What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass snorkel fit TMXIO 360

EWH22

I have a TMX IO 360 and the fiberglass snorkel that curves up to draw air from the bottom left front baffle floor. In fitting the snorkel the alternator bracket interferes. Looks like I will have to flaten snorkel in this area. Has any one else experienced this or am I on the wrong track.
ED

Yes

I have a TMX IO 360 and the fiberglass snorkel that curves up to draw air from the bottom left front baffle floor. In fitting the snorkel the alternator bracket interferes. Looks like I will have to flaten snorkel in this area. Has any one else experienced this or am I on the wrong track.
ED

I cut an hole and redid the fiberglass to lower it. The area you have to cut is pretty good size. Don't get cute like I did and turn it upside down to harden. Darn thing sagged wrong way. Also, when I put it on, the darn bracket still barely touched it. I then ground off about 1/8" of the bracket and had clearance.

Me Too!

I think everybody has problems with the alternator bracket. There was a post not to long ago about heating the glass and using a cylinder to make a depression. I tried that but couldn't get enough movement to get the clearance required. Like Webb, I wound up cutting it and doing a concave layup there. I also had to trim a bit more of the alternator bracket. I had to cut and glass another place on the FAB to get clearance for my starter solenoid.

Cut It

Yes, I had the same problem with my RV8A. I had to cut it and reglass in the area after I made certain that I had enough clearance.

I took the alternator bracket off and re-drilled mounting holes so that the bracket was further away from the centreline, therefore the alternator moved away from the snorkle and did not require altering.:)

Back