What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bob Axsom, Gone West, 29 October, 2013

Very sad news indeed. I communicated with Bob electronically several times, but I'm very sorry I've missed any chance to meet him in person.

God Speed Bob.

I had the fortune to share a few racing events with Bob Axsom over a number of seasons. He was always the best prepared, always a gentleman and a good friend. We shared ideas, and if he found something in print that he thought I might find interesting he would drop it in the mail for me. What a guy!
Almost all of our conversations ended with the topic, "how can we encourage more RV owners to try a race?"
At times like this everyone wonders if there is something that they could do. I would suggest that the best thing you could do in Bob's memory, is to enter a SARL race. He was the heart and soul of SARL racing and will be missed.

I'm really saddened to hear this news. Bob was, through his writings, a great teacher and mentor to many of us who read his posts with relish. His gift of sharing his methodology, tenacity and generosity were great examples and I will try even harder to honor his gift by emulaing it.

Sad news, but happy for Bob

It is sad new but I am happy that Bob is at a better place with his wife.
Thanks Bob for the synthetic vision, I can't imagine how many lives it has already saved.

Sad

Sad for our loss and for his family left behind. I enjoyed his posts, and like Bob C said, his love for his wife was something very special.

Glad they are together again. Godspeed. Peace.

Sad news in NW Arkansas

I am shocked to hear this news. I have a hanger down the ramp from Bob and he was one of the first RV'ers I met after buying my plane. He kept after me about coming with him on some races and I kept thinking someday when I feel more comfortable with the plane, my skills, more time, whatever.

Some day we run out of "somedays".

The tears I shed on the ramp at DEN last night (where I heard from Mike T), have been replaced by smiles this morning in ONT (near where Bob worked at JPL) at the outpouring of feelings here and in SARL for Bob. He was a special guy, in many ways. It's heart-warming to see that he touched so many, near and far. And I do believe he sped home to be with Jeanine, and is smiling again too!

We shared many ideas (mostly his), several races, and a cockpit once. I told him that he was an inspiration as a racer, but that his devotion as a husband was the most incredible part of his being...and that his fortune of finding a love like Jeanine was truly special!

Bob was having such a phenom year of racing...he was locked in gentlemanly combat with Jeff Barnes, racing neck and neck throughout the year, the two outdistancing the rest of the field in the national points race by nearly 1000 points. A year for the record books, which Bob kept meticulously for the league. Though I'm a bit sad that did not play out to the finish this year, I also look at Bob's departure West as a shining star, ever on the upward path, and ever accelerating!

Bob's race number 71 will be retired by SARL this year, during his induction into the SARL Hall of Fame. That will take place in Taylor, TX (T74) on November 9th, following the Rocket 100 race, where Bob will be honored. More details will follow as Mike puts it together.

Tailwinds Bob...I miss you!

Bob Axsom
Husband
Air Racer
Experimenter
Friend

Photo from the SARL homepage today
image.jpg

I second Tom Martin's suggestion. You can pay homage to Bob Axsom by joining us in his second greatest passion, cross country Air Racing. There are 2 races left: this weekend the Thunderbird Air Race - Wickenberg AZ, and Nov 9, the Rocket 100 at Taylor TX. This is also our annual award ceremony, where Bob Axsom will be entered into the Sport Air Race Hall of Fame. See sportairrace.org for more info...

Very sad to hear this, I had emailed Bob a few times and he had given me lots of tips and advice. I didn't know him personally but from the help and documents he shared he seemed like an awesome guy! RIP and Tail winds my friend!

The Way...

I enjoyed "sparring" with Bob via email many times over the past few years discussing various techniques for improving aerodynamics and going faster, efficiently. I really spun him up with my "no substitute for HP" quote concerning making A-model "training-wheel" RV's go faster. He countered with: "Come Race me!"

