What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Avionics Access Panel

f14av8r

Well Known Member
My RV-8 does not have an avionics access panel in the forward baggage compartment like I've seen in other RV-8s. Not having access to the back of the panel is frustrating. Even the most minor maintenance usually means pulling the entire panel.

I'd like to modify the airplane to include some sort of access panel. I've attached a photo. I realize a lot of builders do this during construction. I'm looking for advice on the feasibility of doing it on a finished airplane. Your thoughts and assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

IMG_3313-L.jpg

It's a very simple mod. The main issue with doing it after the fact is you have to verify what's behind that panel to make sure you don't cut something when you cut out the hole. Just use either a cutoff wheel, or nibbler. Basically you cut a hole in the panel and then rivet on a hinge and flat plate to cover the hole. A couple of nut plates in the top and sides and some screws and you are good to go.

Tail cone added by Andy Karmy, on Flickr

Thanks Andy,
You answered one of my questions. I didn't know if I should open up both the area above and below the rivet line but your photo makes that clear - just above.

I have checked the area behind the panel and there are some minor items that will need to be relocated.

Is this panel structural? In other words, would be be acceptable to simply cut the hole and then cover it with some non-structural attachment method. I'm thinking something like a cover that is simply held on with the heavy duty velcro for example. I'm leaning towards the piano hinge / nut plate route but also considering the easier path.

Thanks,
Randy

No issues

Before I cut mine. Called Vans.
Tom Green told me, no issues, the bulkhead is not structural.

Scott A Jordan

I put an access panel in my first project (RV-8A), never used it. The new RV-8 project will not have one.

Considering a standard EFIS install, removing one or both displays provides a lot of access. It is also an easy task to set up the panel so it comes out and on the bench is just a few minutes.

Carl

For just a moment...

I thought I was looking at a really simple instrument panel of the future -

the kind we'll have when RV's are electric-powered and fly autonomously chocks-to-chocks. Just label the little switch "ON/OFF" and you're pretty much done :p

I put an access panel in my first project (RV-8A), never used it. The new RV-8 project will not have one.

Considering a standard EFIS install, removing one or both displays provides a lot of access. It is also an easy task to set up the panel so it comes out and on the bench is just a few minutes.

Carl

This is what I was thinking. I'm in the process of planning my panel now. Carl, maybe you can give me a few pointers!

Carl

All true Carl but my builder didn't make the panel all that easy to remove and, the older 3400 series AFS EFIS is a rear mount. The panel has to be removed to get them out. It's a pain when all I really want to do is remove a connector to check a wire or something similar.

Sure you can.

We put ours in after the airframe was complete and we were ready to install the panel instruments and wiring. You can remove everything out of your way and cut the hole that you feel is the right size and shape the corners and edges and then install the cove or door " hatch" you like.
We cut the hole and took a peace of .063 and just made a cove to overlay to that opening. Then drilled around the edge at a good spacing holes for #8 screws. Put plate-nuts on the back side of the bulked and installed our new cove plate. This more than matched the strength of the old bulked and can be remove with a screw drive if we need. You will find that you don't open and close it much at all. We may only take it off one a year for inspections and even then it is an option. But you are correct in that it is nice to have when and if you need it to get in from behind the radio stack.
Just two pennies, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited:
This is what I was thinking. I'm in the process of planning my panel now. Carl, maybe you can give me a few pointers!

The base element on panel design is to separate what stuff and wires stay in the plane, and what comes out when you pull the panel.

Below is a photo of my panel test fit on the new RV-8 project (third project with this approach). This will be a full dual SkyView EFIS install (a 10? and a 7?), Dynon radio, XPDR and ARINC module mounted on the bulkhead forward of the panel.

On the removable part of the panel there are breakers only for the removable panel stuff; two for the GTN-650, one for the audio panel and one spare. These breaker get power via a 0.093? pin Molex connector from the Left Vital bus. All the interconnection wiring between the GTN and the audio panel comes out with the panel (as do both trays). The connections to all the other stuff are either coax or D connectors. All of the other panel is connected via D connectors on the back of the component (both SKyView displays and the three SkyView remote modules). All this wiring says in the plane when you pull the panel. All remaining Left Vital load breakers are on the left panel wing, Right Vital load breakers on on the right panel wing - they stay in the airplane when you pull the panel. Non-vital loads and associated switch breakers (landing lights, nav/strobe, Pitot heat, Start solenoid, Voltage Regulator, etc.) are on the side breaker panel.

