What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Tire Change

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Well it is time for a tire change. I'm trying to get all the kit together to do it.

I think I have the 5" tires, but they show two different types in the manual. One is the "light wheel" and the other the "classic wheel". I think we have the "light wheel"?

In that case I need an M6 hex tool for the wheel screws, and two KDF01 o-rings for the wheel. What tool is needed for the needle valve, and what o-ring there?

I don't think that the valve stem is removed in the process, but I'm not sure.

Any tips from those more experienced?

I suggest referring to this Beringer Maintenance Manual:

https://www.beringer-aero.com/sites/beringer-aero.com/files/page/342/mm2018gb10april2018ldreduce.pdf

I have replaced two tires on my Beringer nose wheel. It takes me a bit more time, but is not difficult. I do buy the "O"-ring kit from Aircraft Spruce ahead of time and keep a spare kit in the airplane. I did make my own mounting tool that Beringer refers to in the manual.

Check you new tire for defects in the bead. I have had to return a tire with defects. I do balance the wheel afterward.

Yes I have the manual. But I don’t know which wheel we have on the main. Is it the light 5” or the other one? They take different orings

They mention a "thinner" to clean the tire and a lubricant "non-oil" to mount the tire on the wheel. What are the products I should find for that. We used soapy water back in the day in the tire store....

Does anyone have the dimensions for a home made Beringer 5" wheel mounting tool or have the tool to borrow in the Seattle area?

I wonder if the wooden tool is a necessary item and also if the o0ring is not damaged, does it need replacing?
Has anyone reused the o-ring and if so did it work as well?

Tools

I had the wooden tool and spare O-rings but fairly sure I did not need either when I flipped my tires last year. The key is to have a vise wide enough to fit the tire and back protector board to de-rim the tire.

Back