What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Cover - Storing Outside

Derek343

I'm about to go pickup my new RV I purchased, but I don't have a hangar to store it yet. I plan on storing it on a tie down until a sunshade opens up. Then sunshade until a hangar opens up.

I understand the big thing is making sure the avionics don't get wet. So, a canopy cover is required. I found a company that offers that.
https://www.aircraftcovers.com/RV3

They make whole aircraft covers, but that seems a bit overkill. Anyone have suggestions on that? My first RV and first time without a hangar.

Thanks!

I've been using Van's lightweight canopy cover for the past 3 years. Seems to work well. I think they have one for a 3

Thanks! I wouldn't have ever consider the possibility of the cover clouding the canopy. That makes sense!

I checked out the link - there is a lot more things like control surface locks, etc.

Bruce's Custom Covers

These may be a little pricey, but worth every penny. They are high-quality, and the people are great to work with. When I was in the LSA business, we didn't go anywhere overnight without one. Our airplane's doors were lightweight and notoriously leaky, but these covers kept the interiors dry. If I remember correctly, they do require a re-application of water repellent after a while if kept outside. The outside is a tough canvas material, but the liner is very soft, so it won't scratch your canopy. We tried various types of lighter-weight "sunbrellas" and other covers over the years, but none of them kept water out and most of them shifted around in the wind. Our Bruce's cover stayed put even when our plane flipped over in the SNF tornado.

https://www.aircraftcovers.com/

Katie

We’ve got Bruce’s covers for all of our low-wing airplanes, including the -3, and they fit wonderfully. That means they don't move around To scratch the canopies! If we are tying down in a desert region, we generally don't use the covers because of micro-grit blowing around, and our hard and fast rule is that the inside of the cover never touches anything but the canopy or itself - they stay clean so as not to get grit on them.

Not cheap, but creat covers!

Outside storage has done more damage to airplanes over the years of course what part of the country you’re doing this in Has a lot to do with how it holds upIf it’s a nice plane it won’t stay nice too long outside

I wouldn't recommend the lightweight type covers for more than part time use. That's what I've always used because of weight but still I've been through three of them in 20 years. I think I'm on the edge of what's reasonable to expect from a lightweight cover since some years my plane has spent as much as 1/3 of the time outside. Some specifics:

- There's no "soft" underside so there can be scuffing over time if there's continuous wind

- The material deteriorates from UV exposure. My first cover lasted about 7 years before literally falling apart at the seams (admittedly I don't know how well the heavier types hold up to UV either).

- The strap anchor points are pretty tough but not bullet-proof, as I found out after trying down before a storm and coming back the next day to find one of the points torn loose and the thing flapping against my HS leaving a big permanent scuff-mark in the paint.

- In any kind of wind it can be really hard to get the lightweight cover to stay in place long enough to get the straps pulled around and latched; sometimes impossible without a helper.

All of that said, I'll probably stick with the same type and keep getting new ones as they wear out, as I do like the light weight and compact storage.

Last edited:
For any cover, follow the washing instructions carefully. If you let it shrink, it won't fit so well. Don't ask how I found out....

Dave

Full cover, Bruce's Custom Covers

I spent $11,000 painting my RV-3 and after watching the paint deteriorate in the 5 years I owned it before new paint, I went with a full cover. One of the first purchases I made when I bought it was the Bruce's canopy cover and I have nothing but good things to say. I have a prop cover from them as well as the cowl plugs. After paint I bought the full cover and had used it for about 6 months before I was able to move into a hangar. The full cover does fit nicely, its tight, but not difficult to put on, only takes a few minutes, but does involve laying on the ground most times. And a bit tricky by yourself if its windy on the ramp, but not too bad.
I recommend it if the plan is to be outside for extended length of time. Its an investment, but the paint costs are way more.
Best of luck

In the U.K. so not much use to you but I had this made when I was faced with outside storage but fortunately I found a hangar space. Keeps the dust, paint and bird guano from the WW2 hangar spoiling my paint!

Last edited:
Back