What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

air filter assembly alignment help needed

dwranda

Well Known Member
I'm using the James MK234 filter assembly. When I line up the front hole perfectly with the cowl the rear hole going into the fuel injector is a bit off. It covers up some of the hole on the injector. What should the remedy be? Is it Ok to have a small portion of that hole covered or will the engine not run perfectly? I can do some fiberglass work to adjust the hole in the transit duct so there is not any part of the hole covered. Thoughts??
20220306-112328.jpg

20220306-112303.jpg

20220306-112357.jpg

The short answer is no, do not have the intake partially blocked.

After reading the nice work done by Dan Horton on air filter boxes, I’m not a fan of conical filters. But to make this work I suggest three options:
- Open up the backplate and mounting holes to do the fit up. After that add a ~0.032” backing plate between the throttle body and the airfilter. The holes in this backing plate will be an exact match to the throttle body.
- Bolt up the filter backplate to properly fit the throttle body. Do the glass work on the front end of the filter box to correct the offset.
- If you have enough on the forward end of filter box that can be cut off, do that and then use a SCAT hose to connect the box to the cowl engine air inlet.

Side note - do not use a spring on the alternate air door. It will end up in the engine. Rig a manual cable.
Carl

After reading the nice work done by Dan Horton on air filter boxes, I’m not a fan of conical filters. But to make this work I suggest three options:
- Open up the backplate and mounting holes to do the fit up. After that add a ~0.032” backing plate between the throttle body and the airfilter. The holes in this backing plate will be an exact match to the throttle body.
- Bolt up the filter backplate to properly fit the throttle body. Do the glass work on the front end of the filter box to correct the offset.
- If you have enough on the forward end of filter box that can be cut off, do that and then use a SCAT hose to connect the box to the cowl engine air inlet.

Side note - do not use a spring on the alternate air door. It will end up in the engine. Rig a manual cable.
Carl

Thanks Carl,
Yeah the fiberglass work or the scat tube on the front end may be quicker and easier. I put the spring on the door because that is what the instructions said to do. They called for a spring and a cable.

After reading the nice work done by Dan Horton on air filter boxes, I’m not a fan of conical filters. Carl

I have this inlet and filter. My filter delta-p was measured out of the conical filter fear and it proved to be no factor. It is
very low, I have a post out there somewhere with the actual number. Not as low as the flat element but very close.

Good to see you moving along Dave, like Carl said, just make the hole fit where all matches to the cowling. I put an external spring to hold the door closed. I have a linkage to make the cable run easier, but door would vibrate open, so changed to a locking cable pull.

The fiberglass cone holds the filter in place, so be careful if only using the cone to match the cowl. I would just open the hole.

Last edited:
Back