After his wife passed I reminded him that all of us need to consider our short time here on Earth and to have our "personal map databases" current for the route home. Database you ask?
It's in THE document that needs no revision :)

Via, Veritas, Vita sir...
Smokey

Last edited:
Wow ... that is a surprise. I really enjoyed Bob's posts and his methodical approach to achieving the fastest aeroplane he could. I will certainly miss his contributions. How amazing it is that this hobby and this website can bring together people who have never met, and who live thousands of miles apart, to share a common interest.

Pete

Bob

Thanks Bob for all the great posts if I get the chance to race SARL one day it will be from the spark you started .
Bob

I'm Shocked.

Was looking forward to meet Bob at Wickenburg this weekend.

Will take up the suggestion and fly my 6A in the race- For Bob...

Will raise the glass of "Weed"!

Bob

An Engineer. An Adventurer. A Writer. You will be missed.

Bob posted multiple articles about space here I loved reading them. His former coworkers at JPL were forwarding them to Bob and he shared with us. Bob was an Engineer with capital "E" I incorporated several of his ideas on my RV everything works at almost 1K hours. Thank you Bob.

Bob was avid traveler not your regular tourist. I remember he shared his experience when he went to Russia during his Trafalgar Tour years ago. They had a situation when Bob has to go to a hospital. Right off the tour bus. His account of the adventure was filled with deep respect, compassion and unique experience. I was touched not many visitors could say that. We exchanged many emails. Thank you Bob.

Bob sent me a printed article he wrote three years ago. Nice piece of journalism with his pictures. At that time I knew an editor-in-chief of an aviation magazine I wanted to translate Bob's article in Russian and publish it. Then I moved, the print got misplaced and couldn't be found then the magazine changed ownership. Oh well Bob not everything is going as we planned. Thank you Sir for your contribution happy journey to Sky Squadron.

A true teacher

Bob Axsom greeted me at Grimes Field for EAA MERFI in Urbana, Ohio this past August. I have been planning a trip report and one of the true highlights was when Bob talked me in to racing my -6 in the SARL MERFI Race later that day.

As soon as I landed for the MERFI event, Richard (SARL event coordinator) approached me with the idea. He turned me over to Bob. I introduced myself and said (with a smile) “OK, Bob if you will tell me everything you know about racing I’ll get in todays race”. And here is the kind of man he was, he said “sit” and we talked racing for a half-hour. I was grateful that Bob took the time out of his “race prep” time to explain the details and nuances to a rookie.

Bob was consumed with racing, as we all know, and the prospect of having another -6 in the field to beat encouraged him. :D

I had looked forward to seeing Bob at another race in the future.

fc1npe.jpg

Last edited:
Bob was a great sportsman.
Thanks for kickin my butt so many times in the SARL.

God Speed and if that isn't fast enough.

Modify it.

This is such sad news indeed.

Rest in peace and Godspeed Bob.

I'm really wishing now that I would've been able to have raced my RV-6 in the Airventure Cup race like you urged me to in the PM you sent me.

Our RV world will now have an unfillable empty spot in it now.

I talked with Bob and discussed air racing techniques and mods several times at the air races over the last couple years. He always had some new thing he was trying out on his plane which he spent 4 days modifying. This was a weekly thing for him. He also shared some interesting data about altitudes, winds, and technique via email. Bob was an absolute fanatic about drag and air racing technique. He was thinking on a much higher level than most of us, who were thinking full throttle, yank left and up, and run like **** hope we win. He could see the airflow out to bottom of the cowling and the interference drag from the exhaust, and fixing articulating flush NACA scoop plugs for the fresh air vents. Nothing escaped his total focus on drag reduction.

But the same or more important than that he would always take the time to just talk and catch up. I heard him described as a loner but I didnt find him to be that way at all. I last saw him at the Jasper air race last week. We talked a good ten minutes. He looked a bit tired, but he was up all night putting a fixed pitch prop on his RV-6A, and made it in time to get the race. I think he busted his record again, by 2 MPH.

