What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Z-EDD, Zimbabwe

Z-EDD

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone!

The journey begins for me, but in a uniquely frustrating way! A small delay to the ship meant that the kit got caught up in the Christmas traffic, and then the complete shutdown of almost all industry and transport that paralyses Southern Africa every January. I had arranged vacation so I could get started, but in the end I had to leave on a three week trip just 4 days before it arrived. So the pictures here were taken by my wife, and are still all I have seen of it. But its time to start getting excited again as I'm starting on the way home and should be cracking open the crates on Friday!

There is of course a silver lining to this delay. If it had arrived on time I might just have finished the HS by now, and then face having to rebuild it to comply with the SB!

Anyway, here are the photos of the arrival and unloading, African style! Never any shortage of labour to carry heavy stuff around here :)1978862_10151912123891302_631259404_n by Ed Fleming, on Flickr1978862_10151912123891302_631259404_n by Ed Fleming, on Flickr1978862_10151912123891302_631259404_n by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Last edited:
Congrats Ed! The shop looks like it has plenty of distractions (toys) to try to knock you off course. Enjoy the journey. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck.

Thanks guys. Yes a few distractions, but the E-flight RV-9 is pure inspiration, flies just as well as its big cousins. Hope one day to build new wings and tail to convert it to a-7, but then that would make it a distraction again... Oh dear, here we go, so many toys, so little time:rolleyes:

Congrats

Nice looking shop Ed! Welcome aboard. We look forward to watching your progress. Keep banging those rivets and before you know it the pile of parts will be an airplane.

Dale

RV 7

Hi Ed. I am here in Harare too and have got a partially completed 7 kit waiting to ship from Mesa, AZ in the next few weeks. Hopefully it will be going into the same container that Isaac Levy is bringing out his completed aircraft in. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the build and boosting the RV population in Zim. If you don't mind send me your details and we can get together and talk RV's. I currently fly a bush baby (kit fox) that I built and a sonex out at Komani. Regards, John Sharples 0772 274 372

Welcome to the RV Brotherhood

Welcome to the RV Brotherhood.

Ed and John, I will be in Harare at Charles Prince on the 18/19th of June for the Zim Rally. It will be with Tony Petter-Bowyer and the Cirrus ZS-CPB.

Hope to see and John then. Anything that you might need, just ask bye e-mail.

On the E-Flite RV9 - what is the correct prop on it. Sorry to ask but my son "borrowed" my prop.

Sorry to take so long to reply, I got home late on Thursday night and the whole family were sound asleep. Opened two of the boxes and quickly found the two large packages from cleaveland tool in the fuselage crate. Turned in well after midnight and the last few days have been like several christmas's rolled into one! Three kits plus the tools all in one go is almost too much to handle, I'm like a spoiled kid! Anyway, we managed to get the wing kit fully inventoried and stored away today, and two of the crates are now broken down and out of the way so at least the garage is a little less crazy.

Is Zim pretty stable these days?

Kind of depends on your definition of stable, but we manage! It is, and always has been, safer than most parts of SA, IMO.

Hi Ed. I am here in Harare too and have got a partially completed 7 kit waiting to ship from Mesa, AZ in the next few weeks. Hopefully it will be going into the same container that Isaac Levy is bringing out his completed aircraft in. Really looking forward to getting stuck into the build and boosting the RV population in Zim. If you don't mind send me your details and we can get together and talk RV's. I currently fly a bush baby (kit fox) that I built and a sonex out at Komani. Regards, John Sharples 0772 274 372

John, I'll get hold of you next week, it'll be great to meet you!

Ed and John, I will be in Harare at Charles Prince on the 18/19th of June for the Zim Rally. It will be with Tony Petter-Bowyer and the Cirrus ZS-CPB.

Hope to see and John then. Anything that you might need, just ask bye e-mail.

On the E-Flite RV9 - what is the correct prop on it. Sorry to ask but my son "borrowed" my prop.

Thanks Jan, we'll definitely get together in June! On the model, mine has a non standard set up. I put a Hacker motor, A30-something, afraid I can't remember. But it's swinging an 11x5.5 APC-E prop. Very overpowered with this set up, scale take-offs with just over half throttle!

Late update

Been working hard on the empennage and am nearly done with the elevators. Here are some photos so far.

IMG_1587 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Obligatory First rivet photo!

Front spar coming together.

The new Doublers.

Trimming the forward spars.

IMG_1652 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This picture shows a slight issue I had. The plans are a little vague concerning this angled trimming of the forward spar. I did not trim enough and had some interference with the rib flange. This shot shows the hole location marked so I could trim some more.

