What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Left Throttle for RV7 Left Seat

SG777

I'm New Here
Would like to configure my RV7 with a second throttle on the left side. Pictures and recommendations appreciated. Best, Shawn

Throttle quadrant

Shawn,

Our RV7 has a left side quadrant. As a couple of ex-Air Force pilots, my son and I really like it. We previously owned an 8 and, of course, it had the same. In addition to just feeling right, it really opens up the space between the bottom of the panel and the floor. I've yet to figure out how to post photos here but if you would pm me your email, i can send lots of photos. Our panel is out right now for upgrade so I can send detailed photos if you like.

Rob

Recommend

I recommend against that config. It adds unnecessary complication and time to the build.

If you like flying stick right hand throttle left, just fly the plane from the right seat. Thats what I do.

Shawn,
My -7A has been flying for 6 years with dual throttles with zero issues. Really not much extra work or cost. Hardest part was finding someone to weld an extension piece onto the throttle bracket to mount the end of the second cable. The actual weld took a few minutes. Both cable ends attach to the throttle arm with a longer bolt. I made a triangular panel that attached to the side wall and the bottom of the panel to mount the throttle control in the cockpit. Both throttles move equally when you move either one. Works perfect and allows left hand throttle from either seat or right hand throttle (original mount) from the left seat. PM me for pictures.

Easy Peasy

Shawn, I did this on my 7 and was a simple task. And, flying formation with this configuration is way way natural. Unfortunately, second party picture hosting is difficult to do unless your willing to pay the annual fees - and I am a not. If you want to send me your private email address via a private message through vansairforce, I would be glad to share my pix.
Good Luck

Back