What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixed pitch propeller on O320

Jens

I'm New Here
Hi,
Can anyone advise me what propeller is the best option for a O-320 160hp engine on a RV-4? I am looking for a good cruise propeller for optimum speed. What kind of speed can I expect?
Thanks

If you have a particular MFG in mind, call or write them with the question. They can provide more accurate information, IMO, than a forum. Though other -4 owners may have experience to share, it has probably already happened, as mentioned above.

2ed1n4j.jpg
[/IMG]

I use a Catto 3 blade and this is a screen shot

Hi,
Can anyone advise me what propeller is the best option for a O-320 160hp engine on a RV-4? I am looking for a good cruise propeller for optimum speed. What kind of speed can I expect?
Thanks

If you wish to use the excellent Sensenich metal prop that Vans sells, there is a table with recommended pitch on the Vans site:

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1456178714-132-612&browse=props&product=sen-prop

Those recommendations have proved to yield excellent performance for many years.

Hi,
Thanks

I see your a new member and with this being your first post, don't be miscouraged by some replies to your question. Around this time of year I contribute it to "cabin fever." Hang in there. If you want to learn as much as possible about your RV, this is the place.

Prop Choice

Hi,

Sorry about the negative response you have received this is not normal for VAF members, however you will probably now realise this comes up quite often. Using the search function will bring up loads on props.

It is actually quite a difficult question to answer, it depends on so many variables. Weight and balance issues, wood , composite or alum, the depth of your pocket, etc.

I have a FP sensenich on my 4. A good prop, I can get 1500 climb solo and 170mph at 2400rpm at 3000 feet. Isuues with the prop are 2600 limit and its heavy especilly with a 4 inch extension, I think it will be difficult to get aeros clearance in the UK due to inertia.

I will probably swap to a Catto 3 blade and expect to get more performance if I do. My other prop of interest is the Sensenich ground adjustable. AXO has done some good reports on the Catto if you look his posts up.

We switched from a Sensenich fixed pitch aluminum (2600 RPM limited) to the Sensenich Adjustable Pitch Composite Propeller on my wife's RV-4.
A couple of my friends with Thorp T-18s selected the Whirlwind ground adjustable composite propeller.
I have used a Catto 2 blade on my RV-8 when it was powered by my Rotary engine, and I selected a CATTO 3 blade when I switched to a Lycoming O-360.
All are completely satisfactory, but the ground adjustable props do have the adjust-ability advantage, you could tune in the top cruise speed/RPM you seek at your selected altitude.

Welcome!

Hi Jens,

Here's a link to the handbook for my airplane (RV-4, stock O-320-D2J with a 2nd generation 68 X 72 Catto two-blade):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8EIT6g2n8o_aXhENlczZXhpQWs/edit

All of the performance data for this engine/propeller combination in my airplane starts on page 194. After quite a bit of testing, I found Van's published performance data to be quite accurate with the engine properly "propped" and airspeed corrected. There is also some good propeller info in the builder's handbook if you have access to one of those--if not, you can order an inexpensive CD copy from Van's.

Glad to have you on board--the RV-4 is a great airplane! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send a private message or an email. If you click on my username above, it will take you to a screen with prompts for either.

Cheers,

Vac

I am using a Sterba cause they are $650 brand new. I suspect it will be a few % less efficient than the gorgeous Catto's but those are $3-$4k with the spinner etc (and I am sure they are worth it). I might upgrade after I get flying but for now $ is a consideration for me. It all depends what you want and what you can afford.

Ed Sterba knows what works for the RVs, he has built many props for them.

I am using a Sterba cause they are $650 brand new. I suspect it will be a few % less efficient than the gorgeous Catto's but those are $3-$4k with the spinner etc (and I am sure they are worth it). I might upgrade after I get flying but for now $ is a consideration for me. It all depends what you want and what you can afford.

Ed Sterba knows what works for the RVs, he has built many props for them.

Scott, do you have a web link or email for Sterba?

Sterba on mine too

I run a Sterba on my 4, and love the all around performance. I know I can go faster with a different prop, but I bought my Sterba for 200 bucks and refinished it...been flying it for 6 years now, and bang for the buck factor vs. performance has kept me satisfied. I think most FP RV owners will eventually second guess there prop choice and want to try another at some point, as I'm sure I will. For now, the Sterba is meeting my mission.

Prop

Jens

Hercules propellers in the UK make a very good prop.
Rupert does a very good job

Rob
RV 3 G-BVDC

Prop me up!

Hi,
Thanks

Hei Jens!!!
Wow, Norway rocks, one of my favorite countries. I have deployed there in the F16...great trip, but I digress!
There are several options for the 0-320 on the RV4. I tested NINE different FP props on mine including Craig Catto's first RV 2 blade until I found one I liked. However, I built my Four when things were a bit more Experimental than they are now.
My Goal was 150KTAS@8500'/65% power. The five listed below all exceeded those numbers. Other considerations for me are rain erosion, prop bolt tightening, durability and aerobatics. This eliminated the Sensenich metal FP which I personally disliked across the board. 2600RPM restriction, heavy and not recommended for acro.

Here are some choices based on my personal likes and dislikes. My top 5 rank ordered from 1-5.
1. Craig Catto 2 blade with leading edge protection. All goods except a bit pricey $$$.
www.cattoprops.com
2. Gary Hertzler 2 blade composite. Without a doubt the fastest prop I owned. Gary makes props to order and takes time but worth it. (Gary's props are optimized for high altitude. I normally climbed above 10K to enjoy 170KTAS at 13-15K.)
[email protected]
3. Sensenich composite GA prop. I tested one on an RV9 last year, really liked it.
http://www.sensenich.com/products/item/92
4. Performance propellers. Excellent value in wood. However, rain damage is a potential without care.
http://performancepropellersusa.com/Maintenance.htm
5. Ed Sterba. Same, even less cost but easily damaged in light rain.
http://www.greatplainsas.com/ed.html

Email me offline and I can share my experiences testing other props as well!
CYA!
Smokey
[email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge! What do you think about the Whirl Win ground adjustable?

Champagne aspirations on beer budget!

I think it's called GA200L 17".

Hei Jens,
The WW GA you mention is an excellent prop albeit being priced accordingly. Either it or the Sensenich GA are excellent props, budget notwithstanding :)
V/R
Smokey

Hei Jens,
The WW GA you mention is an excellent prop albeit being priced accordingly. Either it or the Sensenich GA are excellent props, budget notwithstanding :)
V/R
Smokey

Thank you! I think I will consider one of the two. And nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit and flying in Norway. I guess your were in Northern Norway, which is a fantastic area to fly in.
Thanks again for your advise!!

Back