IMG_1652 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This shows the interference referred to above, between the spar flange and rib flange.

IMG_0305 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

HS Parts primed.

Getting ready to rivet the centre rib to top skin.

The center rib is in, time to insert the skeleton.

And thats the HS Done!

Last edited:
Rudder

IMG_0321 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0359 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

I screwed this up just like so many do, insufficient edge distance on the brace. Had to order a stiffener I messed up too so ordered a new one.

Here's another job for the little ones, rivet insertion!

Although I didn't get any pictures I discovered an interesting mistake at this point. I had made a classic "dimple eight" on one of the lower stiffeners. After researching the issue I had cleaned it up and decided to move on. It was riveted to the skin with the remaining holes and the offending hole to be filled in. At this stage when fitting the skins to the skeleton I noticed a slight bulge in the skin at this location. Sure enough when I removed the skin and sighted down the stiffener I could see a kink where the dimple 8 had occurred. If you make such a dimpling error I would suggest you check the part, be it stiffener or rib, for similar deformation that may be visible on the skin. I replaced the stiffener at this point.

Switched primers to Tempo Zinc Phosphate. Takes a couple of days to dry properly but is then much more durable than the automotive etch primer I was using before.
IMG_0386 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Not easy to see in this photo but I did manage a very slight bow in the TE. I had the rivets all about 3/4 set and thought I was home free so started finishing them off from one end. Luckily I saw the bow starting and realised my mistake, finished them from the centre out as I should have. Lesson learned, it ain't over 'til all the rivets are fully set!! Its very slight, perhaps a millimetre. Acceptable.

IMG_0359 by Ed Fleming, on FlickrDon't have a finished photo of the rudder for some reason so this will have to do. Only now that I am busy with the leading edges of the elevators can I appreciate how easy this actually was, but I did not enjoy it at the time!

Last edited:
Lookin' good, Ed! I see you have the E-Flite RV-9 r/c plane. I've got one too, and it's probably flown more than any other in the fleet. :)

Left Elevator

10694453_10152293026516302_2145125686841120586_o by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

The dreaded trim tab bends. I did plenty of practicing on scrap before trying this, even making a dummy trim tab skin. Nobody ever seems to mention practicing this one? I found it helped. Key points:-
1) Use hardwood forming blocks.
2) Use strong, thin double sided tape to hold all blocks in place. Mine came from my wife's scrap booking stuff.
3)Clamp the whole thing down HARD!
After that its easy until removing the forming blocks, which are now seemingly welded in place, no wonder they didn't move! I actually bent my skin very slightly, luckily on the bottom. Patience and perhaps a mild solvent is suggested.

IMG_0478 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This is how I riveted the lower skin to spar. needed the longeron yoke.

IMG_0479 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

How's that, first time! I plan on evening up the relief notch to look more symmetrical.

Aligning the forward hinge segment for drilling. For this I remembered a similar task in the toolbox kit. Got everything aligned then made sharpie marks all along the hinge and skin.

Re-aligned the marks, clamped and drilled. The Jury is still out on this one. When I replaced the trim tab my TE was very slightly misaligned, but I think that was due to my alignment angle slipping slightly and also the small amount of play in the hinge. I have a new piece of hinge so I'll be trying again. will be careful to take out the slack next time.

And this is where I'm at, elevator leading edges. What a job! Just no easy way discovered so far other than perseverance.

Last edited:
Nice work

Really nice work Ed! Congrats! I admire your work (replacement pieces must be hard to get in Zimbabwe)

Last edited:
Ok so with this question it will be obvious that i know very little about the kits but this is why I'm asking.

I am thinking about possibly embarking on this journey maybe this year or next but would like to learn more about the tasks involved. So here is my ignorant question. I notice you have had to do some drilling. Why is that?

I thought the newer kits and one of the benefits of it excluding the RV4 was that all the holes were "matched" for you and done to insure everything is aligned correctly. I think i read somewhere you have gone through some steps a few times with the hingeing having to reorder parts because of misaligned drilling.

Am i incorrect to assume that the new kits are all matched drilled? I had talked to a few builders and they say they are? Why is yours not pre drilled?
Any comments to help educate me? Thanks

Not quite fully matched hole.

Sorry I took so long to reply, too busy building! The kits are mostly matched hole but not entirely. Broadly speaking the parts that are manufactured by Vans from sheet or angle such as skins, ribs and spars, will be match drilled during the manufacture. However some components are simply purchased "off the shelf" and hinge sections are one of those. I'm sure it may be possible to have these items pre drilled but it would add considerably and needlessly to the cost, and the RV's are renowned for being fantastic value kits.

