What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carrying handguns to the Bahamas.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' all. I just saw a post on Facebook that they allow pleasure craft have firearms aboard.

Does anyone know if aircraft passengers have the same authorizations?

Thanks,

What about clearing customs when you come back and land at an airport with a no guns policy?

Bahamas

When I cleared customs at Cat Cay, in 1976, the agent said I should not sail unarmed! I Only had a flar pistol.

What about clearing customs when you come back and land at an airport with a no guns policy?

Is there such a thing? TSA doesn't allow weapons on *commercial* airliners, but this is a private aircraft.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a "no guns policy" (policy?) regarding GA at any airport I know of.

FYI...

Some airport office buildings (my local field, for example) are posted but no restrictions on ramps, that I know of. Compare your state's reciprocity agreement for concealed carry and plan accordingly. Just my opinion, of course...
PB

firearms are allowed on vessels sailed to the bahamas. they must be secured on the vessel while in port. they are not allowed off the boat as handguns and most guns are illegal in the bahamas. This question has been brought up before and the answer I was given was that the government would not object to it but that it is not documented on paper. I would inquire directly with the bahamas customs people for a definite answer.

robert burns
RV-4 N82RB

at least in florida, carry on an airport is illegal.

(12)(a) A license issued under this section does not authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
4. Any courthouse;
5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
6. Any polling place;
7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
11. Any career center;
12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

and from 790.001

(18) ?Sterile area? means the area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property in accordance with federally approved airport security programs.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I have concealed carry

..Compare your state's reciprocity agreement for concealed carry and plan accordingly. Just my opinion, of course...
PB

P.B, I have concealed carry for Georgia and neither Florida or South Carolina reciprocate...don't think the Bahamas would either.

Best,

They do

Is there such a thing? TSA doesn't allow weapons on *commercial* airliners, but this is a private aircraft.

Guns are allowed on commercial airlines. You just have to have it in a gun case, unloaded, in your baggage, not carry-on, and tell them at the ticket counter.

Best,

I wish they would pass a national CCW law and be done with it!

The biggest problem with this is that it would then be under "Federal" control. I don't think we want this! I sure don't.

I like 95% of the Texas CHL rules and I don't think that the federal gooberment would come close.

Commercial Pilots can carry after training

Seems like i recall a program to train commercial pilots in the use of handguns and then one was issued. Not sure if this program is still around. Probably doesn't apply here but just a thought.

Guns are allowed on commercial airlines. You just have to have it in a gun case, unloaded, in your baggage, not carry-on, and tell them at the ticket counter.

Best,

state of georgia web site says that florida does have recip rights with florida

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Yep!

Seems like i recall a program to train commercial pilots in the use of handguns and then one was issued. Not sure if this program is still around. Probably doesn't apply here but just a thought.

I know at least one American Airlines captain that does this.

One restriction is that he must fly domestic to take advantage. It does not allow cockpit carry on international flights.

Best,

This only applies to US domestic flights NOT international flights.

Each country has its own laws and most have extremely strict gun laws especially by foreigners like us. Also, don't apply ship laws to an airplane. One thing might be legal on a boat and be completely illegal on an airplane, like carrying a gun.

My 2cents

:cool:

Last edited:
(18) ?Sterile area? means the area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property in accordance with federally approved airport security programs.

The runway, taxiways, and ramp where my RV would be are not controlled in this manner anywhere I've ever seen. Nor do I want them to be.

yes it is if the airport receives any federal funding. all airports receiving federal money must have a 'Federally approved security program"

Guns out of the country

I have flown commercially to Mexico many time with my guns. It is ok. You just have to declare and lock the case and check the bag.

at least in florida, carry on an airport is illegal.

14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

and from 790.001

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I am not an attorney, but if it is locked in the same type of container required by airlines, it appears to be legal to carry a weapon in your aircraft. I wouldnt wear it on my hip, but I most likely wouldn't need it while on airport property.

