What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7ForMe

I had a short session. Spend about 2.5h in the shop. Finishing the other side of the Rudder R-913 to the Rudder skin. I had stopped the other day after one proud rivet. I figured best to come back to this because it was getting late.

So first thing was to drill that rivet.
download

YaY!
download

These were a bit of a pain to set because the access with the bucking bar is limited. Also the whole Rudder is a bit of a pain because I didn't bother building a jig for it and had no good way to hold everything down while riveting. Mostly my fault.
download

Thanks to Larry I was able to make the counterbalance led fit perfectly. Good call on that again. I used my key as anything round really will work since the led is really soft.
download

Here is finished product
download

I am wondering about this rib. Anyone know if I could enlarge these 2 wholes and that way there would be access to the nuts of the counterbalance to check later? assuming the fiberglass tip is secured by screws this way these would accessible. Anyone?
download

Man this blows I keep seeing that dent I put in there the other day....
download

Last edited:

Another short 2.5 h in the shop.

I have other things keeping me away from the shop so It had been a few days.

I started torquing down the counterbalance weight. I had already done this but I checked again with the torque wrench just to make sure. This is one of the areas I won't be able to get back to check.

I also opened the Sikaflex and put some on around the bolt. Not sure this will help but I have seen other people do this. I don't think it makes much of a difference.
download

Installing the rivets of the tip rib. I had to watch out since there are 2 different rivet length used here.
download

All done. I used the rivet gun on all of these.
download

I have over and over thought how to best do the trailing edge of the rudder. turns out non of my work tables are 100% straight. So I used a new straight piece of wood and screwed the aluminum angle to it so that they are flush.
download

A dab of Sika between the stiffeners will hopefully prevent cracking of the skin. Or so I am told.
download

All clecoed to the angle. the shop is a mess again. Sorry about that.
I will just have to leave to dry for a week or so.
download

By the way: the tight wholes in the end of the ribs I could't reach with my regular bucking bar but I just taped a thin steel bar to my bucking bar. This works pretty good.
download

Different View: I use lots of protective tape on my bars...
download

Last edited:

Alright. It's time to just do it!

First off: I decided to use Sikaflex instead of pro-seal for mainly cost reasons.
Sikaflex is a freaking mess to spread evenly. The stuff sticks to just about everything and is pretty nasty. I thought I did a good job spreading on to the wedge. I decided this based on old threads on the forum...

My process: I deviated from the plans slightly. I drilled the TE to the aluminum angle that I had screwed flush to the table. Made sure everything is straight about 10 times and then glued it all with Sikaflex. So far so good...

I waited a few days. Came back. Then I flipped the angle to the side that had NO wholes in it. Also screwed flush to the table.

Now I put a rivet in every whole and taped them on so that they wouldn't fall out. The side with the shop head now layed flush onto the angle side that had no wholes. Since my angle is pretty thick I saw no harm in just using the hand squeezer to set the rivets half way with the angle in place. So in essense I used the angle as a back riveting plate with the hand squeezer. Makes sense? This also worked out very well.

Not sure if I explained it wery well. I didn't take any pictures at the time so this is after the fact and with my practice mini wing on the angle. Just to show how I did this step...
download

After checking again for straightness. Looked good to me.... It was time to get out the rivet gun with the flush set. I worked very slowly and did every 10th whole and worked alternating until all of them were set.

While I was setting the first few rivets I was saying all kinds of bad words because I noticed that while I was riveting I was getting some waviness between the rivets. This is due to the Sikeflex only being compressed where the rivet set hits the surface. Yet, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to accomplish much by drilling them out, I pressed on. After setting all of them and cleaning up everything with a sotch brite pad I was actually a little happier than before.

The rudder itself is straight! on the side that was back riveted laying on the riveting plate (the shop head) it looks great and is straight and perfect! On the other side (manufacturing head) there are little waves between the rivets due to the ever so slight amount of Sika that was not compressed compared to the parts around the rivets that were hit with the flush head.

View from the back
download

Zooming in you will see what I mean.
download

It does lay flat on the table. So that's good
download

download

Personal take away:
Well, all in all riveting these rivets really wasn't that hard and I think using a hand squeezer to partially set rivets while the edge is still in place on the angle is the way to go! If I were to do it again tomorrow I would not use Sika or pro-seal again. I am sure this is due to my poor application. I think the double sided tape would have been easier. However I decided to do the Sika route because of people saying that the result looks better using pro-seal. Ok, Maybe this is true but it certainly not on my first try. I would be inclined to say. I would actually rather try without anything at all. I think that would make the best look in the end without anything between the wedge and the skin. I am pretty sure I could have gotten the same straightness without using any kind of glue... So yea these are my 2 cents

The Rudder is done except for the 1 most aft rivet on top and the bottom ribs on each side, the 8 rivets that attach the rudder horn brace to the skin and rolling the leading edge... I have nothing that will reach these rivets at this time. I think 2 types of Yokes are needed for these. No whole and a longeron yoke. I will not buy these now so I will tape these wholes and leave it till later or maybe somebody can borrow these tools to me.

Done for today. Rudder is now on wheels! I am already starting to make airplane noises ;)
download

- Honestly I am not that thrilled with the result. Not sure how good or bad this thing turned out.

Last edited:

Have been busy with school work and exams, so no real progress but I gave polishing a go because the longer my parts are sitting the in the shop the more I like the idea of polished aluminum. I did scratch the parts quite a bit with the SB while I was deburring. I wasn't sure if it would come out but it does after quite a bit of elbow grease.

Before:
download

After:
download

Last edited:

Alright so after a bit of a break from actual building I cleaned the shop a bit and started doing some elevator work. I have been putting off the bending so I started just drilling everything.

