What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 transition training notice..

pierre smith

Well Known Member
While communicating with an ASI (Aviation Safety Inspector) in Washington, D.C. yesterday, I discovered that he owns an RV-6 and reads these forums!!

We were discussing the issuance of a LODA for me to conduct -10 training and he pointed me to the appropriate reg which I don't recall but during the conversation, he pointed out that we can't include a high-performance endorsement in the log book entry for the trainee...by that regulation.

The -10 obviously qualifies as a high-performance airplane by their definition because it has more than 200 HP. The high-performance endorsement has to be done in a certified airplane, OR YOUR OWN _10., not in mine or any other -10 that you pay to learn in from a transition training instructor.

I don't really understand why that is, but it is what it is!.

Best,

That is correct Pierre. My letter makes it clear that I cannot charge for the use of my airplane to give High Performance endorsements, Flight Reviews, Instrument Proficiency checks, etc. In short, if a pilot can get the endorsement in a TC'd airplane, the FAA won't allow me to charge for the use of my airplane to do it. Only RV-10 Transition Training is allowed.

EAA was much better

when the FAA allowed them to authorize the waiver a few years ago. Charging only for transition training as stipulated in the regs will make it difficult for most instructors to earn enough money to pay for the increased costs of maintenance and insurance. The FAA encourages folks to get transition training but ties the hands of those that can offer the training...doesn't make sense.

Bill Gill, CFII
RV-7 N151WP
Lees Summit, MO

Point well taken, Bill...

...but for me it gives a lot of satisfaction to be able to give back to the experimental community and the aviation community that has allowed me to make a pretty decent living all these years, in the ag industry.

No, we'll never make much money, if any, doing transition training.

Best,

Back