What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Virginia one night suggestions??

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Wifes birthday, need a nice one nighter out of town. Ideally a ga friendly airport, close to a nice town with decent hotels/food in the hills, or on a river or ...just somewhere nice to stay over. Anyone able to make a recommendation?

Luray

Last year we stayed at the South Court Inn in Luray (http://www.southcourtinn.com/).

My wife actually chose it because one of the owners is building a Mustang 2 in his barn. His day job is an airline pilot.

Luray Caverns Airport (KLUA) is just west of town. (http://www.luraycavernsairport.com/). Don't know much more about the airport as we were doing a driving vacation with my sister in law and her husband.

There are plenty of places to eat nearby, and the caverns are worth seeing, although when we went the power was lost (and for half the town) when we were halfway through the tour...

Like Rob said, Luray is good- the caverns are great and things are close, although after the caverns there isn't much local. The airport will give you a ride to most things in town.

Charlottesville, VA is also good and with a rental car you have access to Monticello and a couple of other local tourist spots. Good dining around also. The Boars Head Inn and Spa is a good local place to stay for a getaway.

There is also Williamsburg, VA- airport is a cab ride from the town then everything you need is there in walking distance. Colonial Williamsburg has lots to fill a weekend. I often stop here for lunch either on the airport or in town.

Thanks.

Will do some digging. Only time for a short one night trip. We hit Lexington Kentucky a couple weeks ago, that was awesome, amazing fbo (tac air, nicest ever), great city, and great deal on a nice hotel (free shuttle and nice free breakfast) with a great English style pub nearby! Perfect mini trip.

Ideally nice scenery, nice airport, free or cheap transport and a good deal on a decent hotel. Simple and easy. We really enjoy finding new places to stop in at.

Will check out the short list, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Check out the Homestead. Fly into Hot Springs, VA airport. May be a bit pricy but nice, old school resort.

The Greenbrier, perhaps?

Greenbrier Valley Airport (actually in West Virginia, but close and in a beautiful area) with a night at the historic Greenbrier Hotel. Read up on the bunker project there and you might just want to do the tour.
Patrick

WOW

The Homestead and The Greenbriar are amazing...but leaves no $$ for avgas and cocktails. Looked at them but wow, over the top for a quick trip.

Looks like Luray caves and the Stony man mountain hike are the target activities and then a night spent at Eagles Nest W13 or KOKV(winchester) or KSHD (Shenandoah valley) is the plan.

Thanks. The rest are on the to do list when I win Superball. :eek:

Back