I started making a new template for my stiffeners out of steel angle. When it comes to the left elevator stiffners some need to be cut shorter. The plans tell you the following:

download

This gave me a few hours of WTF? because I thought I had it right marked them and then looked at them and something felt off. Luckily I didn't actually cut anything because I would have made scrap metal! So I must have measured this about 10 times before I felt sort of comfortable cutting anything...

Next was to drill the stiffners to the skin. I stated with the right elevator.
download

I initially didn't care much for removing the vinyl with the soldering iron because I thought I was going to paint anyhow. Now that I tried polishing and I like the look I will try to keep the parts scratch free from now on. I taped the rivet wholes with painters tape and used that as a guide for the iron. works well but is a bit of a waste of tape.
download

After all stiffners had been drilled I started working on the right elevator.

Here I drilled the counterbalance weight
download

Countersunk the led with lots of lube
download

Dimpled the skin
download

All drilled!
download

Disassemble, then countersink some things. Like under the attach horn. My cage was to large to fit the outer rivets so I took the cage apart and used it by hand.
download

Can't tell the difference...
download

I have been a bit afraid of bending the trim tab. Weather or not to use riblets.

Well after my rudder trailing edge experience I decided to go with my gut and not necessarily follow the plans 100% on these steps.

I used a few of the extra sheet metal to redraw and cut them into the same shape as the trim tab to practice on. I did 5 practice runs before I used the real thing. Honestly. I should have used 6. the last 2 are darn well perfect.

Mark the bend lines with a sharpie.
download

Some double sided tape to prevent anything from moving. Note that I had to take the vinyl off to make this work.
download

Stuck it to a straight piece of MDF wood. Very strong but thin.
download

Some more double sided tape on top
download

Another piece of MDF on top and secure everything with clamps
download

Start bending with another piece of MDF. I didn't use the rivet gun for any of the bends. Just my hands and wood. Just went real slow and easy. Out of all the bends I did on actual AC parts this first one was the worst. The rest were much better.
download

---

Next
download

Next
download

Next
download

Done!
download

It has been a while since I posted any progress. Not to say I haven't been making any but I will say I have been moving much slower than I thought.
I also made a few mistakes on the elevators and trim tab.

Full disclosure: from the previous post you can see I did a pretty good job bending the tabs over. Well, That is because I deviated from the plans and changed the order. The plans tell you to do that last. At the time I didn't see it but it bit me in the butt later. Bending the tabs before bending the Trailing edge is easier but it kind of causes trouble because to ensure a good TE you have to over bend it a little because of the spring back of the metal. That is asking for trouble because the nicely bend tabs are in the way.

download

So I managed but I caused a tiny crack in the Trim tabs small top end. VANS said it is OK and to just stop drill it but I kid of hate it.

download

I have decided to go ahed and finish the trim tab anyway. Next thing is that I back riveted the rivets on the Trim tab. But I didn't do the E717&E718 first. Having no Longeron Yoke those rivets really sucked! They aren't perfect. If It bothers me enough I will just order a whole new trim tab whenever I buy the wings.

download

But Lets get back in order of things. I match drilled both sides of the elevator and trim tab at the same time. Dimpled all of it and deburred everything.
Next silly thing on my happy train of mistakes. I some how messed up a dimple on the left elevator. Don't know how but it really sucked.

This is my setup. Has worked great for all the other pieces. I guess I wasn't paying attention.
download

Here it is in all of it's glory!

download

download

OK So another email to Vans after saying a bunch of bad words. They said an UPs rivet may work fine here. I had purchased these in the beginning thinking I needed them. As it turned out I had not used a single one up to this point so I wend ahed and tried to recreate my genius dimple on a scrap piece to find out how to work the ups rivets. From the outside this cannot be seen. except for the rivet being a difference color. Good safe I guess.

After all the deburring work it was time for what looks to be the last priming session of the empenage kit. I have been taking a tremendous amount of time for the priming prep. So I decided to split it in 2 sessions. I am glad I did. It is a bit of a waste of materials but it also doesn't take 8 hours straight. So it was a bit more pleasant to me.

download

Since I may want to polish I decided to tape off the parts that are exposed to the outside. This is the Counterbalance skin where it overlaps with the main elevator skin.

download

Next thing was to backrivet the stiffeners to the skins. I layed them out in order while priming them to not run the risk of mixing them up. Worked out good. The corner rivets close to the bend where the hardest to get.

download

The bending of the Trailing edge. I had been putting this off because I read so much grief about it on the Forums. Eventually I just started doing it. As I said before I created my own additional problem here by bending over the tabs before this step. DON'T DO THAT!

I used 2 pieces of oak with 6 hinges. I think a continuous piano hinge would be best but I didn't have one of those. I used a 4mm wooden wedge taped into position with double sided tape. That worked well. But was a pain to get out later. I also taped the skin with double sided tape on the bottom side of the bend. That was to ensure nothing moves while I apply pressure. That worked out good as well. My bend is close but not prefect. I choose to not over do it because I didn't want to crack any more things. I may have to manually adjust the bend later in the areas where it does need improvements. But as I said it is pretty darn close. I went very slow on this. Took for ever!

download

download

Next on the list of things to do was to build both skeletons. I started with the rear spar E702L/R.

download

Using lots of tape to prevent scratches.

download

After the skeleton is done the plans tell you to rivet 2 rivets on each side of the overlap of the E-701 and the E-713 counterbalance skin together to prevent the need for pop rivets at that locations. Makes sense.

download

Then it is time to insert the skeleton to the skin. I put a clecoe in every whole starting at the counter balance weight to make sure all is straight. EHHHH. Another mistake. I forgot the dab of RTV at the stiffeners. Ok no big deal un clecoe and reclecoe. My RTV pistol was at my buddies so I used a different one that. That one sucked. I really made a mess with this stuff. The problem was every time I squeeze the pistol there was way to much remaining pressure in it so it just kept poring all over the place and sticking to everything and ensuring that only a very small amount was put at the right location was a challenge. I had to finish one side because otherwise the RTV in place already would dry in the wrong position. I did get my gun for the other side and that worked out great as I was used to. No mess no fuzz.

download

Ok, now time to rivet :) I started at the top where the counter balance weight is located and did one rivet at the time alternating sides. This took way longer than it would have if I had done all rivets on one side first. I did this because I wanted to make sure I didn't create a twist in the elevator.

download

Again using lots of tape. Going slow. I had to drill out 1 on the right elevator.