There are other areas and other reasons for not having matched holes. I think that whilst the computer manufactured components can be made to align very well there are variables that mean they won't always align perfectly. In the case of the trim tab the trailing edge bend could vary somewhat and so its probably best to align and drill the parts after the bends are made. There are many areas in the HS centre section where pre drilled holes are not provided, and I think that this is again the reason. The forward spars must be bent slightly by the builder (again, probably saving cost) and therefore most of the centre section is only drilled once all these parts are aligned.

At the end of the day it doesn't quite just bolt together. If it did then it would probably look like it! But RV's don't look like they've been built in a garage, they look professionally built, and that means there is going to be a certain amount of craftsmanship required of the builder. Don't let that worry you though, it is not as hard as it may seem and the parts are very well priced when you do need to have another go. The hinge section I had to replace was $8.50 plus shipping, and that effectively gave me 2 more tries, since you only need half of the hinge.

All the best and please don't let my inability to get a simple job right dissuade you from trying it for yourself, you'll probably nail it first time!

Really nice work Ed! Congrats! I admire your work (replacement pieces must be hard to get in Zimbabwe)
Thanks Garet, you're not wrong about the cost of shipping parts! Fortunately I get to visit the US several times a year for work so I can pick up parts then.

Aviation in Africa

Ed, I spent a couple years in Liberia in happier times and was fortunate enough to visit your country. Import duties doubled the cost of everything shipped from US. Hope your kit is not subject to them. What's GA like in Zimbabwe? Can you cross borders without much paperwork? Would love to explore Africa in an RV.

John

Last edited:
Hey John, GA is pretty strong here, but like most places there is a strong shift towards experimentals and LSA's. You could travel around Southern Africa very easily in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. Zimbabwe still requires all A to B flights to file a flight plan 12 hours in advance which is a PITA, but just requires some planning. Zambia recently banned all Non type certified aircraft, a short sighted move that will hopefully be reversed sooner rather than later! Further North all bets are off.

Thanks for the info Ed. Hope you finish that 7 quickly and that the regs loosen up there before your first flight. I'd think about mounting some really loud air horns on your cowling to scare the giraffes off the runways before trying those bush strips.

Its been too long since the last update, much progress to report!
Firstly the finished left elevator/ trim tab alignment that gave me so much grief
IMG_0595 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0596 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

And finally got to fit control surfaces. This was quite exciting and all went well.

IMG_0599 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Finally I drilled the elevator horns and the empennage was complete:D

Last edited:
And the skeleton comes together permanently

IMG_0677 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Paul helped to buck the rivets, thanks Bud!
IMG_0678 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0681 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0683 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0684 by Ed Fleming, on FlickrAnd what a satisfying moment! These aren't drilled yet. I had to go to work for a couple of weeks and did not want to rush it, so that'll be waiting for me when I get back. Then I need to get the right wing to the same stage.:)

Last edited:
Looking good

Hi Ed,
Looking good.
Will be in Zim in September for our Saints 40th reunion. Planning on catching up with the other RV guys then. Will add you to the list if I may and meet up.
Been too long between drinks at the MFC!
Cheers Rob

Hi Ed,
Looking good.
Will be in Zim in September for our Saints 40th reunion. Planning on catching up with the other RV guys then. Will add you to the list if I may and meet up.
Been too long between drinks at the MFC!
Cheers Rob

Great Rob, look me up when you're here, I'm always up for a beer at MFC!

And on to the tank

IMG_0708 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0710 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

The well known "Checkoway method" of drilling the rear baffle. This shows the five holes that can be reached on the inboard Bracket. Used a 12 inch bit to drill these.
IMG_0711 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

And here's the access to the outboard bracket. Yes the 12 inch bit got away from me a as I withdrew it. Looks worse than it is.
IMG_0712 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
And this is after removing the skin and ribs and drilling the remaining brackets.
Very easy and accurate method.

Last edited:
More tank stuff

IMG_0808 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0809 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0810 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0725 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0811 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This is where the sender will mount in the left tank, through the rear baffle and into the second tank bay. I used the spare cover plate and match drilled it to the rear baffle before using my band saw to cut out the stiffener ring. Although I match drilled it to the outside, I will mount it inside, with dimples in the baffle and countersinks in the stiffener as per the ribs.

Last edited:
More tanks...