Note - both the GTN-650 and the PDA360EX audio panel trays get rear supports. For the GTN this is a piece of aluminum connected to the bottom of the tray, the forward end having a nutplate. Support is via a single screw coming in from the baggage compartment. The audio panel is similar, but is supported via the cross tie below the panel.

Goal - never be on your back with your head under the panel.
Carl
09_C493_F6-4_F96-4_EF5-_BFBC-9_EDF93_C243_D7.jpg

Photos of RV-8 Access

Here are a couple of more photos to illustrate.

This is the panel after I opened everything up to do the GTX-345 install. I took care of some other items too so it was easiest just to open it all up. You can see the back side of the baggage compartment panel in the photo. Clearly I'll have to be careful cutting the access panel hole. I'll probably have to pull the panel again to get access / move things.

IMG_2938-L.jpg

This is another shot of Andy Karmy's RV-8 that I found helpful (thanks Andy).

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-19%20at%2018.58.50-L.png

Finally, a shot of my panel when it's installed. The two center EFIS have to be removed from the back of the panel which is almost impossible with the panel fully installed.

7jPjU6O0RjC1hkUpctb3ZA-L.jpg

I made mine while building. Use it quite often. I mounted my essential and main buss fuse blocks on the inside of the door. Pull one piano hinge and it folds forward and down easily exposing all connections.

Randy, in your original picture I note the luggage light switch is unprotected. Maybe think about putting a guard over it so it doesn't get knocked on in flight. Also, I don't see any loops to secure luggage from moving around.

Access Panel

My RV-8 does not have an avionics access panel in the forward baggage compartment like I've seen in other RV-8s. Not having access to the back of the panel is frustrating. Even the most minor maintenance usually means pulling the entire panel.

I'd like to modify the airplane to include some sort of access panel.

Hey Randy,

Here is what I did. You really should consider just a rectangular door that would be probably the simplest type to install in a completed airplane. I am putting mine in during the build....hope it helps...

43003490400_0120270fe7_o.jpg
[/url]comp_CIMG0724 by Robert Corriveau, on Flickr[/IMG]

44094487774_1c8fbb552b_o.jpg
[/url]comp_CIMG0725 by Robert Corriveau, on Flickr[/IMG]

AOA indicator?

Carl

Carl,
Are you planning on having an AOA indicator?

Just thinking.

Daddyman

Found to be a great idea for me ...

I'd like to modify the airplane to include some sort of access panel. I've attached a photo. I realize a lot of builders do this during construction. I'm looking for advice on the feasibility of doing it on a finished airplane. Your thoughts and assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

IMG_3313-L.jpg

I am not home so I cannot provide a picture but in the RV8, I have one and it has proven to be most valuable.

The plane has the large GRT HXr plus two MINIs but even with them removed the access panel is very valuable.

I think that mine was done from a "kit". (Bought the plane built and redid ALL avionics/wiring/switches) I have the high density fuse blocks mounted on the door so I can access any fuse via the baggage door.

Contact me offline and I will get you some photos and more info. "jclarkmail"
over there at the gmail place. :)

Here are a couple of more photos to illustrate.

This is the panel after I opened everything up to do the GTX-345 install. I took care of some other items too so it was easiest just to open it all up. You can see the back side of the baggage compartment panel in the photo. Clearly I'll have to be careful cutting the access panel hole. I'll probably have to pull the panel again to get access / move things.

IMG_2938-L.jpg

This is another shot of Andy Karmy's RV-8 that I found helpful (thanks Andy).

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-19%20at%2018.58.50-L.png

Finally, a shot of my panel when it's installed. The two center EFIS have to be removed from the back of the panel which is almost impossible with the panel fully installed.

7jPjU6O0RjC1hkUpctb3ZA-L.jpg

This is still very doable. Take plenty of pictures, Make a drawing of where everything goes and mark it all as you take it apart. With a hinge or with out a hinge, whatever you like can, then be cut fitted to that bulkhead. I done't have any pictures to send you as I just take ours for granted. It is just a long cover with both top ends tapered at the upper corners, the stretches most all the way across and about two inches from the top and bottom edges and three or four inches from both sides. You can do it. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

P.S. I went out to the sand box today and thought of this post. Send me a PM and I think I have a couple of JPG's I can E-mail to you.

Last edited:
Back