What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wireless headsets

sblack

Well Known Member
Why, in this age of wireless everything else, like tv remotes, computer keybds, mive, printers, etc etc, are will still tangled up in headset wires in the cockpit? The wires are only transmitting voice audio. I think the technology to do that wirelessly has been there, oh, since we had radios in airplanes. Is it just because you would need radio and headset mfgs to get together and agree on how to do it? With my current headset I can bluetooth to my phone, but not to my comm radio. That seems a bit insane when you stop and think about it. Or is it just me?

There was a company about 8 years or so at OSH that sold a bluetooth wireless setup.

Cant remember the name

Seems as though it could be done fairly easy

I am sure it can be done, but the thought of radio and headset manufacturers "getting together" on anything hurts my brain. Garmin, Avidyne, King, Icom, PS Engineering, Dynon, Val, etc getting together sounds impossible. Then add in Bose, Lightspeed, Sennheiser, David Clark, etc to the mix and it becomes more impossible. Jumping out of the left seat and into the right with the same headset, but using different PTT switches, adds to the complication.

I am sure there are ways around all of these things, but probably a wireless headset with a "receiver" that plugs into the jacks is the only reasonably universal way to do this, unless a radio/intercom/audio panel company also starts designing headsets to work with them.

weight

Don't forget comfort depends a lot on weight. A bluetooth module needs a battery. You need power for audio. Add a couple of AA batteries to your headset and see how it feels.

Don't forget comfort depends a lot on weight. A bluetooth module needs a battery. You need power for audio. Add a couple of AA batteries to your headset and see how it feels.

Weight is definitely a concern, however I think we're well past the weight issue with having good micro-electronics and high power density rechargeable batteries. In my day job I am often on the phone 8-12 hours a day. I use a Bluetooth headset called a Blueparrott B250-XT. Its total weight is in the 3-4 ounce range and it has sufficient capacity to last for several days of operation, so likely 30-40 hours of operation, on a single charge.

The weight of the Bluetooth components and the battery to feed them is likely not far off the weight of the mic and phone cords dangling from your typical aviation headset; at this point I'd say the weight issue has become moot.

From a safety perspective, I believe the biggest challenge remains the ability to quickly swap in a replacement battery should the on-board battery become depleted in flight. Any headset without this capacity would be of limited appeal to me, personally.

Don't forget that, on the weight issue, most people will still want good ANR in their headsets. That uses a lot more battery strength and electronic weight than just the Bluetooth.

Sometimes people go too far trying to add technology where it doesn't really add value.

Think about it... The convenience of a bluetooth headset for your cell phone is not having to pull it out of your pocket while you're on the go... At work, out for lunch, driving the car, walking down the street, etc. It's always there, wherever you are.

In an airplane, you're captive... You can't move anyway. It's not like you can get up from your seat and go back to use the loo, and want to still be available on radio.

Bluetooth gets rid of some wires, but then requires you to have charging capability. Which, again, requires a wire, that you just fought to get rid of.

I'm a strong believer that anything you use in an airplane should be powered by the airplane (although possibly with a battery backup, like your EFIS). My tablet plugs in while in flight to maintain charge. ANR Headsets should plug into LEMO jacks so you never have to worry about batteries. Anything that takes AA's or 9V's or whatever means you have to remember to check them, and keep spares around for when you forget. Anything rechargeable means you have to leave it on charge all the time, hope a full charge will last the duration of a day's flying, and be sure to take the charger with you if you are travelling.

Snowflake makes the best points to follow.... when it comes to wires we fly with. I followed the link to the wireless headset product. Interesting technology.... applied. Basically a 2.4 ghz cordless phone transceiver, wired to aviation headsets. BUT, you are sitting still, not walking around the house.
I train helo rescue pilots with a wireless link to their helmets that is made in Canada. Similar spread spectrum low power signal. But, those crews are dangling on a hoist cable or moving around a running helicopter avoiding the tail rotor. Pay attention to how things are powered, as suggested. If you have to rely on batteries for headsets, look into ENELOOP rechargeable AA cells.
They don't self discharge for months.

Last edited:
I agree that there are challenges. but there is nothing insurmountable. One could have an optional charge chord for the longer flights, or multiple packs. Lithium cells have incredible energy density. I think the biggest hurdle is getting headset and radio mfgs to work together.

Come fly the Herk!

Actually it's the guys in the back that are sometimes using wireless sets. They've dragged cords up and over loads, over pax, through dirt and water on the ramp during engine starts, etc. for nearly 55 years. I think our guys have some David Clarks they're using. Not all the time nor all the guys but they're definitely out there.
Patrick

Back