IMG_0752 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0752 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Tank riveting! Me on the left and my buddy Paul on the right bucking. We look like surgeons in our donated work shirts! anything to keep proseal from where it doesn't belong.

We found it easiest to rivet from the inboard rib out, always removing the next rib outboard to improve bucking access. The worst part about these tank sessions is they are long. From starting to clean the parts with MEK until the last tool is cleaned can be 4-5 hours.:(

IMG_0757 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

First flares.

IMG_0760 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

For a change of pace, riveting nut plates with Nas 1097 rivets for the first time.

IMG_0762 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Riveting inboard ribs.

Last edited:
Closing the tanks

IMG_0766 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0769 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This is where the sender will mount.

IMG_0775 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Beads applied. I didn't fancy spooning proseal into freezer bags so we used George Orndorffs method of beading up the proseal with a notched popsicle stick. Seemed to work fine.

IMG_0777 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

And its on! we nicknamed this assembly the porcupine!

IMG_0780 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Neat Fillet. That CAN'T leak!:p

Last edited:
Last tank day

IMG_0786 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0789 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This is anti hangup mark 2, and I'm much happier with it.

IMG_0796 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

At this point, ready to fit the second rear baffle, I was completely out of Proseal. I actually ran out of the Black catalyst first. However after buttering everything up I realised I had just enough mixed sealant to put on the access covers and senders, so we went ahead and did that too. It was a Looong session but I definitely did not want to wait for more sealant!

IMG_0803 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

A few days later the leak tests passed!:D

Last edited:
Nice work, Ed! You're doing a very thorough and neat job. I went the QB route, so I hope those crafty Filipinos were on their game that week.

Thanks Doug. I'll be thinking of you and other quick builders every time I open my deluxe fuel caps :D no doubt you will Spare me a thought still building when you set out on that first cross country.

Seriously, all the best with your build
IMG_0799 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Last edited:
Leading edges

IMG_0818 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Right wing completely naked for the last time. Countersinking the spars was not nearly as bad as I thought it might be.

IMG_0816 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Finally got a TV in the garage, just in time for the Ashes!

IMG_0819 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Right wing Outboard leading edge is on. Managed all solid rivets without too much trouble, finally seemed to make friends with the double offset :D
IMG_0820 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Unfortunately the join with the tank is not perfect. I may shim this.

Last edited:
Main Top skins

I prepped all of the main skins, edges and holes. Bottom skins were then stored away un dimpled. I went back to the system of removing strips of the blue vinyl. I had stopped doing this on the elevators and tanks since it took so much time and I intend to paint fully. However the scratching I got from the dimple die and also back riveting plate were just unacceptable. I know they will all be scuffed and painted eventually but I do want to build something that looks nice right now!

IMG_0817 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Here's the scarf joint. May have been able to get it a bit thinner but I was starting to get worried about accidentally bending a corner, so decided this is good enough. Should look ok, we shall see when its riveted.

IMG_0826 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Wing walk dimples. Over done if anything.

IMG_0822 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Started skin riveting on the right wing. I'm trying out back riveting using the 12 inch straight back rivet set from Cleaveland tool along with their back riveting bucking bar. My wife picked up the bucking instantly, its very easy, and the results are indeed very nice. Also impressed with the skin-tank joint. When it is just cleco'd it doesn't look great but the final product is great.

IMG_0823 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

And this is from the inside. One or two of these shop heads are a little bit off centre but its a learning process. I found my 3x gun with a fairly high pressure, and give it a good hit to start with. I think this is going to work.

IMG_0832 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

And the right wing is catching up!

Last edited:
More skin riveting.

Its been way too long since my last update, but there is plenty to report. First up, the rest of the skin riveting.

IMG_0850 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Right wing all done and ready for squeezing along the rear spar. We persevered and back riveted all the rivets on this wing, but had to replace far too many rivets.

IMG_0850 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Another view.

IMG_0852 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

When we got to the left wing we tried regular shooting and bucking for the first rib. It was so easy before we knew it we had slammed out almost the whole wing in a morning. I don't have a great comparison picture, but I really can't see a difference in the exterior surface quality. I so wanted back riveting to work out but in the end it was a waste of time.

IMG_0855 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0855 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Finally got the wings out of the stands!

Last edited:
IMG_0869 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Wing stands and one leading edge cradle were recycled.

IMG_0841 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

Standard pitot installation. This is the stainless steel tube sold extra by vans.

IMG_0840 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

This is the new stall warning access cover I fabricated. I don't have a picture, but the original had an ugly gap all around. This is much nicer.

Last edited:
Back