What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass empenage fairing question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am fitting this piece and am thinking it is to thin to countersink enough for the screws to be good and flush. I am thinking about building up the thickness with some more glass layers. Should I do this or just countersink away and not worry about the thickness?

I built mine up a little, but mostly just eliminated most of the screws

RV-7build1003.jpg

DAM!!

I'm so envious. I'll never get mine to look that good. Sheesh, thats great looking!

Same Issue

I ran into the same problem. Instead of countersinking I used truss head stainless steel screws.
I polished them on the buffing wheel until they looked chrome plated.
It give a different but good look.

I started with a Vans fairing, I think it came with the finish kit. Out of the box, it actually fit ok and would have only needed a little work to finish.....But I wanted to eliminate some of the screws and also added a strip to wrap under the HS. I would guess the mods added 5hrs to the build.

RV-7build823.jpg

Also, anyone can achieve this fit and finish. I'm no wizard, just a hick from Montana. It takes a little time and patience....oh and a good friend who knows shoot paint.

I started with a Vans fairing, I think it came with the finish kit. Out of the box, it actually fit ok and would have only needed a little work to finish.....But I wanted to eliminate some of the screws and also added a strip to wrap under the HS. I would guess the mods added 5hrs to the build.

RV-7build823.jpg

Also, anyone can achieve this fit and finish. I'm no wizard, just a hick from Montana. It takes a little time and patience....oh and a good friend who knows shoot paint.

Very slick :)
Jim Sharkey

Back