On the left elevator it was pretty much the same except for the cut out for the trim tab.
With now most of the rivets set except for the ones around the trim tab thing aren't moving anymore. I had to do 2 more pop rivets on the bend. Next mistake. I believe I should have used a MSP-42 rivet here. Those are non flush rivets.

download

I did think about any way to prevent me from using the pop rivets in the middle connecting the E-701L to the E-606PP. I couldn't think of any thing that would risk making more mistakes. Ironically I must have messed up at the inventory so when I was looking for the called out rivets MK391BS I had larger rivets in the box. So I was like OMG!!! another mistake! Did I not drill and dimple for #30 at this location?

download

So I quit that night and went home. Glad I did. As it turned out I just had somehow swapped labels for my pop rivets. So the ones that go in there need to be drilled to a #33 and will work fine with the #40 dimple. Well good enough because solid rivets as I learned are 100° and pop rivets are 120°. So if I had known I could have bought another set of special dimple dies for the pop rivets. Since it was to late to do anything about it anyway I went ahed and set them. They look fine.

Trim Tab fun begins....

This thing didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I clecoed everything. Together and decided it would be smart to backrivet the bottom row of rivets. That worked fine but I didn't think to try if my squeezer would get in there to set the rivets. This is one of those times a longeron Yoke would have solved the problem. I didn't have one and went ahed and improvised...Never a good idea. I got them in there but they aren't as good as I would have liked them to be and have a few scratches on them. That add to the fact that the corner top skin has a tiny crack due to my bending of the TE I may or may not choose to rebuild this thing. But I will decide that later.

Back riveted the bottom.

download

My trouble some rivets that gave me grief!

download

Somehow got them in there but they have a few scratches now...

download

Everything clecoed together.

download

Bottom side
download

Hinge attached

download

So I am done with most of the riveting but I had left out a few hard to reach rivets on the rudder & elevators. I asked Vans about using pop rivets as the plans do say I can use the CS4-4. There is a problem with that.

By the way the CS4-4 are a vans name and are equal to the BSC-44.
Now, these rivets are acutally flush pull rivets that are to be drilled to a #30 and dimpled as well. Those corner tight wholes in the elevator and rudder I had drilled and dimpled to the #40. I see no way to get in there with a dimpler for a #30 and also I don't know if I could even dimple a skin and a rib at the same time. So I asked Vans if I could use the same rivets I have been using on elevators called MK319BS. These are to be drilled to a #33 and use the #40 dimple. They said that that would be acceptable as long as the grip is within range. But he also send me a link to an EAA video about indirect riveting. LINK EAA

I had already seen this video when I was riveting the practice kit but I did pretty poorly and decided to not do that again back then.

Now a few 100 or 1000 rivets later I decided to give it another shot. I did it a bit different tough.

I put the rivets in the wholes that I wanted to rivet and taped them.

download

Made sure the skin is very flush with the steel plate. I had to drill one out because It wasn't, thus causing a proud rivet. Also used some tape to prevent scraches.

download

Taped everything in place so there is as little movement as possible.

download

My version of indirect riveting involves another piece of steel about the hight of a rivet. This prevents the angle on the head being to steep and makes it easier to not mess up the rivet head.

download

I used very short but strong bursts. I used a lot more pressure than I would usually use to rivet a 3-3.5 rivet.

download

Final results are very acceptable I think.

download

The only whole I couldn't get are the most corner one on the Rudder. Even my little scrap steel part I used here is to thick. I wonder if it would be bend if I shaved it down to a size that would fit in that whole. I read on the -14 the plans tell you to use pull rivets here...

download

RV-14 Plans

download

Last edited:
That is what I did on my rudder, used the MK-319-BS on the last two. The RV-7 plans actually say in the rudder section that you can do this. Nice work by the way.

That is what I did on my rudder, used the MK-319-BS on the last two. The RV-7 plans actually say in the rudder section that you can do this. Nice work by the way.

Thanks. The only problem is that my kit didn't come with enough of them. I ran out! I guess I will just leave them for now. Don't feel like ordering 10 of them for 12$ with stupid shipping...

Rivets are very soft. I bet you could get away with thinning out your steel bar. Nothing to lose if you test it on scrap first. +1 on Nice work.

Thanks. The only problem is that my kit didn't come with enough of them. I ran out! I guess I will just leave them for now. Don't feel like ordering 10 of them for 12$ with stupid shipping...

Ya I am going to run out as well, too bad we don't live closer so we can do a group order and only spend $12 to ship 20 of them! lol :D

I forgot to finish the last post of the left elevator trim tab attachment. For me this was a tricky one and also something I would want to do better on the next one. But again I send VANS some pictures and they said it's fine.

Let me explain. The difficulty happens when there are countersunk and dimpled parts mating on top of each other. If things are absolutely perfect things will go south... There is also some added difficulty as these rivets are very hard to reach, at least with tools that I have. I was told a longeron yoke would solve this problem. However I have now borrowed one (after the fact) and I wouldn't have been able to reach any of them with that yoke due to the opposite side being in the way.

