What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heat in the cockpit

N29945

My recently acquired RV6A has a slider canopy, since it does not have any protection for the fellow operating it, in the soon to be smoken hot Texas summer, what are my best options for the comfort of myself and my passenger?other than takeoff at 5AM and land by 7.......
Also what systems have you used that have not worked well or at all.
Jim Skinner
RV6A
EXEMPT, but gladly contribute because of the wealth of knowledge I receive for free.
Thanks for your willingness to share your experience, it helps me make informed decisions.

Rosen

I used two of the Rosen suction cup sun screens from ACS in the -7. Not cheap but only ones that lasted when the cheap automotive/child sun screens and stick on film failed. Kept my wife happy for years and gave one to my daughter to use in her car for her kids which she still uses.

Last edited:
Firewall and Floor insulation - fire rated! Keeping engine and exhaust heat out is part of the solution.

Vents!!!

Make sure u have a vent on each side. Vic’s latest YouTube video shows a 9 recently purchased that he has in for maintenance that the original builder OMITTED the side vents. Definitely HOT in that one.

Another vote for a Kroger sun shade. Best addition ever for the Texas heat. Also, pick up some cling tint from walmart or the autoparts store. Cut out some squares and stick wherever needed.

Kroger Shade is a must and worth every penny. I picked up 2 squares of static window tint from Sporty's, they work great to add some additional blocked light protection and can be moved around the cockpit as needed to cover any direct sun that creeps in during sunrise and sunset. The tint also works well above the shade and allows the shade to be pulled open and the view to be enjoyed without the direct sun heat.

Back