What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Under the surgeon's knife tomorrow.

I am assuming that they deburred and primed before installation, correct Pierre?! ;)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Welcome back

Glad to hear you are back, Pierre. I was thinking about you this morning when I logged on.

A doc friend told me that the difference between major surgery and minor surgery?...

It's major when it's happening to YOU!

Here's hoping for a quick and successful recovery. I had both shoulders "deburred and primed" about 4 years ago and it really helped.

Hi

I'm amazed at medical technology these days. Going home in a couple hours.
Typing on an iPad...sucks.

Bye all,

Best,

Haha

I know how you feel. Just take your meds on schedule and follow doctors orders. You'll be back in the saddle in no time. Don't get behind on the pain meds. Ask me how I know :(

RE: Pierre's shoulder

Pierre
Glad to hear you are doing well. Since I'm an orthopaedic surgery nurse I have helped with many shoulder replacement surgeries. I know that they hurt and wish you all the best. Rehab works if you do your part. One of my Docs has a saying "No pain no gain" in regards to rehab. The corollary is if you don't use it you'll lose it.

Allan,
I take issue with your post. Hospital are not dangerous and we don't kill people. I would think you were trying to be cynical but i'm not sure. We are health care professionals and our only concern is the best outcome for our patients. Shame on you.

Timothy W. Pethel

Get well quickly Pierre. Been thinkng about you, having been through bilateral shoulder "fillet fairing" (labrum) depot level maintenance. Not nearly what you've been through, but you'll be flapping the wings in no time. It won't seem like it at first, but it'll loosen up, and you'll be better 'n new! Three key words to recovery...

Cute. Physical. Therapist. :D

Cheers,
Bob

Fun

My late Dad always used to point out that something good always comes from a bad situation...it's true....Jenny and I got"close" getting me dressed this morning:)....oh, and try left clicking with your left hand:mad: buttoning your shirt with your left hand...on and on..Absolutely loved my nurses and doctors...it was really fun...lotsa humor.."you wanna sit in my lap and fly?":) Here's my cell #:)

Best,

oh, try "shift" and a capital letter with your left hand...at the same time.

Certified Parts

Wishing Pierre a speedy recovery. However, watch out for comments about certified parts. Last Monday I went in for a Left Hip replacement and got asked by the surgeon if I wanted to go "Experimental".....that sure drew my
attention. Seems the prosthesis company have a new model 3/4" shorter
and more aerodynamic, and they needed 130 patients for trials for
certification. The only down side was the op. would be 10 minutes longer and
they would implant 10 small titanium balls in the bone around the joint
as reference markers to check future movement over time.
Rehab is going well, but I keep thinking that next time I fly commercial and
have to be screened and they ask the question "Any metal parts on your body?" ... I can truthfully answer " Yes sir, I have titanium balls!!!"
Responses should be interesting.....
Gotta love flying "Experimental"!

Wild...

It was like a machine shop in OR. Manufacturer's rep for the joint in attendance, all sterile and scrubbed up, helping index the ball and socket, trial fitting different sized ball/sockets and final taper reaming my receptive femur....amazing technology.

Best,

Sounds like you were awake through the procedure.
Or are they now making videos so you can watch on tape delay?

Great to see you back and in recovery phase. Is that Phase I ? :D

Happy to hear that all went well!

Sounds like you were awake through the procedure.
Or are they now making videos so you can watch on tape delay?

Philip, another of my crop-duster buddies was visiting on Thursday when the junior doctor came in, and both of us being mechanically inclined, quizzed him extensively and he was an open book.

He mentioned final taper-reaming to fit the pin. No, it was not a Morse taper, we asked....but the hip joints are Morse :)

Best,

It was like a machine shop in OR. Manufacturer's rep for the joint in attendance, all sterile and scrubbed up, helping index the ball and socket, trial fitting different sized ball/sockets and final taper reaming my receptive femur....amazing technology.

Which manufacturer was it, by chance? My brother used to be the manufacturer's tech rep for shoulder replacements for a while; he's not doing it any more but it might have been one of his in-laws...

Had my left shoulder ball replaced in 2005 while building the RV-10. Know how you feel. Old football injuries come back on you 40 years later.

I survived but the shoulder was junk. Took an hour longer to remove fragments of bone on the ball that caused limited outward motion. (Right aileron).

still groggy....later...and thank all of you,

Best,

My late Dad always used to point out that something good always comes from a bad situation...it's true....Jenny and I got"close" getting me dressed this morning:)....oh, and try left clicking with your left hand:mad: buttoning your shirt with your left hand...on and on..Absolutely loved my nurses and doctors...it was really fun...lotsa humor.."you wanna sit in my lap and fly?":) Here's my cell #:)

Best,

oh, try "shift" and a capital letter with your left hand...at the same time.

Glad you're doing well enough to complain! That's a good sign.

I had a shoulder repair about 5 years ago. My biggest difficulties were in the loo, as they say. Oh, and tying shoes.

Best,

I'm sure you helped!

Great progress.

Vic ,it's amazing...7 days and now ZERO pain!

Had my first rehab today and the range of motion is rather limited but the cute little therapist insists that will all improve quickly.

Best,

I used to work for a seller of Zimmer joints. We ALWAYS had a sales rep in the OR, for a couple of reasons. They almost never ordered the correct size, so we could sub with the correct one, and Orthopedic Surgeons in general have the mechanical skills of a - well lets say they had NONE. The sales reps got very good at doing the fitting, and usually actually did the mechanical activity.

Best,

Vic ,it's amazing...7 days and now ZERO pain!

Had my first rehab today and the range of motion is rather limited but the cute little therapist insists that will all improve quickly.

Best,

Depending on how cute she is, it may take a little longer... ;)

Back