First I used the aluminum angle I had used for the Rudder TE to align the elevator with the trim tab. The plans call for a minimum gap. Since I had already riveted the hinge of the Trim tab I actually didn't have a great deal of play.
download

checking alignment again. When looking closely my 2 bend lines aren't 100% parallel to one another. So that confused me at first. But I suppose it is just another imperfection my plane is going to have to fly with.
download

These were the rivets that gave me some trouble. The spar of the trim tab is countersunk. The skin is dimpled. My first mistake here was to start at the inside instead of at the bend. Essentially things didn't line up 100% and I created a bit of a waviness in the skin. That caused a bit of canning at the rivet lines. At the time I was ready to start a new elevator but Vans assured me that this is actually not going to be a problem besides being a cosmetic issue.
download

After Fighting like **** with this row of rivets. I had to get these 2 last rivets and that was also not as easy as it would have been if I had just riveted these beforehand while the skeleton was still flexible and not held in place by the skin. The plans call for this order but if I had to do it again I would rivet them in there before. I had to improvise here to get in there with the 3" Tatco Yoke.
download

Here is the finished product.
download

download

Between post #40 and #41 I took a break from building. Next thing on the to do list was roll the leading edges of the rudder and elevators. I needed a edge breaking tool. I had ordered one of the nylon roller type and it just never made to me. Since every order I make of these "special" tools usually come from the USA and it takes a few weeks I had was kind of out of things to do.

Eventually I asked a follow builder if I could borrow a few things to finish the empenage kit. But with busy schedules that also took a few weeks. So this past Monday I finally started working on the plane again.

Here is what I borrowed. I swear I felt like a kid on Christmas when I could finally get building again. Little did I know what was about to unfold.
download

Full disclosure, I thought I would roll the LE in a day and pop some pull rivets and be done with it... WRONG!

This turned out to be the worst part of the whole kit thus far for me. I absolutely didn't get how to properly do this. Even after yet another builder send me an email with pictures on how he did it and spend some time on the phone with me explaining his method (THANK YOU SO MUCH) I still had a really hard time with it and spend the better part of 20 hours spread over 3 days rolling these 3 leading edges.

Let's try to start at the beginning.
This is what I started with. 2 pretty decent looking elevators. By the way I primed the outside of the control surfaces during my non building time because I was getting pretty bad filliform surface corrosion at the rivet heads. I talked to Vans about it and due to the climate here I decided the parts were going to need some protection for the time of the build.

download

I used 3M tape and a wooden broom handle. Size was something like 0.85in. The plans call for 3/4 -1" so I thought this would work well. First I tried to roll them all at once but that didn't work out so good so I did them in 3 sections.
download

Then I turned it around and started rolling. I had carved the end of the wood to better hold it with some pliers. I also had this self made tool holding the wood from rolling up and preventing the bend close to the spar.
download

Result wasn't very pleasing. I suppose you can hardly tell whats going on this picture. But Lets just say I had an incredible hard time with this task.
download

After the phone call from a local builder he suggested to use a 22mm galvanizes pipe. So desperate me went to the hardware store bought exactly that and tried again. The tape stuck better to the pipe than to the wood. Ok. But I was still getting nowhere. Also, I felt I needed different sizes in diameter for the different sections. the small most outer part was easily done at first try with the pipe. The others not so much.

So this was version 2.0
download

What I found in the archives is that a lot of people had good success with this method: Socket Roller

I actually didn't take any picture because I was just really pissed at the whole time... I did Video tape the process. So if I get bored enough I may throw together a little clip.

Here is one elevator.
download

download

download

Oh yea and 2 roles of tape...
download

This was a PITA! What bugs me most is that through the whole first kit there have been tricky things but all was due to the fact that I have never done it before and was unfortunately making experiences on the actual parts. But after there was always. "well next time I will get it perfect, because now I know how to do it" Weather it was just use this tool over that or try different technique. But the rolling leading edges had non of that. If I had to do all of them again tomorrow it wouldn't get easier nor would I get a better results. So that was the most frustrating part for me.

I didn't learn how to do it and that is usually the rewarding part of the process

Last edited:

Now that I have complained enought about the leading edges I got to do some things that I did know how to do. Drilling and cutting...

I followed the plans and put the Rod end bearing into the elevators to the correct spacing and attached the elevator to the rear spar of the HS. I had a bit of a hard time at first because I had primed the powder coated brackets and the bolts didn't want to go in. Since the space it tight I decided to drill away the paint from the wholes. I guess this will be a corrosion issue place but since it will be lubed it should be no problem I suppose.

After that they slid right in. (BTW my rear spar of the HS isn't riveted in place because I still need to get it signed off)
download

Next thing I needed to trim the HS to match the elevators movement. I think the HS is the same as the RV-8 and therefore needs to be adjusted a bit.
download

Nothing hard. Still took my sweet time. Measure twice. Cut once.
download

I drilled the corner of the cut with a small drill and then used a dremel tool to cut the rest.

download

Deburr
download

Repeat 4 times... DONE!
download

Last edited:

One little modification I have done to my tail feathers I had previously written about. I had used this flexible cable tubing in the front end of the VS going to the top because I am planning on having an antenna and / or a camera up there. The idea was stolen from others on the forum, but my design was flawed. I didn't notice this until I accidentally moved the VS abruptly and it had made a disturbing noise. The hose being flexible and the VS being tight caused contact with the skin.

download

Just to give you an idea what type of tube I had used.
download

Glad I caught this now rather than later. My new solution needed to be something that didn't move. So I bought a light weight pipe made of fiberglass. Cut to length and installed.
download

View from the inside
download

Last edited:
I feel your pain on them leading edges, they were not easy to do! I found that the front of them had to have a tighter radius than the section closest to the spar. Your rolled edges look great though!

