What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv12iS wing kit

Bogdan

Hi everyone
Recently I had my wing kit delivered and, unfortunately, I discovered some issues with the spars:
1. One flange W-1206k is flipped 180 degrees and riveted with those big 3/16 solid rivets
2. All .129 rivet holes misaligned in spar and spar stub left and right both spars
After I made Vans aware about this they came up with a fixing solution which requires to handle both spars to a LAA inspector and mechanic ( I live in the UK) and not to replace the spars. I’m still waiting for LAA to clear the issue without any paperwork but this is less likely. I’m not concerned about structural integrity as I trust Vans engineers but more on a commercial level.
Has anyone had a similar problem and what’s your experience/opinion about that.
Thank you

This was a recent manufacturing error. A customer in Australia had the same issue. The fix for him was the same. There's no reason that the big rivets can't be drilled out and re-set.. its just beyond the capabilities of most RV-12 builders considering the size of the rivet. Of course, its in a structure that you want to have rivets set perfectly.

I'm surprised your civil aviation authority would care or need paperwork on it, since you're building things to plan.. granted, having to go through a couple extra steps to get to the end result.

Thank you, the problem is that sometimes takes more than one month for an initial advice from LAA. Hopefully not this time...

Back