What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dog transport may be needed

Moondog

Well Known Member
Blue is a pit bull from Galveston, TX who went missing several months ago. He turned up at the Kokomo (Indiana) Humane Society. The owner of the dog is unable to retrieve her dog due for financial reasons. The full story article is included below.

My point in writing to VAF is to use every avenue to link the KHS shelter in with pilotsnpaws. I already sent Ms. Karen Wolfe, executive director of the KHS, the following email in hopes she would contact pilotsnpaws.

Dear Ms. Wolfe,
Regarding Blue, the found pit bull belonging to JoAnn Navarro, please contact www.pilotsnpaws.org to see if any private pilots are headed from Indiana to the Galveston area. Such transports are done routinely by pilots who have experience with the special needs of pets.

Thank you for keeping Blue safe for my fellow Galvestonian.
Regards,
David S. Morrow​

My thanks to everyone on VAF and pilotsnpaws who try to make this work. Here is the news story from The Galveston County Daily News:
from www.galvestondailynews.com

Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 12:15 am
By T.J. AULDS
GALVESTON ?*JoeAnn Navarro spent weeks checking every veterinarian office and animal shelter in the area in hopes of finding her pit bulls Blue and Maggie. The dogs went missing about six months ago and she had all but given up hope of seeing them again.*
On Wednesday, her phone rang. Blue, who was less than 4 months old when she disappeared, was safe and sound at a Kokomo, Ind. Humane Society shelter more than 1,000 miles away.
The staff at the Kokomo shelter was able to track Navarro down thanks to a microchip implanted when the dog was a pup.*
That good news comes with a wrinkle. Navarro, 69, has to find a way to get her dog home.
With limited funds, she worries Blue won?t return home.*
?I?ve been out of work and about to start a new job,? she said. ?I looked into getting a flight to bring her home, but none of the airlines I talked to would take a pit bull.?
The shelter doesn?t have the room or funds needed to keep Blue for a long stay.*
Karen Wolfe, the executive director of the Kokomo Humane Society shelter, said she could do her part and waive part of the fees required to release the dog back to its owner. So instead of paying $120 to get the dog back from the shelter, it will be $50, she said.
That?s easy, Navarro said. But finding the funds to travel to Indiana to retrieve her dog will be tougher.
?I can?t afford it,? she said. ?I would have to charge everything and then somehow find the money to pay the bill when I get back.?
Shelter staff tried to find someone who was willing to drive Blue home, to no avail.
If Navarro can?t make the drive or find someone to make the 2,200-mile, 34-hour round trip to retrieve Blue, the shelter has little choice but put the dog up for adoption, Wolfe said.
Navarro said the prospect of never seeing her dog again breaks her heart.*
?It?s not like I don?t want to come there and get her,? she said. ?I just can?t afford it.?
Even if Blue is able to come home, the unanswered question is how she ended up in Indiana. Navarro says Blue and Maggie were stolen from her backyard.*
Maggie also has a microchip, but no one has reported finding her.
Jackie Vore, the adoptions manager at the Kokomo Humane Society, said someone brought Blue into the shelter a few weeks ago saying the dog was a stray.
For Navarro, how her dog got to Indiana isn?t important. It?s how Blue gets home that matters now.*
*​

fuel costs, accommodations

Update:
I have arranged local friends who are willing to pay fuel costs, including return trip, for those who can transport the whole way or any leg. In Galveston, overnight accommodations and meals will be provided as well.

Also confident I can arrange hangar space in Galveston.

Back