I feel your pain on them leading edges, they were not easy to do! I found that the front of them had to have a tighter radius than the section closest to the spar. Your rolled edges look great though!

Thanks. Don't let the pictures fool you. But I just saw yours. They look perfect!

While I have never flown or sat any RV7, a friend sometimes takes me flying in his RV-9A. This always motivates me but a few weeks ago he let me get some stick time from the right for about 30 min. The -9 feels so nicely compared to the spam cans that I am used to.

I hope the -7 will be even better!

download

Remember when I said “I will be back” ?

Well I am and come bearing news: I have received my RV-7 Wing kit and it all worked out in the end but it was a very long journey with quite a few bumps along the way.

The following is my PIREP about buying a used RV kit. This may or may not be of interest to you. So feel free to skip it.

- - -

I had talked to multiple people that were selling wing kits over the past 8 months. Two deals fell through very early. Either because the seller didn’t want to deal with me shipping the kit outside the continental US or simply because of the stage of build that the wings are in. Once the ribs are attached to the wings the size of shipping crates would have to be huge. The kit price would have had to be very low to offset the crating and shipping charges of a halfway assemble wing kit.

I decided I was looking for a “barely” started standard build (SB) kit that could still go back into a crate of reasonable size.

What I found back in beginning of February was a used kit that was advertised as “unstated in original crates”. I was not able to inspect the parts because they were located in the USA and I am not. Flying over and looking at them would have made any savings insignificant.

I thought to myself “well that’s perfect, they can just pick it up and it will be easy…”

NOPE! Far from it. I must have send about an email a day for about 3-4 weeks until everything was finalized. I received a scanned copy of the original shipping list. With that I called Vans and talked to them about it and about risks and concerns. They have a pretty good guide on buying used parts. I must admit they were more against buying used than for it. They probably have their reasons based on past experience.

Well stubborn me at that point really wanted those wings. I went out and got a bunch of quotes for shipping since I had the dimensions and weight of the crates off the Vans website that was easy. However, the long 186“ crate ruled out a lot of shippers. Fedex wouldn’t not touch it. I received a very good quote from UPS, or so I thought.

I had made my final offer and agreements / contract based on that quote.

Even though I had the quote in writing the way their conditions (*) are written they can pretty much charge whatever they feel like after pickup. What happened was that I called them to get the quote. Without my awareness due to the oversize of the crate I was forwarded to UPS business end. I did buy these wings as a private person from a private person. So no business involved. I was then told that if that was the case the quote was no good and they would not give me another one or ship these at all.

So after I send a bunch of money to the seller in good faith I had no shipping arrangements and I had to start all over.

For some reason until then I had never been asked about the wood and crates, however little did I know how important that information was. I was then told that if the crates are not “ISPM 15” stamped they would not be able to leave the USA on any kind of vessel. This is a bug regulation to prevent bugs ruining forests in other countries.

Oh boy! I bought a set of wings in crates with no such stamp.

I called vans and asked them if they could verify that their crates were made to ISPM 15 standards. They send me a copy of their membership with the organization that gives out that stamp and they told me they have been making crates to this standard since 2006. My wings are not that old but they never bothered to stamp the crates because they weren’t meant for international shipping.

SERIOUSLY?

Yes, I have crates that are perfectly good and I have to trash them because they weren’t stamped...Go figure.

This is what the stamp should look like by the way.
download

The next days I spend getting yet another set of quotes that included repacking the crates and shipping. Cost a bunch of money more but at least someone was willing to do it.

Next issue I had not foreseen: All of the quotes based from the US to the nearest sea port. I thought I could just pick it up there, deal with customs myself and take the kit home with me. Well after further investigating I was told I can’t just do that. I need a local shipping company at the port to deal with unloading the crates from the ship and putting the in storage, then they will deal with customs on my behalf and then I can come pick it up.

I asked the US shipping company to give me a contact information of their partners at the port of destination. They gave me a name and I called them up and asked them for a quote of fees for their services. Yea, that was another hard blow. They wanted about 580$ for the handling things at the port!

In the meantime, I was figuring out that while I can drive a trailer I cannot legally pull one long enough for the long crate.

Another call to the guys at the port: they will happily deliver the crates to my house for another 615$.

At this point I was pretty much crying inside since the ocean freight is less than the handling fees and a home delivery of 200 miles of trucking.

OMG! What a nightmare...

Last edited:

I was really wishing I never started this whole mess and just ordered the wings from vans and payed the full price. I then politely asked the seller if we cancel the deal. Well, he didn’t want to do that. I guess I can’t really blame him but it really sucked. Any savings I had thought I can make here went overboard and it really looked like I was going to be paying more than new price for old stuff I have never even seen.

In hindsight I am glad that I found out about all of these issues before the crates were picked up. The sea shipping business was HeII for me and I cannot recommend any of it. Most of them simply do not want to deal with small shipments and individuals. The problem is that most of their fees are per ton. So even 400lbs of aluminum will cost the same as the first ton.

Based on this information I went out and asked the guys to ship it via Air-freight to a small regional airport about 20 miles from my house. Sure, it was more money than I had planned with but at this point it was less expensive than sea freight and I had very little alternatives.

I had signed and paid for everything and was just waiting to hear from the shipping guys. I must admit I was very impatient during this process because they went radio silent for a good 10 days after they told me they picked up the crates and had repacked them. I remember when I ordered my first kit from Vans. It was at my door within one week. Just no comparison.

The excuse was that the shipping company’s internet provider was acting up and they couldn’t get back to me. Sure these things happen but it was hard be on the waiting end. What happened then while being good news made my life a bit difficult. I received an email at 11pm my time on a Monday with the shipping itinerary. WHAT?

