a beautiful,inexpensive plenum for your RV6-7-8-9 ..... we bought one from him and installed it on a friends
RV9A and it's perfect. Another friend is contemplating one for his 8 later this year.
Great job on the canopy Joe.
Regards, Mike

Great art on your website

Joe,
Nice job on the plenum, especially the finishing touch of the artwork.
Checked out your website too. Great work! Beautiful graphics on the bikes and nose art/pinups to rival Vargas.
How about a skeleton in Betty Grable's famous pose on the nose of Sentimental Journey? Call it "Bare Bones" ?

Awesome

Thanks Mike..
I just learnt how to use windows movie maker so I thought I'd make a few videos of some stuff I've been doing....

My gear leg stiffeners.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpv0nXjLAw
My Plenum .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfPhFCPccE&t=8s
My Electric rudder trim.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmzt_4EILUI

enjoy
Joe

Joe,
I really enjoyed the videos.
I am impressed with the detail on workmanship and the video makes it look easy but I know it is not!
I tried the stiffeners with wood and fiberglass and was not happy, now working on a 5/8" glass rod attached to the rear of the leg. Work in progress for sure.
I admire your rudder trim as I installed aileron trim in my existing right aileron per the plans but after it was built not while building. FYI my rudder has no trim and the VS was installed centered and flys straight with no tab.
The James cowl/plenum I did would not fit at all so I just used the front 25% and made a new lid that fit my baffels, as well as extended the front tubes for my extented cowl setup. I was not happy with sliding the sides of the plenum vertically into place as it prohibited any sealing method so I installed an angle flange and did the layup over top of it and install the screws vertically. Thanks for sharing your work! The artwork is a nice touch.

Your website is outstanding........you are a true artist!

Last edited:
Nice Video

Joe,
Nice video.
Workmanship is above us mere mortals....
I think I have accomplished something using Vans and ACS parts and maybe a little mod or fabrication. But you just make a whole new part and make it look and work better than a factory part. Kuddos to you.
I have never seen those cable pass throughs before, very small and clean.
Thanks for sharing.

Joe,
Nice video.
Workmanship is above us mere mortals....
I think I have accomplished something using Vans and ACS parts and maybe a little mod or fabrication. But you just make a whole new part and make it look and work better than a factory part. Kuddos to you.
I have never seen those cable pass throughs before, very small and clean.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate....the stainless steel cable glands are generally use for electrical cables into electrical boxes.They come in all sizes...even fire and explosion rated ones are available.
I used a Stainless steel 3/4 inch one for my electrical through the firewall..stuck a bit of fire sleeve in first...run the cables through and tighten the nut..they close tightly onto the cable.
Relatively cheap on ebay

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has a talent for something. You clearly have a talent for tail art. That is exceptional! Beautiful!

Last edited:
Fantastic

Above and beyond.... great work!!!!!
Do you make parts for sale?
I'll take one panel and a plenum please.

Kevin R

OMG for reals? That is a piece of magic. Happy to see that this is your day job, too ... very nicely done, and educational too!

Do/did you have any issues when clearing with your cowl mounted on the top and bottom when separating? Won't the clear coat bassically glue the two halves together where they meet/touch? How do you deal with this issue and will there be a line of uneven clear coat where the separate from?

Thanks.

That is a fabulous job!

Did you happen to do a before/after weight comparison? I didn't on my -6 but wish I had... it's also base/clear, but only 2 coats of clear.

One problem I had with painting my -6 was transferring the scheme from an A3 (letter)-sized AutoCad drawing to the full-scale airplane. I solved that by projecting the scheme onto the airplane with an LCD projector, which worked really well. I just applied tape along the projected lines. From that I made paper patterns, which I could use in the booth as well as on both sides to get symmetry.

Do/did you have any issues when clearing with your cowl mounted on the top and bottom when separating? Won't the clear coat bassically glue the two halves together where they meet/touch? How do you deal with this issue and will there be a line of uneven clear coat where the separate from?

Thanks.

No mate..If you stop the video at 8min 28sec you can see there is a gap between cowls and the airframe too....A 1 mm gap all round
Having the cowls butting will ensure chafing and chipping of paint when you take them on and off.
The clear isn't put on thick enough to span a 1mm gap...maybe if you overloaded the clear in this area causing sags it probably would.
Cheers
Joe

That is a fabulous job!

Did you happen to do a before/after weight comparison? I didn't on my -6 but wish I had... it's also base/clear, but only 2 coats of clear.

One problem I had with painting my -6 was transferring the scheme from an A3 (letter)-sized AutoCad drawing to the full-scale airplane. I solved that by projecting the scheme onto the airplane with an LCD projector, which worked really well. I just applied tape along the projected lines. From that I made paper patterns, which I could use in the booth as well as on both sides to get symmetry.

No..but I have done a comparison of 2K solid with 2K graphics compared to basecoat and basecoat graphics with clear and 2K is heavier.
I have also compared the effects of before and after flow coating..(sanding clear and spraying 2 more coats) it added 1.8% on my rudder and about 1.1% to my vert stabs total weight...
I'm going for the best looking plane...not the lightest :)
cheers
Joe

Fantastic work Joe! And another very good vid, thanks!
Really lookin forward to your picts or vids once your jewel will be assembled :cool:

Back