What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Input requested on gps solution...

Johnnybgoode

Well Known Member
Greetings all and thanks in advance for any advice.
I fly a basic -4, VFR only and currently use an old handheld Garmin GPS. Last year, after tumbling my 2nd AI, I installed a D10A.
I'm now looking at options to use the HSI feature and my current GPS unit will not drive it.
I do not need approach plates, maps and many of the other features of the 696/796 lineup, nor do I have the panel space.
That said, which of the smaller units work best to provide this capability and which do you recommend? Garmin 296, 396, 496, others? I've not used these units and would appreciate any input regarding their appropriateness/pros/cons in this role.
Thanks,
Patrick

I have read others on the forum using the x96/x96 Garmin portables to drive their autopilot. Your autopilot documentation would cover how to make the connection.

The x96 Garmins provide XM weather, which you may not want or need. I have a Garmin 496 and looked into XM weather but spent the money (less) on a Stratus II instead.

I have a Garmin 495 driving my D10A and TruTrac Vizion 380 A/P.

Everything works great. The 495 has everything the 496 does except weather.

I have a Stratus for wx, though given my mission it's rarely used. No autopilot though. My real thought is to replace the old GPS with no aviation database with one that has airports. If I could get one to drive the D10A all the better and it looks like any of the Garmin x96 (or perhaps 95) line will meet my need/want.
Thanks guus,
Patrick

FWIW: I currently have a Garmin AERA driving both a D6 and a TRIO Autopilot. Before the AERA I had a G296 and later a G496 driving the D6/Trio combination and they all worked perfectly together.

:cool:

Last edited:
ILFY GPS

Take a look at the ILFY GPS units. They may fit your space requirements. My IFLY 720 works with my Dynon D100 HSI

Last edited:
x96

What I heard is that the 396 and 496 have all the same features and resolution but the 496 has a faster processor.

I think you give up some pages with the 2x and below, and color if (that matters) came along with the 2s.

I currently fly with a 496 that I wire to my GDL-39. I like it because it's "there" in panel view (currently using a suction mount but moving to a Gizmo dock) The iPad gives me all the info and more, using the GDL, but it's on my knee so I get the big picture off the 496 and when I need more detail I look at my leg.

Were it me, I'd say 396 or 496, depending on the eBay day. :)

Back