What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting rid of my "cigarette lighter" plug

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Getting rid of my "cigarette lighter" outlet

At a time of glass cockpits and USB plugs I find this outlet disgraceful... (not withstanding the fact that in my case it does not work!) I tried and almost got it to work at my last annual but it stopped working right after I screwed the some 80 screws closing the seats cover (I suspect there is a kind of insulating coating on it that I was unable to remove completely).
Stratux time!
As you may have read on some other threads, ADS-B in is coming strong and cheap lately thanks to this little jewel called Stratux. There is one problem though, the little sucker is sucking lots of Amps and has got potential to suck even more via it's 4 USB ports. So I decided to remove the cigarette lighter plug in my RV-12 and replace it with a panel mounted USB plug. I found this one that seems to fit the bill and ordered it:
http://www.powerwerx.com/oem-connectors/panel-mount-dual-usb-device-charger.html
The main point in addition of providing more amps (4.2) than a standard USB port is that its shape seems fit (or close enough) to insert in place of the cigarette lighter.
Comments are welcome!

Last edited:
The questions that jumped to my mind are: what circuit is the power outlet on, what else is drawing current on that circuit, and what is the fuse rating for that circuit? No sense installing a 4.2A USB outlet if your fuse blows when you try to draw more than, say, 3A.

Assuming no issues there, I like the idea and would like to know if this device fits in the existing hole or if you need to modify the sheet metal at all to mount it.

The questions that jumped to my mind are: what circuit is the power outlet on, what else is drawing current on that circuit, and what is the fuse rating for that circuit? No sense installing a 4.2A USB outlet if your fuse blows when you try to draw more than, say, 3A.

Assuming no issues there, I like the idea and would like to know if this device fits in the existing hole or if you need to modify the sheet metal at all to mount it.

See this thread mentioning the 5 Amps fuse and (almost) its location:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=113250&highlight=cigarette+lighter
I will follow-up on my installation issues if any.

Blue Sea Systems

From West Marine is another kind I've had success with - I'm in the process of changing them out in my trucks now too. Well made and they have a couple options to replace OEM lighters or to install as panel mount.
Patrick

Maybe already overload protected with this mod

I like the idea of replacing venerable cigarette lighter with the more useful high-power USB ports. With such a modification, I would think the amperage limitation of the 12 V input shouldn't be an issue if this 12V-to-USB power adapter reasonably limits itself to the spec'ed 5V@3A Figure that to be 15 Watts plus loss in the conversion (which should be minimal), you should be well within the 60 Watt (12V@5A) limit of the input hidden fusing.

Have done this in the RV9A already. Found some of the replacements for 12 volt socket from China. Around 2 amps which is sufficient. I still talk to pilots that think all USB are the same though... learning about current draw and current capability is important these days. The old resistive heater element of the cigar plugs was pretty crude in the day, but lends itself to conversion.

Powerlet

You might also consider switching to a Powerlet socket and plug. They are 15A I believe. Kind of similar to a cigarette lighter socket in concept, but a bit smaller, MUCH higher quality, with a positive snap lock in place.

They are common on high-end motorcycles for plugging in accessories such as heated vests, intercoms, etc. I have mine wired straight to the battery with a 15A breaker, and I can use it to charge the aircraft battery, or power all kinds of accessories.

Heat, baby...

I installed a cigar lighter plug with the anticipation of not only using for electronics, but potentially for heated clothing. The post about smaller, "tighter" plugs that motorcyclist use is intriguing, but I wonder if it would limit me to a specific brand of heated vests, etc.
I've never used this apparel, so am unsure about the variety and plugs, etc.
I'm still a year from flying, so it's one of those things I'll worry about later?unless I get sucked in to re-wiring my plugs...:D

install the USB hookup in parallel.....keep the cigaret plug to run 10 gal ferry fuel bladder fuel pump. (just not @ the same time)

Sure loved my cig plug for running the air pump to blow up my air mattress at OSH, and the three or four more for neighbors who saw me and asked for a fill up for them.

Powerlet

I installed a cigar lighter plug with the anticipation of not only using for electronics, but potentially for heated clothing. The post about smaller, "tighter" plugs that motorcyclist use is intriguing, but I wonder if it would limit me to a specific brand of heated vests, etc.
I've never used this apparel, so am unsure about the variety and plugs, etc.
I'm still a year from flying, so it's one of those things I'll worry about later?unless I get sucked in to re-wiring my plugs...:D

I think you will find motorcycle heated vests and other items that come with Powerlet plugs since BMW and other bikes come with them. But if yours doesn't, its 5 minutes with wire strippers and screw driver to change the plug.

Same goes for airmattress compressor, battery charger, etc.

Full disclosure, I have no financial interest in Powerlet, but I would really like to see it become a new de-facto standard in place of the lousy cigar lighter plug.

How do the permanent mount USB ports compare to the cigarette lighter insertables as for Radio interference? I bought a insert unit to charge my ipad but it creates so much radio noise it is usless. I would change out to a permanent panel mount if I was assured it would not create radio interference.

thanks
doug

At a time of glass cockpits and USB plugs I find this outlet disgraceful...

Don't go all PC on this handy plug just because of its previous uses. Mine is directly connected to the battery bus so it is handy for charging stuff without the master on (like my dead phone while in the hangar) or running my EFB or in reverse plugging a battery trickle charger in while the plane is parked in the hangar.

how are you going to like a cigarette?

Sweet. You made me spew my adult beverage :)

This plug runs my iPad Air and Dual GPS-150 remote antenna.
So far, it has worked great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Looks good and has the right amp. capacity. This Aukey plug would be nice to have in panel mount configuration. Many cheap cigarette lighter plugs used as USB chargers in cars are limited to 1 Amp. The thing I don't like is the spring loaded contacts that proved to be unreliable in my case. The Powerwerx panel mount USB socket will connect directly to the 12 Volts from the battery via spade connectors.

I want to the other extreme and added another socket on the ELT antenna bracket so I can power my Dual 170 ADS-B receiver sitting on top of the gas tank through a USB converter plug. I like the lighter socket for its versatility in the types of items it can power.

Mission accomplished!

That's it, today, during my annual and as soon as I had the seat ramp cover removed, I installed this http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/panel-mount-dual-usb-42-amp-charger-12v-24v.html after removing the old fashionned cigarette lighter outlet. It took no more than 5 minutes to make the swap as the two outlets are identical in shape, including the 12 volts and ground plugs which are compatible. I have finally got rid of a fixture that belongs to another era and made my RV-12 electronics totally 21st century. I believe my Stratux ADS-B will be happy to feed on this power outlet.

Last edited:
In the earlier 12's the outlet was hot all the time. I understand that was changed later - possibly with the Skyview and associated changes. If one has an earlier model with the hot plug I would be concerned about there being a very low but constant current draw by the cicuitry in the 12V to 5V USB conversion that would eventually run the ship's battery down.

I distribute a 4.2A dual USB panel mount jack. Mine has no LED so it does not glare in your face at night, draws only about 5 mA when not charging so you can keep it hot all the time (so you can charge your phone at flyins without turning on the big master solenoid that draws an amp or two), and has no radio interference. It comes with good quality AMP crimp on connectors.

You can buy them at Spruce and Wicks and a few other places that I don't have links for.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/eadualusbpanel.php?clickkey=264635

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircra...chg?&plpver=10&origin=keyword&filter=&by=prod

Back