What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Altitude Calibration D-180

jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
Is it possible to calibrate the altitue readout on the Dynon D-180 Flight Deck?

I have a miss match between my backup steam gauge altimeter and the Dynon unit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Is it possible to calibrate the altitue readout on the Dynon D-180 Flight Deck?

I have a miss match between my backup steam gauge altimeter and the Dynon unit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Look for the 'ALTADJ' item in the setup menu.

It is more likely that your steam gauge altimeter is the one that is wrong, so don't be too quick to adjust the Dynon. The only way to know for sure how accurate both altimeters are is to take them both to an approved instrument shop and ask them to check them against their approved pitot-static tester. If need be, they could use the ALTADJ menu to make a small offset to the Dynon indications.

Correct Method for Adjustment

It is more likely that your steam gauge altimeter is the one that is wrong, so don't be too quick to adjust the Dynon. The only way to know for sure how accurate both altimeters are is to take them both to an approved instrument shop and ask them to check them against their approved pitot-static tester. If need be, they could use the ALTADJ menu to make a small offset to the Dynon indications.

Kevin,
When my "steam gauge" altimeter is set to the local baro setting it indicates the field elevation. Will it cause any problems to adjust the Dynon to match?

Kevin,
When my "steam gauge" altimeter is set to the local baro setting it indicates the field elevation. Will it cause any problems to adjust the Dynon to match?
If the error is small, I'd adjust the Dynon to field elevation if you have an up to date altimeter setting. If the error is more than 50 ft, I'd contact Dynon to discuss it with them, as they should have calibrated the altimeter before it left the factory, and perhaps it has had some sort of failure.

Thank you!

Kevin,
I have learned many things from your most excellent website.

Thanks for the help. I hope you are enjoying your beautiful machine.

The other thing is to be sure you are on the spot your field elevation is related to...ours looks flat but it is not, yours may not be either. KMOR is different by 38ft one end vs the other.

Last edited:
Back