What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pipe thread bottom wheel brake fitting

i have to replace a brake line on my rv-8, found the bottom pipe thread fitting loose, being a 90 degree angle part half a turn goes and hits the brake disk.
What a pain, will have to remove the wheel, the brake disk assembly just to tighten the fitting in the bottom. I was considering dremmeling the **** fitting and removing the elbow and adding an extension to the fitting to allow rotationl Anyone one else having the same problem>?

I’m not familiar with the exact RV8 configuration, but typically you can remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper pads on and pull the caliper off without removing the wheel or disk. That would be for Cleveland brakes. Once the caliper is off you can turn the 90 degree fitting.

thanks Dan: the fitting i need to replace is the bottom one, the interference is with the brake disk and not the calipher, the upper fitting is straight so that goes in without problems.
thanks anyhow

ak

That seems like a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. Two caliper bolts, and/or the wheel? You do realize you have to pull the prop to replace the alternator belt? :eek:
I recall the first step in replacing a Honda CRV starter was "remove the intake manifold"..... ummm, what?
So, buck up and git in there! (and use some thread sealant)

Dan is saying to remove the pad bolts and the caliper will slide inboard on the pins.

Last edited:
Caliper

As was said earlier, two 7/16 bolts and the caliper slides out. Sounds like an easy five minute job after getting the wheel pants off.

Brake Disk

The OP states that his bottom fitting is blocked by the brake disk.

I don't know about other brand of caliper fitting placement as I have Grove.

I have the straight fitting on the bottom, the 90* is on top and the brake disk doesn't interfere.
Maybe just switch the top and bottom???
And yes, don't forget the thread sealant !!!
IMG_4870.jpeg

Last edited:
i have to replace a brake line on my rv-8, found the bottom pipe thread fitting loose, being a 90 degree angle part half a turn goes and hits the brake disk.
What a pain, will have to remove the wheel, the brake disk assembly just to tighten the fitting in the bottom. I was considering dremmeling the **** fitting and removing the elbow and adding an extension to the fitting to allow rotationl Anyone one else having the same problem>?

To remove the wheel you have to first remove the outboard brake pad. Once you have done that, you can move the caliper inboard, so you won’t have to remove the wheel.
It is very atypically that the 90 degree fitting would be on the bottom.

The OP states that his bottom fitting is blocked by the brake disk.

I don't know about other brand of caliper fitting placement as I have Grove.

I have the straight fitting on the bottom, the 90* is on top and the brake disk doesn't interfere.
Maybe just switch the top and bottom???
And yes, don't forget the thread sealant !!!
View attachment 5807

thanks that is exactly what i need will modify nice pic by the way
thank you

Back