What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

comm antenna on the 8A

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I have read everything I could find here on this topic. There have been several threads. This specific question was not answered in any of the other threads.

This question is specific to the 8A. I am planning to put my two rami bent whip comm antenna just aft of the spare, one on each side, 24 inches apart. At least one other forum member has done the same, although I do not think that he is flying yet so I cannot get a pirep on that installation.

The 8A is different from the 8 in that the gear legs would be closer to the antenna on the 8A. I read that the antenna should not be within 2 feet of things like gear legs.

Is anyone flying with an 8A that has the antenna just aft of the spare and 24 inches apart? Anyone flying any RV with the bent whips 24 inches or less apart? If so, how is that working for you?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not that a 7A is the same as the 8A (fuselage length is the same I think) but I mounted one straight comm antenna just aft of the spar (amost centered), then the Xpdr antenna about 2ft aft of that, then a bent whip about 2 ft aft of that. This setup has worked perfect for years. The straight antenna outperforms the bent whip (and has plenty of grd clearance up front) so it runs as comm 1.

I have a single bent whip pretty far outboard and just aft of the spar. It is slightly aft of the passenger footwell. My transponder antenna is about 24" away on the opposite side of the fuse. I have no real issues and none whatsoever in the air.

2 Times in 3 years, I have been unable to hear ground when at the opposite side of the airport with the flaps down. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the antenna placement.

Guy

Thanks

Thanks guys for all your inputs.

Jeff, since we seem to be on the same antenna plan, I am curious as to where you installed your transponder antenna.

Back