My crates were already in the country and were arriving at the pick-up airport the next morning at 6am. Essentially I got a 7-hour notice. To my further amusement the final paperwork from the airline said “insurance value: XXX” what apparently means 0$. As you may imagine I barely slept that night. I am certain I paid for full insurance of the value paid.

Next day I had to fill out the customs online form to declare my crates myself. I couldn’t do that before because I needed the paperwork that they had send me only a few hours ago.

As it turns out the smaller the airport and custom office with less volume the better chance you have of dealing with somebody that understands that this is your first time doing any of the paperwork and may be more inclined to help you out with the process. I got really lucky here and the lady at customs explained a few things to me and walked me through it. I came as best prepared as I knew how with the application all filled out and ready for her. She changed a few things and got the bill ready. I paid the taxes and got the stamp saying that I can pick up my crates.

With that paper and stamp in hand I went next door to the airport cargo company. They asked me to sign a paper in English. He said it is just so we can give you the paperwork. However, I read it and it said that I agree that the crates are undamaged and in good order. I politely refused to sign in without seeing the crates. He got a little mad for causing him work but in the end they had to escort me to the crates. They were without any visible damage. So back to the office to sign the paper. After paying an airport fee of 20$ I was ready to pick up the crates. But I was no were close to organizing any kind of pick up so I now had 48 hours to figure that out before they were going to charge me daily storage fees. This would have been much easier if I had known when the scheduled arrival was going to be.

Legally I am not allowed to drive a trailer long enough, nor drive a truck long enough for the crate. Most of them were about 10 inches to short. I found a rule that says I can let something stick out the back with the door open. So that was the plan. I was having a real hard time booking anything close to the size needed because most of them seemed to be booked out but at midnight I found one booked it.

The next day I picked the rental. I was able to convince a friend to come with me on short notice and help me carry the crates. This day everything went smoothly. We secured the load and drove the crates to my airplane factory. FINALLY, home and undamaged! Let’s hope I didn’t buy any bricks…

Everything secured ready to leave the airport.
download

Arrival. Nothing moved. Just a few more feet to the shop.
download

Final destination for the crates. They don’t even fit into the shop.
download

I went to get some dinner before unpacking everything. I really wanted to get this part over with to make sure I have all the parts and in the process check for damage and corrosion that might have occurred from storage / transport.

After opening the long crate. Moment of truth! I SEE AIRPLANE PARTS! YAEHHHH
download

Everything that was in the long crate.
download

Oh shoot are these first signs of corrosion? Na Turns out just the paper stained with god knows what.
download

Big crate open.
download

As you can see the used kit includes the Newton Deluxe Fuel caps. Nice!
download

In the end it all worked out. I was able to find all parts listed on the shipping list. I didn’t count rivets and hardware in the bags. I assume it is all there. I pulled off some of the blue film of the skins to see if they would come off. No problem with that. So far I only found corrosion on the steel parts and the fuel level sensors float assembly. But I need to look closed I really only did inventory so far. The spars are still sealed in plastic. Will open that soon.

Here is my Packing list. I color coded it by crates. Before I received the crates I thought this would be of value. So here it is.

download

To sum this up: I had a very rough time dealing with all of this and I am so very glad it is over. The seller held up his word and the shipping guys did a real good job re-crating everything without any damage. I am happy it all worked out.
Would I do this again? **** NO !!!

- - -

So if you think about saving on buying used: Think about it long and hard. My 0,02 cents are:
I suggest only doing it if you can inspect and collect the kit yourself. Anything else is quite a gamble and you don’t even know what kind of surprises you are in for. I was in over my head and didn’t know what I didn’t know. One thing came after the next. Not a really pleasant experience but it all worked out in the end so I will take it as a win with a lot of learning experiences along the way. I suppose that is what it is all about. I will stay clear of any sea freight in the future for sure!

Last edited:

Day one of wing construction!

It has been a while since I worked on anything. I have been at a halt since sometime in October. The empennage was done besides some fiberglass work and after my last application that didn?t dry due to low temperatures I quit working with fiberglass.

After getting my used wing kit into my shop I spend about 4 hours inventorying everything and labelling the hardware containers. Boy that took for ever!

I had some other things to do with school work and wasn?t able or didn?t allow myself to start build anything because I knew it would only distract me.

However last week I decided to start working on the flaps. The plans say it in the manual ?it is the easiest control surface? I figured due to space issues in my shop starting here would be a good idea.

I read some build logs and noticed most guys only take like 10 -15 hours to finish the flaps. I must be really slow because I think it will take me way longer. I already spend about 10 hours and I have only finished all the drilling and fabricating all the parts required.

But let?s start at the beginning. I looked ad DWG 14A and got out all required parts. I deburred all the parts before assembly to make sure I won?t cut myself.
download

Next step I fabricated the FL-708. 4 of these are required.
download

I marked the one whole with an ?x? figuring the second whole doesn?t need to be marked as long as I have the center line.
download

After putting togeter the skeleton of the left and the right flap I spend about 20 minutes looking for the orientation of the right flap (not shown on the plans). Specifically the the FL-705 ribs? But it was very clearly on the drawing. I just didn?t see it right away.
download

After clecoing the bottom skin I drilled the most aft whole using the skin as a drill guide.
download

After that I drilled the whole into the ribs from the aft side with a shim made from the trim bundle. I had to pay attention while drilling this to stay within edge distance. It helped me to clamp everything down while drilling.
download

The plans call for a number 30# whole in this place so I drilled the whole again with a number #30
download

After that I drilled all the rest of the wholes of the bottom skin and the skeleton.

