What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How smooth does your slider slide?

dreed

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Working on my canopy, and my frame sits beautifully, and slide easily, on the roller when the plexi is off. As soon as I put it on the frame the frame bows out about 1/2-3/4" and slides a lot harder.

Should I tighten the bow up without the glass so it fits better with the glass on?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
dan

It should smooth out over time, within reason. Plexi seems to continue to form to frame over time, perhaps with the natural heat from sitting in the sun. Good luck.

Mine bound badly when the bubble was installed. On investigation, I discovered that the steel fittings holding the rollers were dragging on the canopy rails. I forget how I corrected that, but the canopy rolls very well since I adjusted things.

Thank you! That is my thought/hope. May tweak it a little but is has been a little chilly in Central, OR.

Depends on how u are creating the canopy. Screws or SikaFlex? I used SikaFlex. Compressed the front about 1? and let it dry. The back should be compressed less, say 1/2?. This info posted on previous threads. Mine Slides smoooooothly.

Do you have this article?

https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq/sliding-canopy-installation/

This was the most useful source of info when I did my canopy, written by Scott McDaniels. He suggests bowing the frame in an extra 1/2 inch to compensate. Since you are at a stage where your canopy is fitting without the plexi, you could also measure the exact amount of spread fore and aft and use those numbers.

Unfortunately if you have already drilled then its too late.

When warm; roughly 75-80 degrees; my slider is effortless. When warmer or colder than this, there is some roughness, although it is still easy to move with one hand and little effort.

I also found the Phillips screw heads were digging into the center outboard side of the rails. Pulled the screws and polished on the butter wheel.

As others have said, you'll need to compress the frame during installation. I did the 1/2" and it wasn't quite enough.

I also cut a little piece of UHMW block so the steel fittings that holds the wheels don't rub on the aluminum track. The little pieces of UHMW make sure it slides easily if they are rubbing.

Thanks All- I've already drilled so I am likely SOL. It's not horrible but I wish it was a little smoother. I am sure with some heat it'll loosen up a but. I can still pull it one handed when sitting in the plane and it's been in the 40's here and maybe 65 in the shop.

Thanks again
dan

https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq/sliding-canopy-installation/

This was the most useful source of info when I did my canopy, written by Scott McDaniels. He suggests bowing the frame in an extra 1/2 inch to compensate. Since you are at a stage where your canopy is fitting without the plexi, you could also measure the exact amount of spread fore and aft and use those numbers.

Unfortunately if you have already drilled then its too late.

I have actually made slight adjustments after drilling and had everything work out fine.
In one instance I made an adjustment after the canopy had been attached to the frame. I don't recommend this for the faint of heart.... do it at your own risk, and only when it is very warm (85+ F.)

revenue

I have actually made slight adjustments after drilling and had everything work out fine.
In one instance I made an adjustment after the canopy had been attached to the frame. I don't recommend this for the faint of heart.... do it at your own risk, and only when it is very warm (85+ F.)
Scott's trying drum up some replacement canopy revenue. :D

Thanks Scott! Yeah, I may tweak it a bit and then attach, but will wait for it to warm a bit.

At least being close shipping wouldn't be an issue should I need it :D

Back