What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 aerobatics

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Getting toward the end of phase 1 and need to do some aerobatics. Please share what you did to comply, entry speeds if you have them. Many Thanks in advance.

Chat to Marvin McGraw who is on this forum, he does aero in his 14 all the time.
Figs

Getting toward the end of phase 1 and need to do some aerobatics. Please share what you did to comply, entry speeds if you have them. Many Thanks in advance.

For phase 1 sign offs, I did loops, rolls, and spins. Loops were entered at 160kts and 2.5G pulls and rolls also 160kts and 15 degrees nose up prior to rolling. The goal is to show these maneuvers can be done safely at xyz speed which may or may not give you the best IAC score, merely that they can be done safely. Spins obviously at stalling speeds. Be sure to list each maneuver and entry speed used in your phase one sign off.

For phase 1 sign offs, I did loops, rolls, and spins. Loops were entered at 160kts and 2.5G pulls and rolls also 160kts and 15 degrees nose up prior to rolling. The goal is to show these maneuvers can be done safely at xyz speed which may or may not give you the best IAC score, merely that they can be done safely. Spins obviously at stalling speeds. Be sure to list each maneuver and entry speed used in your phase one sign off.
This pretty well covers it. Instead of 160kts, I used a range of 135 to 155Kts. 155kts or 160Kts gives more margin. For loops I used 2.5 to 3G. The airshow guys like 4G to get a nice round loop. You will need to list each maneuver you flew with the entry speed. I did all amateur maneuvers including inverted stalls entry. Although I did do snap rolls for Phase 1, I do not do them routinely. A snap roll is very hard on your airframe. It twists the wings and tail in ways an RV is not really intended. Also, I did not do any tail slides because of the stress that places on what is really a cross country aircraft.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, it's been awhile since I did any aerobatics, did a roll yesterday and felt the rust.

Back