What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight question

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
I have ForeFlight on both an IPad mini and an IPhone. The iPad version has an Altitude Advisor feature under the flight plan Edit tab on the Maps page. You basically click the flight planned altitude button and a window pops up with all the altitudes and their respective headwind/tailwind components.

My question is: Is this feature available on the IPhone version? I have tried and tried to find it, but no luck so far. I checked the Pilot's Guide, but it seems to be geared toward the IPad version. I use it on the iPad every time to flight plan my cruise altitude.

Thanks!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

I have had the same question, and also read the guide. my conclusion is that it is not available in the iPhone. I usually pick a few airports along the rout and open the winds page for each one. It is a bit of a pain, but works.

Foreflight

Jerry,

Don't know the answer to your question but I never realized this function was available on the IPAD. When I fly cross country in my -4 I take the IPAD mini and have always just found a nearby airport on the map, clicked on it, selected weather, clicked on winds aloft and picked out the appropriate altitude.

Been doing it this way for a year now but this is WAY EASIER, thanks for the tip.

Oly

Jerry,

Don't know the answer to your question but I never realized this function was available on the IPAD. When I fly cross country in my -4 I take the IPAD mini and have always just found a nearby airport on the map, clicked on it, selected weather, clicked on winds aloft and picked out the appropriate altitude.

Been doing it this way for a year now but this is WAY EASIER, thanks for the tip.

Oly

I'm glad I was able to help!

I also emailed ForeFlight and I was surprised with an immediate response. Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Altitude Advisor is an iPad-only feature. You will not be able to access it on the iPhone."
I did tell them I wouldn't mind seeing this feature in a future update to the iPhone app.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

As a fellow 8 owner I couldn't resist Googling images for your tail number. LOVE your paint job! The registration number font is really cool too.

As a fellow 8 owner I couldn't resist Googling images for your tail number. LOVE your paint job! The registration number font is really cool too.

Thank you very much Joe! Yup, it's my pride and joy. I flew it unpainted for almost 5 years. After all the teasing from my "buddies" :), I felt I had to go big. I was going for a unique paint job that is both patriotic and futuristic. I had some help from Scheme Designers.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Folks, he's being humble. That airplane was a Bronze Lindy winner at Oshkosh this year!

(Way to go, Squaz -- I haven't seen it since it was bare aluminum. VERY nice!)

You can see the winds for a specific route and altitude of you manually input them. Go to the route page and enter let's say ( KLCH KMAF 14000ft 290kts )
When it comes up it will load the winds for that specific time.

Hope it helps, I use foreflight for everything and have figured out how to use the iPhone for quick filing and such.

Back