After fabricating the FL-706B I attached it to the FL-704 end rib. One whole, the one shown in this picture is already pre punched. With that I lined it up and drilled the rest of the wholes.
download

Here all wholes drilled.
download

Drilling the top row of wholes that goes through the end rib, spar and the FL-706A was a bit tricky because it was hard to aligning the wholes and clamping everything down and drilling the wholes, but I got it done.
download

Now that the FL-706B wholes are drilled I enlarged the one originaly prepunched whole to ? in.
download

Now that the whole is big enough I used a bolt to secure the platenut and aligned it to my liking. Then drilled the 2 rivet wholes with a #40 drill bit.
download

I cut the angle pretty conservatively so they didn?t match 100%. I clecoed it to the FL-706B to the FL-706A and sanded them down until they were flush and nice looking. Edge distance wasn?t a problem with these parts.
download

All that was left to do was to attach the top skin and make sure everything is straight. It is. Not sure what I would have done if it wasn?t. So I went ahed and final drilled all the remaining wholes. Disassembled everything. That was it for now. Next step is to deburr all the wholes and dimple as required. Then prime?. Urg I haven?t primed anything in over half a year!
download

Here we go!

I finally had some time to do a lot of deburring after final drilling al the wholes on both flaps. Bah. Deburring sucks! I totally forgot how time consuming and tedious it is. Anyway, once that was done I had to find a day with good weather and relativlely dry weather for my first priming sessions in a very long time. First I had to get the shop ready and do all the "safety" things related to priming. New filters and such. I also got some new gloves specially for the use with aceton as I wipe the parts with aceton I noticed that I go through gloves pretty quickly even the thicker ones that are not nitril. The chart said they will take 120 min of aceton. I felt the cold through them after 1 minute so I am not sure if that is just the chemical nature of aceton vaporizing making my hands cold. If any of you want to chime in I would welcome it.

Ok back to the flaps. I was running low on light and my priming session didnt go as smooth as the last one I remember. I had the fan ope to wide and used a lot of paint in the beginning. So I ran out and had to mix up some new paint. All in all was ok. Slight orange peeling and ran out on the outside skin but that is not that big of a deal as I can alway paint that later. I just made sure I hit where the rivet wholes are.

Note to self. I will never again rush paint prep. It just wont turn out as nice as I am used to and will bug me later...

Here is picture.
download

Since I still don't have one of these vice grip style dimple tools that are almost 100? I do this...
download

Works fine. Just a little more work.
download

These were the last dimples and really anything before starting to rivet.
I had not set any rivets since the empennage was done. So I wasn't sure if I still knew how to but as it turns out this skill is like riding a bike. I did start with pretty low air pressure and worked my way up.

Ready to start Riveting!
download

Looking good if I may say so myself...
download

I dimpled the rib and the nutplate and installed the rivet. Worked great.
download

Next was the doubler FL-706B with the long flush rivet that goes into the other side of the nutplate. No problem for the hand squeezer
download

Closeup of me riveting the rest of the universal head rivets on the FL-706B to the FL-705 end rib
download

I kind of debated if If I was putting the shop head on the wrong side with this angle being the thicker material. I decided to do it this way. If I ever need to unrivet anything drilling these rivets from the outside will be easier. If anything I also like the looks better and maybe even aerodynamics. airflow will flow over most of these rivets at some point...
download

Moving on to the bottom skin and the inner ribs FL-704 with the spacers.
download

Here is a close up of the rivet holding the shimm
download

The plans are a little vague on what to do and in what order so I decided to put the whole flap except for the rear spar together with a clecoe in every whole to prevent any room for twist due to movement.
download

Spend the next 3 hours on the floor because that is where I decided to put the Jig and used my flush rivet set to rivet the line of rivets that on the under side of the flap that has the overlap of the bottom and top skin.
download

I used the 3' Yoke as the many builders do as a bucking bar. Worked great.
download

Then I went up the ribs on both sides. According to my rivet checker the rivet called for in the plans for the wholes that are both skins and a rib are to short. I went half a size longer. Somewhere here I had to drill out my first rivet due to overdriving the rivet... Drilling out rivet also still works. I am happy!
download

Opened up the last two wholes for a MK-319BS rivet as called in the plans.
download

The top side of the inboard end rib is no problem. The bottom however is really tight due to the nutplate and the FL706B. I dinged the bottom skin here. I am pissed but there was nothing I could do about it. I think I made the mistake before even shooting the rivet. I guess there is a bit of space between the FL-706B and the skin and while hitting that with the rivet gut I just had to mark it up. Well It is the bottom side and this can be filled. But I still dislike it.

The outboard end rib is much easier as the rib are facing outward. This is an easy job with the squeezer. Except for the really last ones. A no whole yoke would be nice. Since I do not have one I will use the indirect rivet method once the rest of the flap is complete.
download

Rivets set and done.
download

Next step I kind of deviated from the plans. They call for putting in the rear spar and first attaching the blind rivets and then the hinge rivets and the end ribs last. I saw no advantage to that. The contrary. with the hinge, spar and skin being countersunk with dimples they are to me the ones that requiere perfect fit. If I leave those to last I run the risk of pillowing. I had some of that on the much smaller hinger of the left elevator at the trim tab attach and it didn't make me happy. So for me it was first make sure the dimples are resting nicely in the countersinks and the hinge and then I went ahed and used one clecoe in every remaining whole.
download

My knees hurt. Not sure why It took me this long to lift up the flap jig onto a table. Used the squeezer to rivet these rivets real nice and slow making sure I did not ding the very soft hinge. This is where I called it a night at right around midnight. Almost 5 hours of riveting... Yea I know I am slow!
download

When I got back to the factory I first finished up all the rivets along the hinge (bottom side of the flap).
download

