What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9 to Chicago - July 4, 2012

bsacks05

Well Known Member
My son and I flew to the Chicago on July 4 to visit a buddy from high school whom I hadn't seen in 21 years. We had also never been to Chicago so we were really excited about the trip. Fortunately for us, weather was not a huge factor except for some 100+ temps over most of the US.
We left Perry, Georgia (PXE) and flew to French Lick, Ind. (FRH) for fuel and lunch.
We continued on to Joliet, Ill. (JOT) where we tied down the plane and secured a car.
The next 2.5 days were spent experiencing Chicago with Pat as our tour guide. We had an excellent time!

On the way home on July 7 we stopped in French Lick again then continued home with a tailwind and cooler temps up at 9500 :)

Video shot using a GoPro, stills with iPhone.
GPH: 6.5 approx.
RV HRS: 10.3
GALS. USED: 66 approx.
MPG: 18 approx.

2pyuiyu.jpg

331pnxu.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxcFHqLBUHQ&feature=g-upl
CRUSTY LANGUAGE WARNING FROM 2:50 TO 3:05!

Last edited:
All I know is French Lick is home to the greatest basketball player who ever lived.

But apparently there were sulfur springs there, it was a French trading post and it had a salt lick.

I've heard old Hoosiers say:

" South Bend is in the North; North Vernon is in the South; and Frenck Lick isn't what you think it is......!!" :)

Great trip and video. Chicago is a beautiful city that we always enjoyed.

By the way a visit to West Baden hotel is very worthwhile. French Lick has a lot of history but West Baden building is unique. Call the resort at the airport and they will come pick you up free of charge.

Sweet

Very nice Bruce!

I was in Chicago once during the winter and it felt as if my ear would fall off if I flicked it hard enough.

Good memories for you and Bruce Jr.

Back