What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screw spins in Platenuts

Am trying to remove the factory installed screws from the 716 access ribs but they just spin in place. The heads are not stripped and I can get a good seating with philips screwdrivers. The screws spin with some resistance but do not back out of the holes. Any suggestions how to remove other than drilling out?

Not so far but I'm going to try again with a helper. Maybe we can get a razor blade under the head while turning the screw.

The ribs flex when screwdriver is pushed into the screw head. Without that pushing, the screwdriver slips from the screwhead during turning.

Another idea I'm going to try is pushing on the back of the screw with a pin punch.

Since the screw head isn't countersunk, I also thought of locking vicegrips on the screw head to turn and pull. Not sure if my vicegrips are that precision.

If neither of those ideas work I'll likely try drilling.

Thanks for your suggestion.
.....Victor in Niagara Falls

You can take a small vice-grip and clamp it on the head of the screw to give you some back pressure to back it out. Not fun.

Maybe a careful drop of super glue on head

to attach something you could pull on while turning--you only need a turn or two to lift the head enough to grab with pliers.

Drill a deep hole, use an easy-out so that you can pull while turning. If I could get something on the back side to push on the screw, of course that would be better.

In the future don't assume I know of which I speak

Today, having removed the wing, I was able to view the offending screws from a different angle and caught a glimpse of the edge of a regular nut instead of a platenut. That explains why the screw turned without backing out. With a wrench holding the nuts, the screws turned out without issue. Now I feel kind of silly :eek: Thanks for your suggestions though.

Back