I purposely changed the order of when to rivet the ribs with the pop rivets. I decided to do this after the hinge was riveted on because I had such a hard time with the 3 layer sandwich on the empennage. So far so good.
Now, in oder for the top pop rivet to get in there I had to bend ou the curled FL-701 skin for my pop riveter to reach in there. For that to not cause any bending marks in the skin I took off all the clecoes from the FL-701 to the FL-703 front spar.
download

- - -
I did all the pop rivets, or so I thought...
- - -

Turn it around and put all the clecoes back in there...
download

I used this bucking bar and made it better suitable with the sticking rubber parts to make sure no marks on the material.
download

Actually I over drove the very first rivet I set... So that one had to come out. I had the pressure on the gun a that to hight.
download

Not sure how I missed this... but I did. I really thought I had all the pop rivets in there but I missed the rivets attached to the FL-705. But since I had already put in there the solid rivets mating the FL-706A/B getting the pop rivets in there would be complicated.
download

YAP. That totally could have been avoided. I managed to pull the rivet but it wasn't all the way down.
download

So I had to drill the rivet out. Pop rivets are kind of hard to drill out especially this one because I didn't have straight access from above because the skin was over the top of the rivet. I had to use a very long #40 drill and work really slow. I finally got it but I had to push it out bending the corner lip of the FL-705.
Note that the rivet was just stuck in there but it wasn't pulled yet.
download

Last edited:

So on the second attempt I had to push the lip up while pulling the pop riveter.

Worked out in the end but cost me about 30 min and was completely unnecessary. Wont be doing that again on the right flap!
download

Other view
download

The last few rivets were to tight for anything but the indirect riveting technique. This is my version and it works well for me...
download

LEFT FLAP DONE! Also first part of the wing kit!
download

Flaps finished: 40h

I started to repeat each step on the other flap. As one might suspect. It was way easier and went very smoothly without any mistakes.

The plans stress about a straight work bench to avoid a twist. I really don't understand that because with the clecoes in the parts there is no way to lay anything flat so the table doesn't matter. Either, way I have no 100% straight table and the flaps came out great. I had them in my jig for the most part...YMMV

A note about the time I spend building: I read quite a few builders logs for guidance. Most people show their hours spend on each part. I initially decided against tracking my hours because I figured I don't really care how long it takes. But for some reason now I do want to know. I started to watch the time and writing things down in a spreadsheet. Looks like I am much slower than the rest of the guys on the internet...

It took me about 40h for both flaps from start to finish including priming everything with a 2k Primer.

All the riveting on the second flap was done in only 4,5h. For me this is the most fun part of the build. I also like the flaps because they are actually done. I don't have to come back to them and do fiberglass or anything. Completely ready to attach.

Here is a picture of both of my finished flaps in a newly build holder. I have 2 empty places on it for the ailerons. GUESS WHATS NEXT?

download

Last edited:

First day of aileron construction!

It has been a while since I have posted or worked on the plane. They say you should work on it a little bit every day. Well I must admit I didn't do much of anything for about 1 month.

Coming back to the shop and getting all the parts out needed for the ailerons was quite exciting.
download

Then I realized the first thing the plans has you do are the stiffners...and there are 32 of them. OH boy FUN!

I fabricated this template out of 3mm steel. Took me quite a bit of time to do this.
download

After some quality time with my hand saw this was done.
download

After lots of this,
download

this,
download

oh yeah! and this,
download

I turned this:
download

Into this:
download

This really was no fun but what are ya gonna do...

Little update.

I will be working on fixing a friends RV7A for a little bit. I shall be back to work on my wings once that project is back in the air... I will report back

Read here if you are interested: RV-7A Rebuild

Hello.... quick update. Nothing really moved forward on my own airplane. In fact it actually went backwards as i gave some build parts to my buddy for his rebuild to save some time to get his RV back in the air. I got new parts for it and the promise I will finally get some right seat time in an actual RV7! Never flown one :(

In the meantime. I saved up a bit of money and wrote Vans a check for the Fuselage kit! Big decision time here. It will be an RV7-A I went back and forth a lot on this decision and reviewed my mission and while I think the tail dragon is waaay sexyer the nose dragger is just a bit more practical. YMMV of course, but the decision is done.

Also, to give credit where credit is due. Somebody on this forum posted a very nice rolling tool box that insprired me to get one myself. Until now my own project never requried it but since my tools have been at the rebuild project it is actually really convenient to have a tool box that rolls around the airplane once parts get big. Also I just think it is very cool...

So I ordered one of these cheap A** boxes of the world wide web and it came with dents and dings and didn't roll very well.
download

I then started looking at alternative and it very quickly became obvious that this as most tools go "you get what you pay for" So I ordered anther one for close to tipple the price of the first one.
download

I then went out and did some "tuning for all my aircraft specific tools.

Desinged it on the computer...
download

Drilling some wholes...
download

download

Final Product!
download

View from the side...
download

Some Knippex Love...
download

Nice little project that made me feel I was working at least a little bit on my own plane although no actual airplane parts were involved.

+1

I used to think I had the coolest rolling tool box around. You have outdone me! Very nice job. I'm impressed.

Very impressed indeed, nicely done. Gives me something to think about for when I have a garage big enough to wheel one around. :D

best toolbox ever

Well I could easily join the line and congrat you to your impressiv toolbox. But honnestly, what kind of plane are you realy building, if you think you will need this armada of wrenches?:cool:
On the other handside... waiting sucks. I ordered all sub kits for my RV-12 4 months ago and they left the factory just yesterday. Don't ask what I did all winter instead of building....

Last edited:
But honestly, what kind of plane are you realy building, if you think you will need this armada of wrenches?:cool:

Hahaha you are funny... in my defense I am building the "best" kind of plane haha (an RV!) and the top row of those wrenches are in metric sized and the rest are those "funny" sizes that keep confusing me...

Back