What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedal Retrofit

jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
Has anyone retrofitted the rear-seat rudder pedal kit on their RV-8A.

I was wonder if it is a difficult job? Approximately how much added weight can I expect?

Will this kit work with my already installed in-flight adjustable front rudder pedals?

Any comments and photos are most welcome.

I wish everyone a safe and happy new year!

Last edited:
REar rudder peddles for the RV8A

Yes I just completed the job. and I recommend it . Give me a call if you want some pointers I don't have any pictures. I will post something that describes the job but until then just give me a call.

Dick Johnson
707 456 4403 or 707 367 0891

Last edited:
My experiecnce installing rear rudder peddles RV8-A

Jeff,
I am very satisfied with the rear rudder peddles in the RV8A. I can?t speak for the tail dragger but I believe they would be just as satisfying. There is a difference on how they attached but not that much . The kit for the -A costs a few dollars more.. The time to install them is when you are building because there is limited space to work and when old and stiff it is hard getting in and out of the cockpit in the prone position .

Van?s directions call for rivets and nut plates but the idler bracket attaches to the longeron with four rivets, but unless you have a special rivet gun or squeezer it is impossible. In this place I used four # 8 screws with lock nuts. To install the idler brackets you have to remove the mid cabin cover F8113A left and right.

When you do this job start on the Right side first. The cover support in my aircraft had to be adjusted up about three eights of and inch so the idler bracket would have full range of movement. Once you have that all adjusted then you can move on to the left side.

Now you can see why we did the right first. The left side has a gas line in the way and has to be moved. It doesn?t have to moved much but it may get in the way of the idler arm bracket movement. I had to run a new gas line from the valve to the electric pump.

Once you have the idler arms installed and just be sure they have clear movement and the gas line is out of the way. Put the covers back on hook up the cables and that is about it.

One more thing I did different and that is when van attaches the pushrod to the rod ends he uses 1/8 rivet. I used role pins only because I think they look better.

On plus to the rear peddles is there is a way to attach spring and have a adjustable rudder trim.

Dick

Back