There is no finer and more dedicated air racer than Bob Axsom. But just as notable, or moreso, he was a fine man and a great friend. The kind who would stay late and help you to get your plane home, whatever you needed. You will be sorely missed, Bob. Tailwinds and blue skies forever, friend.

Year of Bob's West Texas writeup

I'm not sure what year it was written, but I would guess this is the first race after Jeanine passed.

That race was in 2010 and my first. That is the report I was referring to in post #30 of this thread. Thanks for finding it and sharing.

Exactly one week before he passed, Bob wrote a raw and heartbreaking reply to my post "Re-birthday flight". He finished with these words:

"It doesn't get any worse than to have someone die that you feel is perfect and is very dear to you. Live a good new life Gerry.

Bob Axsom"

I'll do my best, Bob, and although you may not have been perfect, I think many on this forum know exactly what you meant right now.

Found this online bio:

Biography

Robert Wayne Axsom, 77 of Farmington, AR. passed away on October 29, 2013 in his home. Bob, had served with the US Air Force in the Korean War in 1956. After his military service he began a life long career in the aeronautical and aerospace industry. Bob earned several bachelor degrees and served as Quality Assurance Manager on some of the most ambitious aerospace projects including the Genesis Project. He was an accomplished air racing pilot competing all across the country in an airplane that he had built with his wife Jeanine.
Bob was pre-deceased by his parents Paul and Ethel, his brother Drex, and his wife Jeanine.
He is survived by two sons, Don and Tony, and his daughter, Laural.
Graveside services will be held 10:00 AM, Friday November 1st at Fairview Memorial Gardens in Fayetteville.
To sign the online guest book please visit www.nelsonberna.com

Graveside Service

Friday November 1, 2013, 10:00 AM at Fairview Memorial Gardens

I never talked directly to Bob in any fashion but I really enjoyed his posts. It was obvious he was an engineer in the highest meaning of the word. Applying theory with the best of them he was a true engineer in that he didn't hang his hat on theory but the empirical evidence that well instrumented and documented results provide.

But perhaps the best tribute to the man was his fearless exposition of his devotion to his wife; his unselfish sharing of his passion and knowledge of flying; and his modesty and humility.

I am poorer for not making the effort to get to know him personally. That is a lesson I need to learn. The time is always shorter than we think.

I have yet to read through all of these posts about Bob. However....

While I never met him, I always read his posts and learned something from each and every one of them. He was one of the great guys in our hobby!

What I do vividly remember from reading his posts over the years, was his immense love for his wife. He lost her awhile back, and now he is with her in eternity. Now that is awesome!

I hope to meet them both one day. Tailwinds, Mr. Axsom.

I literally felt myself sinking when I saw the headline, while skimming the "Old News" on the VAF homepage.

Rest In Peace, sir.

This past weekend, Jeff Barnes and I carried Bob's soon-to-be-retired race number (71) with us during the race. We'll do it again next weekend (11/9) at the final race of the year in Taylor, TX (T74), where Bob will be honored. Would love to see folks join us for the celebration. Come race or come watch...and raise a toast to Bob.

The race brief is 1400, race start is 1500, and from the SARL race info page:

Awards and dinner after the race, with end of year awards, Presentation of 2013 Champions and Bob Axsom's induction into the Sport Air Racing Hall of Fame.
Also the opening of a keg of Race Pace beer, brewed for the occasion by Alan Hunter.

image.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

This is sad to hear. Bob was incredible with his quest to make his plane faster. Fortunately I got to meet him and Jeanine in Memphis when I did my first and only race several years ago.

He will be missed.

You are Missed Bob Axsome

Been away from VAF for a long while, and I was looking forward to seeing Bob "Awesome's" latest speed mod update...

Hans

I just saw that Bob's plane is for sale. Didn't realize that he had passed away. I have printed off every speed mod post he made here.

People looking for Info on Bob Axsoms RV-6A. It is listed elsewhere as the family does not visit VAF.

Back