What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 wings on RV-7 and RV-7 spar dimensions

Mopar591

Well Known Member
Has anyone adapted -6 wings to a -7 fuselage. Also I would like to know the dimensions for the 7 spar root area.. Height, thickness and how much spar inside fuselage. I know it is not ideal but anything can be done and the -6 and 7- fuselage are almost the same fuselage around the spar area from everything I have seen.

Thanks

Has anyone adapted -6 wings to a -7 fuselage. Also I would like to know the dimensions for the 7 spar root area.. Height, thickness and how much spar inside fuselage. I know it is not ideal but anything can be done and the -6 and 7- fuselage are almost the same fuselage around the spar area from everything I have seen.

Thanks

I'm not sure you've seen enough. The -6 and -7 fuselage differs most significantly around the spar passthrough area based on my experience building a -6A and watching others build their -7/7As.

The -6 and -7 attach their wings very differently - not sure that putting -6 wings on a -7 would be practical or what the advantage would be. You will encounter many conflicts within the basic structure. For example, the flat bottom of the -7 fuselage will not accommodate the -6 wings; the -6 fuselage has an angled bottom which accommodates the wing dihedral of the -6 wings. There are many other issues as well.

6 wing on a 7

The 7 fusalage has a flat bottom, the 6 has a bottom that follows the
the dihedral to the center of the fuselage.
flat bottom vs v. bottom, but if you want to make a new centersection maybe

Tail winds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Another point is that the -6 main spar carry-through depends on the wing spar for strength as the wing spar continues completely through the center section.

If you want a shorter span 7, cut the end bay out. That would be a lot less work than trying to adapt the 6 wing to a 7 which would be very hard to nearly impossible.

Thanks for the reply guys. I didnt realize the -7 belly was that much flatter than the -6.. Obviously I would have to make a -6 center section incorporate into the -7 fuselage to match the spar up.. But if the dihedral is too much for the clearance on the belly of the -7 than I would be a no go

Didn't Van's address the 'hybrid' kit issue when the -7 was first released? Why not call them directly?

Charlie

Back