What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 in Switzerland.

islandmonkey

Well Known Member
I was going to build a 3 here in Switzerland and even bought the Emp kit. However I decided to go for a 4 as I was told it could take at least another year to get certification for the 3 in Switzerland as there was not one on record as being built. I feel I made the right decision in the end and I now have the 4 wings complete with the Phlogiston spar sitting in my garage waiting to be inventoried. I was sent this picture of the only 3 ever to be built in Switzerland yesterday it seems that this was not built through the Swiss EAA so there are no records. The Matterhorn is in cloud in the background. I am to far down the road now with the 4 to consider building the 3 now but I will register the 3 project and build the emp kit I have alongside the 4 emp when I get around to it. The 3 will then sit on the back burner. Shame really.

RV-3%252520in%252520Switzerland..jpg

WOW

Punch ahead w/the -4 Tony. You will NOT be sorry when you fly it. OH BOY!! They are nice! I'm still grinning after 18 years of -4s.

But that is a beautiful plane & photo. Just think,you'll have a project when you're through with the 4.

Cheers,

But

Punch ahead w/the -4 Tony. You will NOT be sorry when you fly it. OH BOY!! They are nice! I'm still grinning after 18 years of -4s.

But that is a beautiful plane & photo. Just think,you'll have a project when you're through with the 4.

Cheers,

Thanks Deal, pounding will be commencing very very soon.

From what I have heard and I know there are one or two people on here that will confirm this that the 4 gives everything the 3 does with a little more space, payload and an extra seat. The flying qualities of the 4 are hardly diminished from the 3. I will be beefing up the firewall and I will be fitting larger wheels as per Steve Sampson's mod also, I do like the fastback conversion that AX-O did, with the added benefit of extra speed I will be looking at adding that option provided it does not add to much time to the certification process here in Switzerland.

Cheers Tony.

Last edited:
It must be a SWISS RV-3!

Hello Anthony

It must be a swiss RV-3, because there is no way the BAZL would allow someone to register a non swiss build Experimental RV in switzerland under HB-Y..

It could just be, that it was in the very early days of experimental building and they allowed it.

Did you where in contact with the BAZL (Swiss FAA)? and asking about this HB-YDO?

Regards, Dominik

Hello Anthony

It must be a swiss RV-3, because there is no way the BAZL would allow someone to register a non swiss build Experimental RV in switzerland under HB-Y..

It could just be, that it was in the very early days of experimental building and they allowed it.

Did you where in contact with the BAZL (Swiss FAA)? and asking about this HB-YDO?

Regards, Dominik

From what I have heard Dominik, HB-YDO was sold and exported to France and is now on the French register. I do not know if it is still in airworthy condition. I will be devoting all my efforts now in building the 4 which I think I should maybe have gone for in the first place. I would be further down the road if I had have done but hindsight is a wonderful science. I have not pursued any further with BAZL and the RV-3.

Back