What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A rebirthing

wiring

Just getting into this. It has taken me a bit of time to wrap my head around the integration of some of these components.

53194158895_8069565758_b.jpg
[/url]panel wire by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

53193768044_91318b12d2_b.jpg
[/url]sticks by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have to find a suitable place for the B&C regulator. Any Ideas?

...I have to find a suitable place for the B&C regulator. Any Ideas?...

I was really running out of room so I ended up putting mine upside down on the fwd face of the sub panel on the r/h side. The reason it's upside down is so that the adjustment screw points down, allowing me to reach it by going straight up with a screwdriver from under the panel.

I left plenty of service loop so once I'm up and running, and verify that I don't need to tweak the voltage adjustment I might flip it around so the terminal block is down.

I say I installed it upside down, because there's a "this side up" arrow on the case. Seemed to me like it shouldn't care which way it was pointed so I called B&C and they said that arrow is on there to keep the terminal block down and somewhat protect it from water and stuff falling on it and shorting it out. As long as thats not a consideration they didn't care which way I mounted it.

B&C regulator

I placed the B&C LR3 regulator on the fwd end of the rib that supports the panel. It was installed when the top skin was off and is still accessible from under the panel but I'm hoping it never needs any maintenance.

Attachments

• 20230812_112705.jpg
    20230812_112705.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 103
Stacking the regulators

Just getting into this. It has taken me a bit of time to wrap my head around the integration of some of these components.

53194158895_8069565758_b.jpg
[/url]panel wire by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

53193768044_91318b12d2_b.jpg
[/url]sticks by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have to find a suitable place for the B&C regulator. Any Ideas?

It sounds like you only have one but for those who need 2 they are easy to stack on top of each other to save space.

I placed the B&C LR3 regulator on the fwd end of the rib that supports the panel. It was installed when the top skin was off and is still accessible from under the panel but I'm hoping it never needs any maintenance.

Paul,
I'm glad to see your setup as this is the area I had loosely staked out for it.
A bouns is seeing your shunt there too. I used an extra shunt I had and converted it for a LV(5v) power Bus. I will post a pic if I can get one.

My forward top skin is on so all this work is vertigo-inducing on a good day for me...hit my head one too many times.

Thank you Terry for the insight. I may add the Vans access panels to the top forward skin. I really need a little easier access to this part of the plane.
I have not looked forward to this upside-down back-wrenching work.

Dwight,
I was going to have two but I am going with the Monkworkz generator. John Bright has been hand-holding me through much of this if not all and we are going with the Monk. Alleviates the need for a second regulator.
I have one for sale if anyone needs one.
Thanks Dwight!

Monkworkz MZ-30L

You'll be really happy with the Monkworkz - just one box: automatic everything, dual modes of operating (primary and standby). Great little unit.

...and Bill's a solid guy as well :)

You'll be really happy with the Monkworkz - just one box: automatic everything, dual modes of operating (primary and standby). Great little unit.

...and Bill's a solid guy as well :)

Thanks, Brian, I am sure I will be. I've heard good things about it!

So, any idea how I can rescue my older photos in this thread, again? Thanks... [ed. Adding to list, Ken. You can attach them to the posts from now on if you'd like. v/r,dr]

Back