What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternative R10 Engine

ajay

Anyone looking at the Continental CD-300 turbocharged Diesel, FADEC controlled burns jet fuel with 300 hp.

Doesn't matter. I've not been tracking things like I was, but I doubt you can buy one.

CD155 DIESEL

Not to derail the discussion...

Apples to Pears comparison.

I saw a current ad for a prop strike 2015 CONTINENTAL CD155 DIESEL
The photos didn't look pretty. Not sure if it speaks to the severity of the prop strike, the fragility of the design, or neither.

Chuck

What’s it cost and weigh?

I’m just curious. It’s the engine on the Diamond DA50RG, something it took them years to decide on.

Here’s the spec sheet

http://www.continental.aero/diesel/engines/cd300.aspx

The performance at altitude is impressive and cruises at 9 Gal/hr, but the dry weight is 584lb ( I assume with all accessories, and also doesn’t include coolant ). Isn’t that 130lb heavier than a similarly equipped IO540?

I’m just curious. It’s the engine on the Diamond DA50RG, something it took them years to decide on.

Here’s the spec sheet

http://www.continental.aero/diesel/engines/cd300.aspx

The performance at altitude is impressive and cruises at 9 Gal/hr, but the dry weight is 584lb ( I assume with all accessories, and also doesn’t include coolant ). Isn’t that 130lb heavier than a similarly equipped IO540?

Yeah it's at least over 100lbs heavier than a 540 - that's a huge problem. I'm betting it's significantly more expensive than a new 540 too.. As a result, I thinking that for most the juice simply wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

Doesn't matter. I've not been tracking things like I was, but I doubt you can buy one.

As Dan said, it doesn't matter. Continental won't sell them to the experimental market. I've been trying for years.

Yeah it's at least over 100lbs heavier than a 540 - that's a huge problem. I'm betting it's significantly more expensive than a new 540 too.. As a result, I thinking that for most the juice simply wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

Rough napkin math here, comparing to a similar gasoline engine like the -540. The diesel is burning 10lbs/hr less fuel (9gal/hr @ 6.7lbs/gal diesel versus 12gal/hr @ 6.0gal/hr gasoline). For an engine that's 100lbs heavier, the flight time for break even payload capacity is 10 hours!

Go ahead---if you can find one. Eat lunch first, 'cause you be doing ALL of your own engineering, and fabricating everything.
So unless you are an excellent welder, fiberglass/carbon fiber guy, aluminum fabricator, and an aeronautical engineer that can figure all of this out-----
you might rethink it. Yep sounds fabulous, but probably not practical.

Tom

Back