What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SS Tie Down Rings from Cleveland

s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
Wondering if anyone has experience using the Cleveland tie down rings as jacking points for use with wing jacks. These look very low drag but wondering about compressive strength for use wtih jacking aircraft.

Thanks
Phelps

rvtr4-large.jpg

Tie Down

I use these on my RV-8A. When I want to jack the aircraft I simply swap out the streamlined tie downs for some Carriage Bolts of the proper size. The heads of the Carriage Bolts nest nicely into the top of the aircraft jack.
That being said (while I haven't yet tried it) The streamlined tie downs look and feel very strong I believe that you could jack the aircraft up using them.

Would think they would be strong enough...

I guess my thinking would be this: If I was confident enough that they would hold my airplane DOWN, very likely they'd be able to hold my airplane UP. :) Not trying to be a smart alec, just saying..... You wouldn't have over a, say 400-450 lbs on each jack point anyway would you?? Seems SS should handle that no problem, even in that low pro shape.

My .02
Gregg

Bogart Jack Extensions

Kevin I picked those up from Cleaveland as well as these extensions from Bogart. The Cleaveland rings fit perfect and will not slide out with weight on them. When I built the jacks I found some vinyl tubing that would slip on over the piston of the jack to ship up the Bogart extensions. The diameter of the extensions is about 1/8 bigger than the jack head. They work great. Picked up the Bogart extensions from Spruce.

FinishKit%20380.jpg

FinishKit%20381.jpg

FinishKit%20382.jpg

FinishKit%20383.jpg

Back