Having just gone through training for a SIDA badge at a Florida, they clearly identified the sterile area for the airport. It includes the areas on the ramp around the gates, baggage areas, but not the GA ramps or hanger areas. I have also held SIDA badges in MD and NC. Each airport defines the boundaries for the sterile areas, but it typically doesn't include the GA areas.

keep it quiet

Import guns to Mexico??????? I thought that Marine just got out of the hoosegow, barely.... after a gun incident.
Anyway, off topic.
The issue of a gun in a small plane is almost never talked about.
The FAA and the FBI just don't want the can of worms that the public would create.
It is certainly the case that any Caravan, Helicopter, RV or private 737 could land at any airport completely packed with guns... and break no laws.
Now, unpacking them and letting some official see you... another story completlely.
I dropped a guy off at Sky Harbor in PHX one day with an R44 helo.
You call tower, get permission to land on top of terminal 3 at the heli-pad and go in the stairway door and down to the terminal.
The big ladder on the side of the building leading down to a fully fueled 737 would be inviting to a terrorist.... but not much interest to a transient pilot
It is a very gray area that is best not publicized much as we (private aviators) would not like the result of further restrictions.
CCW notwhithstanding.... just pack discreetly in your plane and keep your mouth closed... IMHO.

Nick,
that last post is one you might consider deleting... it's not exactly public knowledge and probably oughta stay that way...
just saying...
with respect...

DM

Best,

Yes, you're right...I knew this, but was writing quickly, and thinking of carrying in the passenger compartment. Thanks for clarifying that. I should have been more explicit in my statement. :)

yes it is if the airport receives any federal funding. all airports receiving federal money must have a 'Federally approved security program"

I don't think the GA ramp is " controlled by the inspection of persons and property". In 24 years of flying, I've never had someone at an FBO or a GA ramp "inspect" my person (or my passengers) or their property. Nor would I allow them to do so, as they have no authority to do so.

Look, if you're going into a sterile area in a terminal, no you can't just carry your guns onto the airliner. We all know that.

But if you're going to YOUR airplane, provided you follow the laws on concealed carry (don't do it if you don't have a CCW permit; store them properly or what have you, etc.), what would prevent any GA owner from transporting weapons? Is there some law that I can't take hunting rifles with me on MY plane, to go hunting? Or (assuming they're properly stored for transport, just as in the trunk of a car or whatever) handguns? In some states it may not be legal to walk around with a gun (open carry), but if they're properly stored?

After all, it's not like I plan on hijacking my own airplane... :)

I dunno! Unless the Bahamas has changed just recently I know that they have REALLY gotten upset when a shotgun was discovered on a cabin cruiser in the out islands. It was a major ordeal!
Taking one into Mexico is NOT a good idea as that US marine just barely got out of jail down there when he was stopped at the border with a shotgun as I recall. He got caught when he declared it at the border. Of course Mexico is one place where you REALLY need to be able to carry. :eek:

FFDO

Mel,
You're right about air carrier pilots carrying guns. When I retired in 2010 the Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program was alive.
It was nice to be armed on commercial flights. :)

That's not true at all.

I've done plenty of consulting work for small GA airfields which receive federal AIP funding but do not have federally approved (TSA) security programs...nor are they required to.

As for transporting firearms on personal aircraft, it's not prohibited in the US at all even if you do not hold a valid concealed carry permit. The firearm generally must be unloaded, encased, and inaccessible in that situation, aka in "transport mode." Plenty of hunting charters utilize this method, even at airports with federal security programs. This falls under the FSPA.

Concealed carry is a completely different story and depends on state law (or federal law, if you're on an airfield with a federal security program in place). Id tread carefully in that situation.

Last edited:
Mexico Guns

You have to submit paper work to the Mexican government. If you don't you wind up like the marine you mentioned. We have been down there hunting many times with our guns. You have to have them looked at in Mexico going and comming.

You have to submit paper work to the Mexican government. If you don't you wind up like the marine you mentioned. We have been down there hunting many times with our guns. You have to have them looked at in Mexico going and comming.

OK, so a hunting rifle not a HANDGUN which is a big difference. Having worked at several US Embassies (Retired Law Enforcement) I can't tell you the number of "gringos" that have been arrested for bringing a handgun into a foreign country. The last one I dealt with (2010) was a Los Angeles Police Officer with his issued handgun on vacation in El Salvador. He was able to leave the country, but without his handgun which I was able to receive about 1 month later.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back