What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Congrats to Doug Reeves!

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
5000 days, 13.69 years, of Vans Air Force...that's something to be proud of, Doug, and we are all grateful and blessed. Here's to another 5000 days (set your iPhone to day 10,000), and many moooore.... :D

+1 on that!

I for one, thank you Doug for your efforts to bring us all together, and in some cases, keep us together.

I have too many toys and with everyone there is a forum, I have sent time on too many of them but always get tired of the political BS.
Doug has done a great job of keeping the topics on things worth wild to read and discuss.
This is the one forum I will never get tired of.

A big thanks to you Doug from me also.
I'll bet Van's is thanking you as well (or at least should be) cause I for one probably would not have taken on this project w/o this site as my pacifier.;)
Good job, good day, and may you have many more!!
Tom

Congratulations

Thanks a million Doug. My build is taking forever and probably wouldn't ever be done without this site, which I visit almost daily. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

In fact Doug got this started in late 1998 when he organized a few interested builders to a meeting at Hicks airfield TX to visit Bob Averys tool company as well as George Orndorff's RV Build Centre where a few of us were banging away building our RV6As and RV4. About mid 1999 a second visit to Hicks was organized with even more interested builders attended and a few of us had our RVs flying and were able to do some passenger flights. At that time there were very few flying RVs even in Texas. Some time after that Doug started this VAF web site when he was working as an IT engineer and a few of us chipped in a few dollars to help get it off the ground.
How time flys!

Happy Christmas to all.

Barry RV6A F-PRVM

Thanks!

Thanks for providing a place for me to waste away some well spent time, if that makes any sense! Your website has and continues to provide me with valuable information for building and operating my RV. Hope to be reading your website for another 5000 days!

Congrats to Doug Reeves

Congratulations Doug!!
I know I have already saved hundreds maybe thousands of dollars because of this site. Keep up the good work and I hope to still be here paying dues and lurking when you reach 10,000!

I can't remember how I first found out about VAF, but I've probably spent as much time on here as I have building. The collective knowledge and experience that's available here has been a huge help for a first-time builder like me. It's also surprising how quickly your mental stage set becomes populated with a large cast of characters who you come to know through their posts. It's been an amazing technical resource and source of entertainment. Thanks Doug.

Congratulations and thanks

Thanks for making this web site, I have learned, shared, and gained tons here. I look forward to Mondays now, even more now that I'm retired. Hope your here for a lot longer, all the best to you and your family in the coming years.

RT

PS, Merry Christmas to everyone.

1999 Hicks-Flyin

I was at that Hicks fly in in 1999. Doug had me give his neighbors wife a ride in my RV6. Her husband later built his RV6 in my hanger, and he bought a lot at Hicks. Now. They are friends and I can see their hanger from mine.
Doug has done a lot of good for our flying hobby over the years. I would not know Rosie and Tupper Gal,, if. It were not for Doug Reeves .

Many Thanks Doug

Last edited:
Thanks, Doug

A special Thank You Doug. Just over four years ago you answered my "Newbie"post with an invitation to Jay Pratt's birthday party and to the true community of Van's aircraft. You, Jay and Roy Geer convinced me that the RV was right for us. Now Marcie (my CP) and I pushing 900 hours in our RV8. It all started with a post on Vans AirForce.

I did not join VAFWWW officially until 2005 but first flew an RV-6A in 2000 when Doug first started this site. I was one of the many people who relied on VAFWWW from 2003 when I started the RV-10 build even though i wasn't an official member. Congrats Doug, you have helped me be a multiple repeat offender or as one of my fellow RV-10 builders said I am a "glutton for punishment"

I was at that Hicks fly in in 1999. Doug had me give his neighbors wife a ride in my RV6. Her husband later built his RV6 in my hanger, and he bought a lot at Hicks. Now. They are friends and I can see their hanger from mine.
Doug has done a lot of good for our flying hobby over the years. I would not know Rosie and Tupper Gal,, if. It were not for Doug Reeves .

Many Thanks Doug

Doug who....????!!!!!???? Thanks so much for the kind words Jay!!!! You are a true friend as is Doug....ALL BECAUSE OF VAF!!!!

I remember meeting you at our first Texas fly-in at Scott's Ranch...then getting the VERY COOL opportunity to fly from Addison, direct Love Field then over the TOP of DFW at 4.5K then descending into Hicks (a two-ship formation flight with Eightball) to pick up my Koger shade that blew out at Scott's and you picked up off the grass runway.

We were ready to fly all the way around the Class B airspace when the lady on Ground freq at Addison asked if I wanted direct...."Can you do that?"....pause...she says, "Yes, I can work wonders!" Texas hospitality at it's best :)

I'd bet money that near half the contacts in my cell phone belong to my VAF family of friends ;) I just added Matt & Debbie Tucciarone (from Virginia) to the list as I just gave my 100th Young Eagle ride to a friend of theirs - Garrett Brooks: Matt found me via VAF!

We look forward to meeting many more of you in the years to come, and fly-in to our skypark home at Rosamond (L00) if you are ever in SoCAL.

Long-live VAF :D Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Gracious Paul

That is true about this RV family. I emailed Paul (a complete stranger) just days before he gave my friend's son the ride of his life. I felt I already knew Paul, just from following his posts here on VAF. Most if not all of us are eager to encourage the nextgen of pilots. I love giving rides myself.

Thanks again for Doug and his keeping this thing going.

Matt
(dues happily paid)

More thanks to add here! A knuckle-head buys an RV in 2007, and finds a site called VAF right away. Well, let's give it a try, even if it does say Air Force in the name :p!

6+ years later, what came from that find? Hmmmm, West Coast Ravens & RV formation friends across the country; SARL & RV racing friends across the country; a hangar full of tools and parts and other man-cave stuff; RV-1...& 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10; a better, stronger and faster airplane that is more fun than should be authorized; and above all, new friends, mentors and flying buds from coast to coast, border to border, and beyond.

Yeah Doug, thanks much! Congrats on the milestone, and Merry Christmas! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Back